Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Incredibles

Post by Dajoka86 » February 23rd, 2005, 12:46 pm

I will lose what little respect I have for the Academy if the Incredibles does not win. It's too good not to!
DJK

http://davidkantro.blogspot.com/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 23rd, 2005, 12:51 pm

Two quick A-N/Oscar notes:

- Deadline to enter the Oscar prediction contest (and possibly win a $25 Amazon gift certificate!) is this Friday at 5pm ET. Details here
http://animated-news.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279. If you've already entered make sure your name is on the list of submitted entries.

Our first official live chat will be held during the Oscar telecast. Talk about the show, the results, and I'll keep everyone updated on who is leading the contest throughout the night! Details here http://animated-news.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » February 23rd, 2005, 6:45 pm

" Yes, because he obviously enjoys "supervising" rather than actual work. "

I guess supervising animators don't work then....

" Whoa, whoa, so now Katzenberg's Hitler??"

I'm just saying everyone likes and hates a leader.

"C'mon Ed! And why would so many animators have participated saying goodbye to him when they could have lost their jobs for it? (both in Florida and California)."

Why would so many not go? C'mon....

"No, people went because everyone knew that Shrek was an AWESOME film."

Awesome? LOL!!!

"So many people I know LOVE that film and always talk about their favorite parts."

But you're in the target age group....Duh! Og coursse those people will like it.

"And most people don't even know who "the makers of Shrek" and "the makers of SharkTale" are. There are people out there who think Shrek is Disney, Shark Tale is Pixar.... Rolling Eyes "

Despite the act DSharktale's trailer gloated "From the makers of Shrek"...

"And how do you explain the HUGE DVD sales for both films??"

animated DVDs ALWAYS do well. Even Brother Bear was a hugge seller on DVD.

" How is a Bible movie, a silent movie about horses and an adventure-comedy like Sinbad modeled after Disney?"

ANIMATED EPICS!!!!!

" Yes, Treasure Island IS a good idea...the first time. Treasure Planet, on the other hand, is an unnecessary re-hash combined with space....which doesn't mix. How could 17th century ships and costmes gel with SPACE for crying out loud? It's too fanboy-orientated--where is that human element that everyone can relate to?? "

What's fan boy about it? I was amazed at how good it did look. You just don't like sci-fi...I reallyt don't eitheer but I didn't think the film was bad just because of the idea. It didn't work because they blew Long John Silver. THAT was the human element. If that were done right it would have been fine. You can do any kind of film you want as long as it's done right.

" True, I don't know him. But there were other ways he could have gotten revenge on Eisner...through television....live-action films...etc..."

Um, isn't he trying but failing? He wanted animation because he THINK he was the god of Disney animation.

"And in the animated films: He didn't have to make Spirit a silent film, he didn't have to cast Woody Allen in Antz, he didn't have to do a MOB comedy that little kids might not even get. Shrek had adult jokes...and that was a RISK...you have to at least admit that. It could have flopped."

How is that a risk? He couldn't hack it through story so he resorted to pooppoo and peepee jokes. It reakds of a desperate attempt to get butts in the seats...teenage butts...

"Why would he take all those risks if all he wanted was revenge??"

Pride

"BTW, I don't think he really hates Eisner as much as people think. I think he's a lot more ambivalent about it. I mean, in POE everyone knows that Rameses is Eisner and Moses is Katzenberg and obviously Rameses was not meant to be just a "bad" guy--there's all this regret and sense of loss in the film. ("Goodbye, brother.).
In Shrek, (my opinion) the Shrek-Donkey friendship is actually quite similar to the relationship Eisner and Katzenberg had when they were still together.
And why does the "good looking Human Shrek" in Shrek 2 resemble Eisner so much?"

YOU DON'T KNOW ANY OF THIS! THIS IS JUST YOU READING STUFF INTO FILMS THAT ISN'T THERE LIKE IF I WANT TO READ BIBLE LEASONS INTO DISNEY FILMS!!!

"True, this is all speculation and I don't know any of this for sure. But how can you know for sure whether Katzenberg is only out to destroy Disney/Eisner?? Confused I'm not saying that there isn't some element of that in his motivation...there could be."

Because I know enough people who know the situation to tell me.

"But I think in order to spend all that time doing something you have to really love it...I think it's more complicated than you're saying."

He can love it but he's fueled by showing Eisner up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Katz

Post by ShyViolet » February 23rd, 2005, 11:11 pm

guess supervising animators don't work then....
I meant supervising like, sarcastically.
I'm just saying everyone likes and hates a leader.
Yeah...and a lot of people liked Kazenberg. (see bottom of the page.)
Awesome? LOL!!!
O.K., I guess all critics, moviegoers and Academy Voters are morans. (Both Shrek I and II broke records.)
ANIMATED EPICS!!!!!

But you couldn't do movies like that at Disney. Not a Bible movie, anyway. Or a Woody Allen film.
You can do any kind of film you want as long as it's done right.
Fair enough.....
YOU DON'T KNOW ANY OF THIS! THIS IS JUST YOU READING STUFF INTO FILMS THAT ISN'T THERE LIKE IF I WANT TO READ BIBLE LEASONS INTO DISNEY FILMS!!!

O.K., like I said, it's just my opinion. Don't get upset. :wink:
He can love it but he's fueled by showing Eisner up.

Fine...that's all I was trying to say. He may be motivated somewhat by revenge but he LOVES animation and that was why he started DW.
Despite the act DSharktale's trailer gloated "From the makers of Shrek"...
Yeah but people don't always pay attention to that....How many people thought Shrek was Disney?

From Jim Hill (yeah he's not always right but he knows a lot of stuff.)
Though he was no longer a Disney Company employee, Katzenberg still felt the need to drop by Feature Animation-Florida. To try and say "Goodbye" to some of the people that he'd worked with over the past 10 years.

I'm told that -- given the rather chilly reception that Jeffrey had gotten from the folks back in Burbank immediately after the news spread around the lot about his being removed as the head of Walt Disney Studios -- that Katzenberg didn't know what to expect as he went backstage at Disney-MGM to visit the animators there. Given the way the people out in LA had behaved, he halfway expected the WDFA-F crew to try to distance themselves from the fallen studio head too.

But that's not what happened. Jeffrey walked through the door of the "fishbowl" building and immediately saw that the entire studio -- all 200+ employees -- had turned out to greet him. Katzenberg was obviously shocked and delighted as -- in an elaborate ceremony -- the folks from Feature Animation-Florida presented him with a barrel full of his favorite beverage (Diet Coke) as well as a specially designed cel (Which showed a caricature of Jeffrey surrounded by characters from all the Disney animated features that he'd supervised production of).

Then the entire WDFA-F got in line and -- one by one -- they each shook Katzenberg's hand and told him "Thank you," "Best of luck," "You'll be missed." Jeffrey's wife, Marilyn, just stood there -- a big smile on her face as tears ran down her cheeks. It was obvious that this heartfelt reception really meant a lot to the Katzenbergs.
YAY JEFF!!! :o
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 23rd, 2005, 11:27 pm

And yes, Syndrome is a tragic villian, part of why he's so cool. He sparks some pretty interesting debates: is there really anything wrong with wanting to be "super?"

Yeah I think Syndrome just wanted to "special" too. He had some definete self-esteem problems. :idea:

I think he hated himself so that's why it gave him pleasure to hurt others.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bobby_Buffalo » February 25th, 2005, 11:40 pm

As long as Sharktale don't win, I am happy.

(and if Shrek 2 also lose, I will be happy too).

Only The Incredibles is the worth winning movie. But I don't understand why they chose to terrible contenders (Shrek 2 and..ugh, Sharktale).

This is the worst animated films nominees so far. :x
"So you say you're cursed... well so's the whole damned world." - Mononoke Hime

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Not going to get involved here (what a subject...again!) but wanted to point out that FANTASIA/2000 was actually green-lit by Katzenberg after the theatrical success of the 50th Anniversary re-issue of F/40 in 1990.

One year later, as he announced worldwide, Fantasia would be coming out on video for the last time, before the film would be changed and added to, to create what was then named "Fantasia Continued" and had a projected release date of 1996, or 1997.

The film (which JK actually saw the "art" side of it being a GOOD thing) was developed and produced between features, as has correctly been mentione above.

But JK was fully aware and behind the idea. Of course, F/40 has gotten another couple of goes around on home video, and namely DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 27th, 2005, 6:50 pm

Just a reminder about the live chat during the Oscar ceremony tonight! We'll kick things off around 7:30 ET (or maybe a bit earlier if you just can't wait)! Click the CHAT LOUNGE link at the top of the page to join in. Along with the Oscar chat I'll be posting results of our Oscar contest as the awards roll in.

For those that don't want to interact with us live, feel free to chat up the Oscars in this thread!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2005, 12:23 am

Well, the votes have been counted, the envelopes opened, and stars made and crushed tonight.

What did you think?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CaptainJasHook » February 28th, 2005, 1:24 am

You will lose what little respect you have if the INCREDIBLES doesn't win?

Why should there be ANY respect? The OSCARS is a Variety show. The award is being nominated. Everything else is for show. The winners of most awards are due to politics. Not republican/democrat - but in the Academy: who your friends are, why an actor/director/designer/film should win, etc. It's "let's give him an Oscar because he has 20 nominations and 0 wins." Not neseccarily who was the BEST of that year. It's all politics. It's all a variety program for entertainment.

The Academy deserves NO respect. That is not meant to be offensive, it is a true statement.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CaptainJasHook » February 28th, 2005, 1:31 am

I predicted 18 out of 24 awards correctly. Hope that is enough to win the contest here.

I thought AVIATOR would win over MILLION DOLLAR BABY. That's the only big award I missed.

Very pleased FINDING NEVERLAND won for Score.

I have lost all respect I had for Beyonce - but she is a fighter, I will give her that much. She wanted to sing everything this year. She wants buzz to star in the upcoming DREAMGIRLS film, so she publicly shows off her vocal talents. "See - I can do it! Cast me!" Honey, if you're that good, you will be in the film. Don't beg like a baby. If you're it, you're it. If not, suck it up. You weren't good enough. They know you want the role, now simmer down.

Chris Rock sucked as host. He had a few good jokes, but disgraced the honor of being a host. No class. I don't expect his humor to be classy, but certainly his job as host. Awful! Bring back Billy Crystal!

Robin Williams took tape off his mouth before he presented the award. This was because the FCC censord him from singing a song which spoke of animated characters in a much more offensive way (in parody of SpongeBob being named Gay by Christian groups). Good for Robin Williams in his protest! Not strong, but who can blame him? At least he didn't let it die.

I liked the "In Memoriam" music from the past few years. HATED this chello music for this year. I usually ball my eyes out, but it was so distracting, I only tear up.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 28th, 2005, 1:58 am

CaptainJasHook wrote:...Robin Williams took tape off his mouth before he presented the award. This was because the FCC censord him from singing a song which spoke of animated characters in a much more offensive way...
Actually ABC pulled the plug not the federal government!
http://drudgereport.com/flash3oc.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 28th, 2005, 6:14 am

In your FACE EISNER! See how "pathetic CGI animated humans won the Oscars this year?" Glad for Brad Bird, the award sure was for The Incredibles but also for his Giant, glad for PIXAR, just a year after the Oscar for Nemo, they did it again! See ya next year for the Award of the Best animated Short with Jak Jak Attack!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wolf Tooth » February 28th, 2005, 12:59 pm

Wow... I'm not surprised that something shipy like MDB won for best picture.
"And the Oscar gose to Million Dollar Baby. Shure it's depressing and unrealistic, but's still the best picture of the year , right?"
I wish movies like Passion of Christ( I still can't beleived those people can be so narow minded athiests not to NOMINATE IT ATLEAST?), Finding Neverland, or Spider Man 2(I know, films like that don't get nominated, but it's still a meaningful film).
Gawd, I would love to give those people a cold splash of commen sence and reality.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2005, 1:52 pm

CaptainJasHook wrote:It's "let's give him an Oscar because he has 20 nominations and 0 wins."
So... explain to me how this helps Marty again? ;)