The continuing decline in the film industry....

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

The continuing decline in the film industry....

Post by GeorgeC » February 23rd, 2011, 3:42 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/ ... 22&sp=true

Attendance at movie theaters down 23% from this point last year.... OUCH!

Decline of 33% in profits from home video the past 7 years... From $14B to $10B... OUCH!

3D is a bust in home theater with far fewer 3D sets sold than projected... 80% of analysts expect a full withdrawal from 3D tech in the home in the near future... 3D film releases are obviously not bolstering box office which continues to be massively down...

Hollywood hasn't figured out how to deal with digital tech AND online film delivery...

Personally, I think the film business is failing big time on content. That's the big reason I see for the diminishing box office and home video sales.

Films are primed too much for the summer and shallow, faddish teenage audiences. The rest of us are almost completely ignored.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The continuing decline in the film industry....

Post by estefan » February 25th, 2011, 6:12 am

GeorgeC wrote: Films are primed too much for the summer and shallow, faddish teenage audiences. The rest of us are almost completely ignored.
There seems to be an upward trend in attendance for more adult fare in the last couple of months. Black Swan, True Grit, The Fighter and most impressively, The King's Speech have all done impressive business and this was even before the Oscar nominations were announced (which these films hugely benefit from). Who would have guessed a Darren Aronofsky picture, not about a superhero, would cross the domestic $100 million mark.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: The continuing decline in the film industry....

Post by Dacey » February 25th, 2011, 11:00 am

"King's Speech" actually rode the Oscar tide though, Est. The studio didn't expand it until after the Golden Globes, and just before the Academy Award nominations were announced. Trust me. They knew exactly what they were doing.

As for "Black Swan," I think it made money off of the "really intense" buzz more than anything. Plus people generally seem to like Natalie Portman.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."