Blu-Ray has won the Hi-Def war!

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 20th, 2009, 2:28 am

Ben,

Have you tried a third-party image capture program?

These do work on websites that disable image capturing (Right-click, Save) functions. They might also work on Paused Video on a computer monitor.

I've got one on my Mac called "Capture Me" that's freeware. There might be something comparable for PC.

All I have do is boot up the program and overlay a box (it's like using the Rectangular Marquee tool in PhotoShop) over the image on the website I want to capture, size the box frame to encompass the image, and then click to save a PNG capture of the image to my desktop.

There's no such thing as fool-proof DRM built into anything anymore. Where there's a will, there's a way (program) to defeat DRM!

Sometimes you have to think out of the box...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Windows users have the "Print Screen" option for things like that...a simple press of the right button on the keyboard copies an exact image of your display to the clipboard. Open up a Paint program and presto...the entire screen (including whatever was on it from video or on the web) is there ready to be cropped down.

Thing is, with DirectX playback such as what PowerDVD uses for BD, you only get a black frame, because the "video" is an overlay between the player and the screen (as far as I can understand it) so there "is" no video actually playing to capture. If only it were that simple!

There <I>are</I> some grabber programs out there that suggest they can capture <I>anything</I> on your screen, including games and such, but until I see one that specifically says "yes, BD" and that it <I>works</I> I'm not going to attempt to download and install/uninstall a few different attempts and screw up my new system the way the old one got messed up.

Looks like we may use the old "camera pointed at the screen" route for a while...which is <I>absolutely POINTLESS</I> when it comes to trying to convey how much better BD is for the studios!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 20th, 2009, 5:31 pm

You may not have any other option then.

Unless you can get something that cracks BD, I just don't know what else to think of.

Have you looked on some of the websites that talk about BD on PC and Mac? Somebody might have some tips and leads to safe programs.

I don't know what else to suggest. I don't have a BD-drive installed in my computer because A) there's no point with as old as the computer is; I don't think I have the processor speed and bandwidth for BD; B) I don't have a reason for it right now seeing as I'm sticking with Standard-Def digital on the TV for a while longer until I upgrade to HDTV (when I can afford it); and C) even if I had the HDTV, hi-def cable, and a Blu-Ray recorder/hi-def DVR, the blank BD media is still too expensive IMHO to be worthwhile.

The newness of BD kind of defeats itself, I think. There's also a far more concerted effort by the entertainment industry this time around to keep people from recording off TV premium channels -- this time in hi-def. Other than hi-def DVR, glorified hard drives, there isn't a dedicated Blu-Ray recorder on the market in the States yet and there probably won't be for the forseeable future because of blocks by the Studios.

BD-drives built with any kind of decent burning speed (anything below $200 is really slow from what I hear) are still far more expensive than DVD-burners, too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2009, 2:38 pm

The really odd thing is, there are plentiful BD ripper programs out there that seem to convert from BD to DVD, which would then allow image caps. That seems to be the way all those other sites are doing it.

So...the studios lean on PowerDVD and the like to remove the image capture function in case someone captures an entire movie frame by frame, but then turns a blind eye when someone brings out a program that will rip the entire movie in one hit?

What madness! :roll:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 22nd, 2009, 3:15 pm

Yeah,

You put it that way, it doesn't make sense!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Hooray for Blu-ray!

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2009, 4:00 pm

We have the "New DVD Thread" which only gets a nudge here and there nowadays, but I still thought BD was new enough to perhaps allow us to keep up with the odd pickup here and there in a new thread.

Okay, okay...this is more because having really started to pick up BDs since the new year, I've recently been out and doing what I said I wouldn't: I'm upgrading DVDs to BDs.

So far, actually, I haven't gone nuts. I hardly get time to watch the DVDs I have so while I'd <I>love</I> to replace what I can for BD, realistically there's little point swapping some of the titles I have for the once or twice I may watch something every year or two, for which upscaling was invented (and, despite not being quite so good, will do me for now).

But I will admit to starting again with my animation titles, and a recent flurry on Disney and Pixar titles got me to thinking we should have a BD thread here.

Just as I did with LD and DVD, I started picking up the odd title before I got the player. I actually knew I was going to go Blu rather than HD-DVD but wanted to wait until the second gen of Profile 2.0 machines were out there, which is right about now. I like to pick up a deck that's going to get me through the next few years as opposed to swapping every two or three, but the Pioneers currently being introduced are <I>very</I> nice.

Of course, I started reviewing BDs for the site after picking up my combi-drive, which ironically plays both BD and HD-DVD, so at the moment there's an HDMI cable running out the back of my PC to the Panasonic TV we also bought around the same time, which does us for now until we move and set up a dedicated home theater room. Ironically, the BDs look better on the Panny than they do downconverting to SD to play out through the SharpVision projector we have, but that will be fixed when we have a total upgrade.

As such, my titles are a combination of purchased and review copies, and though I am still picking up good old DVDs, I have started to aim for Blu where possible.

So, anyway, I'll set us rolling... :)

<B>Blade Runner: 5 Disc Edition</B> - first purchase a couple of Christmasses ago. I'd bought the deluxe briefcase edition on DVD but Amazon's crazy $20 sale on the regular 5 disc set was too good to pass up!

<B>Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay</B> - bought, and signed by Harold & Kumar themselves, at last summer's Comic Con. I found the first film to be a comedic blast and couldn't pass up the opportunity. Still need to pick up the first one on BD, though I have an off-air DVD-R.

<B>Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition</B> - I actually got the DVD to review but knowing the player was on the way, I couldn't help but make sure I didn't miss the BD edition.

<B>WALL-E</B> - same deal...we got the DVD for review but I knew I'd kick myself if I missed out on the BD. If there was one series of films I promised myself to keep up with on BD, it was Pixar's releases.

<B>Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa</B> - I'd like to keep up with DWs titles too, so this was the first BD that came along as a review possibility for me, having upgraded to the new PC with the combo drive in it.

<B>Beverly Hills Chihuahua</B> - okay, it's a fun enough movie, and to be honest one of the best things about it is the look, so the transfer here is pretty neat. Luckily, this was a review disc, so all it took was my time!

<B>Pinocchio: Platinum</B> - another review copy, the result of which should be up <I>real</I> soon!

<B>Bolt</B> - just in, with a review on the way!

On top of those, I just went for a bit of a catch-up, ordering the past Pixar BDs: <B>Cars</B> and <B>Ratatouille</B>, as well as <B>The Nightmare Before Christmas</B>.

There are other animated titles on my priority list: Horton Hears A Who! and Kung Fu Panda to name a couple, but I'm happy to wait on price drops. Shrek The Third I'm happy to pass on for now, waiting for the inevitable multi-disc set for all the movies when they're done, and likewise with the Ice Age films. The other Disneys I'm sure will get second issues at some point, though Chicken Little and Meet The Robinsons are tempting.

When it comes to live-action, I'm selecting accordingly, though essentially already have quite a few classic reissues on my pre-order lists. I realise I'm probably pretty light considering the amount of discs some of you other guys must have even by now, but then after building up over 2500+ DVDs, I'm not in a rush to go out and start replacing them <I>all</I>! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 24th, 2009, 4:44 pm

*needs to get a Blu-Ray player already*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 24th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I initially thought I'd resist the temptation to do too much upgrading to BD, but have taken the plunge and am upgrading most things that I can now. Once you get used to HD, the old SD DVDs don't look quite as good anymore. And I know that a future upgrade to a projector will make the difference even more apparent. As a collector, one just wants the very best, right? Besides, I'm not buying nearly so many DVDs now, as I have a "mature" collection (i.e. I have most the things I'd want) and can now focus on upgrading.

Animation and sci-fi gets top priority. I now have over 100 HD discs, with about 30-40% being HD DVD (obviously, I'm about done collecting those now) and the rest Blu-ray.

I have learned (finally) that everything goes on sale eventually, so I hold off on the bigger sets until seeing a great deal. I just got the Austin Powers set for about 70% off from iNet ($24.99 plus shipping). I got a similar deal on the Matrix set from Amazon.ca. I still want to get the Harryhausen and Batman movie sets, and the Star Trek movies next.

I'm also now purchasing BDs of movies I'd initially held off on, like Dogma. With all the great sales, BDs often go for cheaper than the DVDs did upon release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » March 24th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Here is my Blu Ray Movie Collection.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collec ... eleasedate

I have 13 titles thus far.
I'm a little behind on the Pixar Movies.
Cars, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt I want.
I also have some other Disney movies that are on my "blu-ray wish list" Tinker Bell, Ratatouille, Bedtime stories, Dinosaur, The Wild, Bug's Life, and Monster's Inc. Probably more to come .

I have one question.

Is the Pixar Short Film Collection worth buying?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 25th, 2009, 12:06 pm

It <I>could</I> be, if you don't have the DVD.

I noted something very odd with the DVD in my review: while the images were now digital for some of the older shorts, they looked even better still in the 20 minute documentary that comes on the disc.

It was very clear that Luxo and Tin Toy especially were much sharper and more stable in the clips seen in the doc than they were in the transfers of the entire shorts.

I wonder if the standard def transfers were still using older elements and that the doc used more recent transfers. If so, the Blu-ray <I>could</I> use those newer elements too...but I know I was very disappointed that the shorts did not look as good as they did in the documentary clips.

I wasn't even looking for that, or ever expecting it, so when the clips were very noticeably better looking I had to wonder what the heck was going on.

That's what's stopped me picking up the BD of this so far, since if the tranfers are the same and there are clearly better ones out there, I'm happy to wait for them to all come around again...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » March 26th, 2009, 8:37 pm

I don't have the DVD. So I'm leaning towards buying it. I'm not completely sold on it though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 8th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Just ordered in the Amazon sale:

* Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle (had this on an off-air DVD-R but the second one on BD, so it made sense to take advantage of the price cut)

* The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen (I think it's a very entertaining film and the extras are great, including Constantine Nasr's excellent documentary. I borrowed a friend's DVD but have held off buying until now because I knew I wanted to go BD on this as an upgrade from the Criterion LD package)

* The Godfather: Coppola Restoration (I don't think I've even gone through all of the original DVD set but the reviews for this have been ecstatic, they're great films - yes even III in its way - and the normally $125 set is going for half price, just $52.99. Now <I>that's</I> an offer I couldn't refuse!)

Also have some other review discs on the way...will keep updating here and there! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 8th, 2009, 11:21 pm

That Godfather set has been on sale pretty much since it came out. Maybe Amazon sees it as a loss leader. I scooped mine up a while back. It was a no brainer purchase at that price for sure!

Munchausen is on my wish list. I could pick it up fairly cheaply locally, but have to check for bilingual packaging. (That's why I mainly shop for DVDs/BDs at Amazon.com.)

My Spirit Blu-ray just shipped. (Yes, I actually bought that one. I like to live dangerously.) The latest 007 film was my last purchase. Actually, once I pick up the Batman, X-Men and Harryhausen sets, I'll be pretty happy. Everything else is gravy. Um, okay, I want some Spielberg titles and Indy too. And Aliens. But otherwise, it's amazing how many big releases have already come out in fine editions.

Banned
Banned

Post by Christmas_Boy42 » April 9th, 2009, 1:57 am

I haven't taken the plunge yet but plan to go with the Pixar and stop motion films first. I question if every film will look better in Blu because I tried some standard DVD's on a big screen TV of a friend and the artifacts were REALLY bad. These films were live action and restored and it made me wonder if hi-def will really improve every single film. I've also seen these films on film and they didn't look nearly as bad from the DVD. It's hit and miss when they get blown up and I've found some older DVD titles look better on a big screen than their more recent reissues.

Anyway, when I make the jump I'll probably go with CGI films first because those make sense in why they'd look better. For other films it will probably only be just the ones I really like. Do we really need to have every single film and TV show we enjoy in yet another format? (FYI, TV shows shot on tape will not benefit from Blu either.)

I just don't see this format catching on with the general public the way DVD did. The discs have remained in the 30-40 price for several years where DVD came down to the 15-20 range rather quickly. The players are still high priced and not coming down at the fast rate the DVD players did. Also your average person isn't a film buff so they could care less about any resolution benefit. In addition you need a big screen TV to notice any difference anyway. There are just too many cons with Blu right now to see it overtaking DVD as the dominent format. I think we'll see downloadables take over long before Blu does and I prefer a hard disc to a download myself but the masses don't seem to.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 9th, 2009, 6:59 am

I was skeptical at first too, and I have to say I'm still more forgiving than some who can't watch upscaled DVDs (which still look good enough for me given the once every couple of years I watch 'em), but the true HD signal BD pumps out is worth going for. On a bigger (essential) screen, you'll really notice the difference.

I have about 50 titles that I will <I>definitely</I> upgrade, mostly my favorite films and some of the bigger visual spectacles that I know I'll watch (I was tempted by The Matrix set, but since having the DVD versions I've never watched the last two more than once and see that as a waste).

But I'm mainly buying all new titles on BD now, except where they're "secondary titles" that I'd like for the heck of it and would be happy to watch once every couple of years in upscaled resolution. The better priced players <I>do</I> do a better job of upscaling too...a friend who has the low-priced UK option showed me an upscaled and it looked pretty convincing, but another who's dad has gone all out on the Pioneer Elite that I'm looking at getting showed me one on that compared to a real BD and it was very close, the only thing being a bit of better coloring on the BD. But again...I don't want to start updating over 2500 DVDs just for the one time in my life I'm ever really likely to watch them again.

BD has already caught on with the general public, by the way: its growth has outpaced standard DVDs in the same timeframe, especially impressive given the current climate. And Disney bundling the regular DVD with the future proof BD is a big plus: I believe sales of the combo packs are a huge chunk of those titles' business, though I don't know if they count them as DVD sales or BD sales. Nevertheless they are helping people convert, as is the selection of the bigger titles: I'm frankly surprised we're seeing Pinocchio and Snow White on the format so soon, but their releases just go to show how much BD - with all those HD sets out there waiting to be filled with appropriate content - has been adopted.