Sarah Jane Smith has left the TARDIS for the last time...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

Sarah Jane Smith has left the TARDIS for the last time...

Post by GeorgeC » April 19th, 2011, 6:51 pm

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... th-sladen/

RIP, Elisabeth Sladen, 63. She was the actress best known as Sarah Jane Smith, one of the Doctor's companions of the original series run.

Despite a short three-year run on the original Doctor Who opposite Doctors Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, Sladen's Smith character left an indelible impression on series' fans and her character was successfully revived many years later on both the reimagined Doctor Who TV series and a four-season TV series featuring the Sarah Jane Smith character.

Sladen passed away from cancer on Monday. She is survived by her husband and daughter...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Sarah Jane Smith has left the TARDIS for the last time...

Post by ohmahaaha » April 19th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Shocked!!!! She was much too young.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 23rd, 2011, 11:50 pm

We all die...

Cancer's the big unnatural killer.

That's the one nobody expects. It's claimed a few members of my extended family pretty young, too.

Sladen was very private about her illness and even past co-stars like Tom Baker (the Fourth and best-known incarnation of Dr. Who) were shocked at her passing.

They were on the cusp of doing another Dr. Who story together. It was going to be one of those audio stories. Seems like some of the Who actors have done almost as many audio stories as they did episodes on the original series!

Her passing blew the winds out of his sails a bit from what I gather online...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Bumped into Tom Baker a few weeks back. We were in a book store in London and his big booming voice bellowed out "have you got any of those erotic Chinese prints?"

The store manager guided him to a selection but he wasn't impressed enough to buy. It was just such a mad moment to walk into the store and feel someone coming in behind me. When I turned, it was Baker, with a big jolly smile on his face. I was nearly tempted to remind him that I'd met him before, when I was a young lad and he was in Doctor Who, but the moment passed.

It was just hysterical to hear him call out across the store for what he was after, though! I was, of course, in the movie section (where I picked up a cool book on King Kong, Laurel and Hardy, and an animated shorts encyclopedia).

I remember Elisabeth Sladen the first time around, and it was great when Sarah Jane returned in her own show (with K-9!), though I only caught a few. They ran a nice tribute after the new Who season started here yesterday, and the "goodbye Doctor" scene with Tennant really brought a lump, given the new perspective her passing gave it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 24th, 2011, 5:48 pm

I was going to post that (if it wasn't in such "encouragingly" close proximity to an OT George post :P ) from "The Hand of Fear".

But instead, I was trying to find her one most fan-iconic quote from "The Five Doctors", where Sarah runs into a time-displaced Jon Pertwee again, and mentions seeing him "sort of different....All curls and teeth". :)
(And yes, Pertwee stepped on her scripted line, but it was perfectly in Sarah's character.)