News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Sega opens up animation studio

Post by Darkblade » December 14th, 2009, 9:43 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 15th, 2009, 1:20 am

So when do we get a full-length, big budget Sonic movie? Phantasy Star would be good too. So would Toe Jam and Earl. There are so many possibilities here. as the article says, they could be the Japanese Pixar. Check out their first short (for those of you too lazy to read the article):

Last edited by eddievalient on December 15th, 2009, 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 15th, 2009, 1:28 am

I think a Space Channel 5 feature (or even just a DTV) could actually be a lot of fun. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 16th, 2010, 2:29 am

Very interesting. Can't wait to hear what comes of this.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 16th, 2010, 11:33 pm

15 years ago, I would have been more excited at this prospect.

That's during the era when Sega was actually still doing well as a company... It had an actual hardware platform and was making innovative games.

Then something happened...

A lot of the good games never left Japan...

The Sega of America management made really dumb comments in the gaming press and scared off developers...

Even the best hardware platform of its time (Dreamcast) wasn't enough to help Sega's cashflow problems and Sega killed its console division.

Since then, the company has been listless and has become almost a caricature of itself -- known more for what it DOESN'T make sequels to than actually good games!

Sega of Japan has proven that management at Sega of America wasn't a fluke --- the Japanese parent division has its moments of indecisiveness and incredibly bad decision-making, too!

It's one Sonic remake after another or a rehash of an old 16-bit era collection.

Sega had plenty of good, original games from both the Saturn and Dreamcast eras they could have developed continuations and sequels for. I read or hear repeated calls for sequels to Panzer Dragoon and other 32-/64-bit console originals but Sega does nothing with those properties. They could be making another good racing game or revamping of Daytona but it hasn't happened.

A lot of the great game producers for Sega's golden age of arcade games (1980s and 1990s) have retired from or been reassigned within the company.

Sega really is in big danger of becoming like the original Atari -- a company scorned by newer players but remembered fondly by people who played their games when they were innovative.

(BTW, Atari is NOT the same company founded and formerly managed by Nolan Bushnell. Infogames bought out the Atari trademark and codes for the classic Atari games years ago. Atari is Atari in name only...)

We'll see if Sega has better luck with its animation division than Square-Enix had with their Hawaiian animation studio.

I'm still skeptical, though...

There are still plenty of Sega fans left, though. I'm still one even if I'm very skeptical about the current direction of Sega. I've kept all my Saturn and Dreamcast games and hardware and still occasionally power up either console to play games that just aren't available on any current system....