Airplane, Empire Strikes Back, & Pink Panther get Honored...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 29th, 2011, 11:53 am

Saber-drooping aside (!), that's a nice looking statue in the previous post....

Getting back to the theme that ideas DON'T develop from a vacuum and being closed off from the rest of the world---!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_and_Laureline

Heh... LOTS of similarities to Star Wars there!

Makes me interested in looking for a Cinebooks English edition of this French comic!

One of the comic's artists even drew a meeting between Luke and Leia and the comic's main characters!

Wiki translation of the French captions => "Fancy meeting you here!" says Leia. "Oh, we've been hanging around here for a long time!" retorts Laureline. ( *Since 1967!)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 30th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Y'know, we had two of those Ralph McQuarrie concept paintings hanging on our wall back in the late 1970s. Very cool stuff (though I was too young to understand the concept of "concept" and couldn't work out why they didn't look/appear like in the film itself), but goodness knows what happened to them. I expect my Dad took them when he went majorly AWOL and left home (along with a really cherished book on The Elephant Man that was a gift from John Hurt).

Man I wish we still had those very, very cool movie collectibles. :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 30th, 2011, 11:15 pm

"The Duel" is still my favorite of the preproduction paintings McQuarrie.

I wish there was an affordable print of it today!

His other stuff mostly great, too. Love the stuff I saw that he did for Galactica, too.

He was truly a great designer in a time that could be considered the Golden Age of science fiction movie design...