10 Actors Who Should Hang It Up....

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

10 Actors Who Should Hang It Up....

Post by GeorgeC » February 10th, 2009, 9:56 am

http://movies.msn.com/movies/galleryfea ... ?gt1=28130

Starting with Tom Cruise...

(Joachim Phoenix doesn't make the list despite his sudden conversion to rap-star...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 10th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Interesting, but the guy lost credibility by trashing "Scent of a Woman", one of Pacino's best, IMO. He didn't win the Best Actor oscar for nothing, you know. That plus dissing "Men in Black" (which has a brilliant concept brilliantly executed) makes me question the guy's taste.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 10th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Hmm...If I made my own list, it would probably only include Al Pacino from that list (not for the same reasons).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 11th, 2009, 12:09 am

He made a very good point about Jennifer Aniston.

I've never been able to understand why the media is so crazy about a former TV sitcom star that hasn't made a single good film since her big screen debut (which was over a DECADE ago).

She should stick to what she does best...... Tabloid covers. :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 2nd, 2009, 12:15 pm

Kate Winslet? Will Smith? Is he being serious with this thing?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2009, 2:14 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:I've never been able to understand why the media is so crazy about a former TV sitcom star that hasn't made a single good film since her big screen debut (which was over a DECADE ago).
Oh I don't know...

Office Space, The Iron Giant and Derailed all had touches of genius about them, and it's not exactly as if she's been churning them out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 2nd, 2009, 2:19 pm

It is time for Steve Martin,but they want to get rid of Miley Cyrus so fast? XD.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 3rd, 2009, 11:09 pm

Never saw Derailed, but Office Space and Iron Giant don't count.

Her role in Office Space wasn't huge, and she didn't do very for much for the character (who really could've been played by anyone). I could also say the same for her voice acting in The Iron Giant.

I suppose what I meant to say was that she hasn't been the star of a hit film in over a decade. And one would think the ability to carry a film is would be a requirement of an A-lister (as opposed to looking good on magazine covers, and openly pining for your ex). :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2009, 5:14 am

Hmm...okay, I'll agree with you on Office Space, but her voice in The Iron Giant was instrumental in bringing emotional warmth to that character. True, anyone could have played it, but anyone didn't...she did, and she did a terrific job of coming over as a single young mother.

As for being the star of a hit film...while I'm no fan of The Break-Up, that film did amazingly respectable business worldwide and a lot for her Hollywood stock.

Also, I would argue that Aniston is one of those charismatic stars who basically just need to show up and effortlessly charm. This all sounds like I'm a fan so I should point out that she's never been anywhere near the center of my radar - true for many of the reasons you're saying.

I know there's more to it than magazine covers, but to say she doesn't have any kind of worth isn't factually correct. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 4th, 2009, 10:45 am

No, I'm not saying she's worthless as an actress. I'm not even saying she's a bad actress. I just wonder why she's become such a huge star(at least in the US), when she's better known for her personal life than the little bit of acting that she does on the side. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2009, 5:22 pm

It's that charismatic X-Factor. Aniston has it. Courtney Cox does not. ;)