Oscar talk

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Oscar talk

Post by James » February 28th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Lee Unkrich (director of Toy Story 3) posted a funny photo today to his Twitter account:

http://twitpic.com/44r245

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 28th, 2011, 4:04 pm

I'd do that too.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 28th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Eh.

I'd be more impressed if he were sleeping with a visible signed check for $1,000,000.

Oscars are worth something like $5 on e-Bay unless it's from a dead famous person...

Of course, if the IRS and robbers saw that check in the photo things could go a lot worse....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar talk

Post by EricJ » February 28th, 2011, 5:15 pm

James wrote:Lee Unkrich (director of Toy Story 3) posted a funny photo today to his Twitter account:

http://twitpic.com/44r245
(Bugs Bunny)
"Oh, Oscar...I'll even take youse to bed wit' me, every night!"
"Do you mean it? (smooch)" :mrgreen:
Last edited by EricJ on February 28th, 2011, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 28th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Another funny pic from Unkrich: http://twitpic.com/44tohb

During the chat someone asked if they had an engraver back stage and someone else replied that they actually don't get the engraved awards until a few weeks later. I know that used to be correct, but as you can see from this picture, Unkrich's Oscar is already engraved. They must have a new way to do it now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 28th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Or, they probably figured, what was the point of engraving the others?.. ;)

(And, as Dustin Hoffman observed, he is naked and holding a sword.
The Oscar, that is, not Lee Unkrich.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by estefan » February 28th, 2011, 8:41 pm

James wrote: During the chat someone asked if they had an engraver back stage and someone else replied that they actually don't get the engraved awards until a few weeks later. I know that used to be correct, but as you can see from this picture, Unkrich's Oscar is already engraved. They must have a new way to do it now.
I watched the live-stream of the Oscar luncheon a couple of weeks ago and the president of the Academy mentioned they now engrave the Oscars right at the Kodak Theatre on the same night as the ceremony.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Re:

Post by James » February 28th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Another good pic: http://twitpic.com/44vb7a
estefan wrote:I watched the live-stream of the Oscar luncheon a couple of weeks ago and the president of the Academy mentioned they now engrave the Oscars right at the Kodak Theatre on the same night as the ceremony.
That's cool. If it were me I wouldn't want to give up my Oscar so soon after getting it to be sent off to the engraver!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 28th, 2011, 9:42 pm

I dunno if it was the same situation .. but my Emmy Award statuette was presented to me with a blank metal ring around its base. The 'engraved' ring arrived by mail, a few weeks later. A screw on the bottom of the base loosened the blank ring so that it could be removed. Then it was just a matter of putting the 'engraved' ring in place, and re-tightening the screw.

So, the statuette never left my possession. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 28th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Emmy? Wow, good for you, man. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 28th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Guess everybody missed my comment during the live chat about how they had an engraver backstage to do it :-( . I think they have been doing that since Nicole Kidman won her Oscar at least.

I can't remember where or when I heard it though.

I'll be back later to provide my detail thoughts on the night.

An Emmy? Wow, very impressed. Out of the 4 fields of Big Awards that comes about =2 with a Tony. 1st is an Oscar and a very distant 4th is a Grammy since they have so so so many categories, it feels like anyone could win a Grammy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 28th, 2011, 11:40 pm

The Emmy Award I'd won was for Best VFX for a Miniseries, for the Sci-Fi Channel's Children of Dune, (way) back in 2003. And technically, I 'shared' that award with eight other members of the VFX crew (though, we each got our own statuette).

It sits on the desk in my office .. and that's about all it's ever done for me (it's not like job opportunities came any easier, or anything). But it is kinda cool to have one. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by EricJ » March 1st, 2011, 8:56 pm

James wrote:Another good pic: http://twitpic.com/44vb7a
(Oh, right, the guys at Pixar:
"Wow!...It's a REAL OSCAR!") :lol: