All-Star Celebrity Bash Birthday Thread! ...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 11th, 2009, 3:45 am

Today's Birthday Boy is

Dr. Frankenstein "no, it's Franken-STEEN"/the genuine Willy Wonka himself, Gene Wilder!

("No, we clean the garbage chutes every other day. There's a good chance the incinerators aren't on today!"

And he's a heck of a nice guy, too!

Salutations to the Waco Kid! 76-candle salute!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 12th, 2009, 10:34 am

79-candles this Friday for Gomer Pyle aka Jim Nabors!

Shazam!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 13th, 2009, 3:51 am

66 candles for Superman's "Metallo" who is having a "Clockwork Orange" juice cocktail courtesy of Alex! Yes, Malcolm McDowell is a year older and still playing villains in his crustier, older age... He'll never be remembered for playing the good guys!

Buzz Lightyear is having his annual battery check done by someone other than "Tooltime Tim" as his voice actor, "Never Surrender" Tim Allen, turns 56.

GeorgeC

Donald Duck is 75 and nobody's celebrating it!

Post by GeorgeC » June 13th, 2009, 1:53 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/film/090612-do ... ck-75.html

Amazing. I had no idea this week marked the first appearance of the the original Duckman 75 years ago! Disney just has not been publicizing a lot of major character dates and birthdays for years.... and Donald's probably the most popular of the classic Disney animated short characters. He's certainly my favorite Disney character.

"The Wise Little Hen" short, Donald's first appearance, has been released on several DVD compilations including the Donald Duck Treasure volumes.

For those that don't have those DVD sets, it's been re-released on the latest collection of Disney animation shorts. It's part of the "Wind of the Willows" Disney Animation Collection Volume 5 available at Best Buy and Wal-Mart (for sure)... This is not Donald's finest animated short but is important and sets up what follows later on. Donald also had a dramatically different appearance than what evolved later. He's much more duck-like in physicality and didn't gain his more human appearance until a few years later. Voice-wise, he's about the same since he was voiced by Clarence Nash until Nash's death in the mid-1980s.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » June 13th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Happy Birthday Donald!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 13th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Ya know, that was the only thing wrong with Ducktales. We didn't see enough of Donald (in Carl Barks' original comics, which the show is based on, Donald was there for lots of adventures). True, it's because he was in the navy, but I'm sure the writers could have thought of plenty of excuses for Donald and Scrooge to cross paths.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 13th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Funny joke on the Tonight Show last week on his birthday:

"Donald Duck turned 75 years old today. He's finally at the age where it's OK that he's not wearing pants."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 14th, 2009, 12:16 am

June 9?? Thought Donald's birthday was Friday the 13th!

(As noted in "Three Caballeros.) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 14th, 2009, 3:24 am

Happy belated birthday Donald. While I'm not a big fan of him, I do feel sorry that there isn't a big deal being made out of his 75th birthday, like they would have done if his name was Mickey Mouse. It's almost like Donald is the step child you don't talk about.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » June 14th, 2009, 6:49 am

Congrats!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 14th, 2009, 8:29 am

Bill1978 wrote:Happy belated birthday Donald. While I'm not a big fan of him, I do feel sorry that there isn't a big deal being made out of his 75th birthday, like they would have done if his name was Mickey Mouse. It's almost like Donald is the step child you don't talk about.
Brings to mind the famous Mickey Mouse Club theme song, where Donald tries to insert his name in, only to be ignored.

Anyway, happy birthday, Donald. I've never seen that Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show, but does he have any of his classic temper tantrums on it? Or is he more subdued due to it being aimed at the pre-school crowd?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 14th, 2009, 11:14 am

Or what about the year Tokyo Disneyland needed a "theme", and one season reportedly overlaid the park into the alternate-universe "Donald's Wackyland"...NOW who's the Leader of the Club?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 16th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I do feel sorry that there isn't a big deal being made out of his 75th birthday, like they would have done if his name was Mickey Mouse.
Nope...Mickey didn't get a big celebration for his recent 80th, either. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 16th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Mickey's last 'big' commemoration was his 60th (1988). There was an 'official' Mickey is Sixty! magazine, as well as several events at the theme parks that year.

Donald's last 'big' celebration was his 50th (1984). There were a couple of retrospective specials on the (then much better) Disney Channel -- including interviews with the still-living Clarence Nash -- and also an 'official' hardcover book, Donald Duck: Fifty Years of Happy Frustration.

--------------------

I'm just thankful that I can personally celebrate Donald's 75th by watching pretty much every cartoon he's ever been in on DVD, as well as reading every comic-book adventure created by Carl Barks -- neither of which was feasible 25 years ago. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 23rd, 2009, 1:15 am

Bruce "If Chins Could Kill"/'Ash' Campbell turned 51 on Monday!

How will Sam Raimi use Bruce in the next Spider-Man movie???