Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 24th, 2010, 10:43 pm

He was one of the most consistent anime directors today.

His filmwork and TV series Paranoia Agent are definitely worth checking out.

Paprika, Millennium Actress, and Perfect Blue are among the best thrillers I've seen done in animation or live-action.

It's a darn shame that he passed away so young. The suddenness of it is very shocking.... Totally unexpected.

Besides Hayao Miyazaki, I don't think there's another anime director living today that would guarantee a good or at least thought-provoking time at a theater.

Pretty much everyone else I can think of is so inconsistent or hit-and-miss that I couldn't make a recommendation for them...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 24th, 2010, 11:05 pm

I don't know. I kinda like Mamoru Oshii (sp?). His films are very talky and slow moving without much action, and yet they never fail to keep me interested somehow. It's a neat trick.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Satoshi Kon passes away

Post by droosan » August 24th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Very very sad news. :cry:

Animation has lost another master story-teller.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 25th, 2010, 5:15 am

Paprika's BD is still waiting for a price crash on my wish list. I've pretty much taken to not blind buying anymore, what with the wealth of stuff I have and the lack of room to store it all, but I'm looking forward to seeing this at some point.

I saw Tokyo Godfathers and while it didn't leave as much of an impression on me as it obviously did for other people, I did appreciate what it was setting out to do. Paranoia Agent sounds good too, if just from its title.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » August 25th, 2010, 11:38 am

Terrible, terrible news.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 25th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Another Japanese animation pioneer died... He was a key animator on many classic anime features.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... asses-away

Credits:
Conan, the Boy in Future, Dagger of Kamui, Lupin III: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon, Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo, Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, Grave of the Fireflies and Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

That's not even the full list!

I've got a bunch of those films and they're excellent! The Lupin films (except Gold of Babylon from what I hear) and the last two on the list (both Ghibli features) are particularly stand-out.

Hate to say it, but deaths generally happen in three's.

Oh, and just because a bunch of artists smoke like chimneys that isn't necessarily responsible for all cancers.

I've had family members die from cancer who were NOT smokers. My grandmother and uncle (blood-related; he was her son and my dad's older brother) both died from pancreatic cancer. She had liver or gall bladder cancer in addition to pancreatic. Prognosis for life expectancy is anywhere from 6 months to maybe 18 if you're lucky. Very few people live more than a year after diagnosis. And they CAN do surgery and try to remove as much of the tumor as possible but these cancers are particularly aggressive and generally spread to other tissues and organ systems.

A bunch of these things are genetic and just run in families. You have to be aware of your family history and plan accordingly.

No word yet on the cause of Yamauchi's death...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cammie King Passes Away

Post by ibrmacf » September 1st, 2010, 4:57 pm

Child actor Cammie King from "Gone with the Wind" and the uncredited voice of the young Faline in Disney's "Bambi" has died. Just thought I should mention it.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... Fort-Bragg

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 2nd, 2010, 3:24 pm

Up until now, I had no idea that Bonnie Blue and Faline were the same person!

Anyway, this is very sad to hear. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Glenn Shadix dead at 58

Post by Dan » September 8th, 2010, 11:27 am

Glenn Shadix passed away yesterday at the age of 58. Shadix, who has been wheelchair-bound for sometime, was having mobility problems and had a fatal fall when he hit his head on the way down in the kitchen, according to his sister Susan Gagne.

Shadix was a bit of a regular in Tim Burton films, best known for playing decorator Otho in Beetlejuice. He also provided the voice of The Mayor in The Nightmare Before Christmas and was Senator Nado in Planet of the Apes.

Shadix also made a career in voice acting. In addition to voicing The Mayor in the video games Oogie's Revenge and Kingdom Hearts II, he voiced The Brain and Monsieur Mallah in the fifth season of Teen Titans, Tso Lan and the early voice of Xiao Fung in the Jackie Chan Adventures, and Lonnie the Shark in The Mask animated series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Billie Mae Richards dies

Post by ibrmacf » September 13th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Voice actress Billie Mae Richards, most notably as the voice of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, had died aged 89. More here:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2010/09/10 ... hards.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Billie Mae Richards dies

Post by gaastra » September 16th, 2010, 4:43 pm

She was also tenderheart in care bears.

AV Team
AV Team

Game developer sacrifices self to save pregnant wife

Post by Dan » September 17th, 2010, 11:11 am

Brian Wood, 33-year-old lead designer as Relic Entertainment, died on September 3, 2010 in Washington state when his car was struck by an oncoming Chevy Blazer. It is believed that the 21-year-old woman driving the Blazer was under the influence.

Brian's pregnant wife, Erin, was in the passenger seat of his car. In a split-second decision, Brian swerved his car to put himself directly in the path of the oncoming SUV. Had the two cars collided head-on, everyone would have been killed. The SUV had two other passengers who themselves were killed, according to police.

"He was always sacrificing himself for me and the baby," Erin said to The Province.

Relic Entertainment has called upon the gaming community to help out Erin and her unborn child, setting up a memorial trust in Brian's name within days of the tragic accident.

"Brian always told me about how close-knit and wonderful the video game community was, but I had no idea until this tragedy just how special a group it really is," Erin wrote in an open letter. "From all the articles and comments, to the emails and donations, I am simply stunned and so touched by the love, kindness, and generosity shown to me and my family."

For information on how you can help out the Wood family, visit the following link:
http://www.brianwoodmemorialtrust.com/

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Billie Mae Richards dies

Post by Dacey » September 17th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Wait...Rudolph was voiced by a girl?!?! As a lifelong "Rudolph" nut, I can't believe that I didn't know this until now!

So sad that she's gone. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Au revoir, Tony Curtis; RIP

Post by GeorgeC » September 30th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Just announced...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep ... film-world

Tony Curtis died of cardiac arrest at his Las Vegas home Wednesday evening. He was 85.

He survived by 5 children and several ex-wives.

One of the leading actors in the 1950s and 1960s, he was famously married to the late Janet Leigh and is the father of actress Jamie Lee Curtis.

Curtis also did his fair share of voiceover work including a guest shot on "The Flintstones" as Stony Curtis.

He was a legend, and will be missed. There are fewer actors of his generation every day...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Au revoir, Tony Curtis; RIP

Post by droosan » September 30th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Tony Curtis was also the star of one of my very favorite 'silly' films, The Great Race .. which itself was the inspiration for Wacky Races, Penelope Pitstop, Dastardley & Muttley and Tom Slick.

He was in many other great movies, of course .. and he will be missed. :(