Cornell and Katzenberg

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2006, 5:51 pm

BTW here's some extra details on the speech:

He very strongly endorsed getting traditional animation or 2d training: "It will only serve you." He reccommended taking life drawing classes, etc....and getting the most out of your degree, whether at art/animation school or a tradtional university.

A couple of people also asked if he sees the traditional animated musical returning; it seemed like he was very much in favor of it, but felt that it is important to "reinvent the wheel" for today's audiences (he didn't specify what) because if you do the musicals EXACTLY as they were done in the early '90s they "wouldn't work particularly well today."

He is a very big Jerry Seinfeld fan which was one of the reasons why he chose him to produce Bee Movie. "I don't think any comedian has given me more laughter." He also said that Bee Movie is extremely different in tone, pacing, and story from past animated films. (again, he didn't specifiy much beyond this) He said that he realizes that Seinfeld isn't known all that much outside America, Canada and some of Europe, but he hopes that the "observational sense of humor will translate."

He sees the "Next frontier" in animation as being in "India...a place of great opportunity for us."

When asked how he feels about new SFX done in film, (ostentibly motion capture) he said he feels those kind of effects are better suited to live-action films and are "not aesthetically appealing to me" and while used in animated films come off as "somewhat lifeless" Although they capture an actor's movements "I'd rather see the real actor." Here here! :)

The student he came with to give the speech was Mahesh Ramasubramanian, Cornell M.S. '00, who was enrolled in the computer graphics department. He is in charge of SFX for DW animated films (meaning, I guess, things like bright light, shiny objects, rain, mud, fur, grass, etc...) and is supervising the SFX on Bee Movie.

Here's a pic via the Cornell news service! :)

Since he's at the lecturn I think this was when he introduced the Shrek clips.
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 21st, 2006, 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 21st, 2006, 5:57 pm

He sees the "Next frontier" in animation as being in "India...a place of great opportunity for us."
Uh oh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2006, 5:59 pm

That doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. Outsourcing doesn't mean they get rid of American animators. I think even WDFA is doing some outsourcing but still keeping the Disney animators very much in the picture.

Also these are the days of video conferencing and global media. After all Flushed Away WAS done in Glendale AND Bristol. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 21st, 2006, 6:11 pm

Why are so many animators being born in India these days?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2006, 11:09 pm

ShyViolet wrote:SFX done in film, (ostentibly motion capture) he said he feels those kind of effects are better suited to live-action films and are "not aesthetically appealing to me" and while used in animated films come off as "somewhat lifeless" Although they capture an actor's movements "I'd rather see the real actor." Here here! :)
Guess that explains how Monster House ended up at Sony then... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 22nd, 2006, 5:57 am

Yeah, good point! :P

Also, about India, just want to say that thanks to Bollywood (Bombay's film industry) they release more films a year than ANY COUNTRY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD INCLUDING THE US! There have been some awesome films to come out of India.

Here's some more info on India and animation:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ation.html

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 24th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Whatevahs. I still don't like what he said about India at all.

Personally, it sounds like Katzenberg is being his usual creative-but-stubborn self, but that may just be me. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2006, 2:10 am

All movie people are creative and stubborn. It comes with the territory. :P
Nah, j/k WJ, I know what you mean.... :wink: It also makes me a bit nervous but I'm hoping for the best. And I don't think they would do it if it meant compromising on quality....
Anyway, WDFA is also going to be doing this soon...for better or worse I guess. :?

No one knows the future....(except Ben of course. :P)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2006, 3:10 pm

The whole world will be using India for outsourcing animation soon.

The problem will be when the first couple of DreamWorks and Disney shows (they'll be TV series and driect-to-videos at first) are hits and you'll find more Indian studios popping up, competing for the same jobs, lowering costs to win those jobs, and then churning out lower quality product.

This is the future as I have seen it. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 26th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Oooh. Dreary prediction there. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Um...<I>prediction</I>...? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 26th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Oops. Pardon me. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2006, 6:11 pm

I knew you'd say that. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Yeah, it's kind of depressing I admit.

Thanks for the prediction Ben, but I sort of hope it doesn't come true.... :wink: :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 26th, 2006, 7:27 pm

"Sort of'?...;)