Pixar announces next film for 2013

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pixar announces next film for 2013

Post by ibrmacf » June 20th, 2011, 4:02 pm

It seems as if Pixar is releasing its next film till November 27, 2013:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/20/disney-pixar/

I wonder if this is just a delay of "Brave", since it was supposed to be released in 2012. And "Monsters University" was scheduled for June 2013. Does that mean that will be postponed as well? Or maybe both of them, or at least one has been cancelled in "Newt" fashion? Anybody else have any news/info about this?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 20th, 2011, 4:19 pm

It won't be a delay of "Brave," as it's already been confirmed that a trailer for that film will be shown before "Cars 2."

I'm pretty sure this is just Pixar trying to spark interest in something, altho if they really want to do that, they're going to have to try just a little harder. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2011, 7:50 am

Yep, that's clearly an announcement for a new, as yet undisclosed, project. We'll no doubt know more soon enough, but I guess they're concentrating on Cars 2 for the moment. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Pixar announces next film for 2013

Post by CGIFanatic » June 21st, 2011, 12:51 pm

BREAKING NON-NEWS

Pixar will release a movie. beep beep beep No news yet on what that movie will be. beep beep beep

In other news, other studios will also release movies at some point in the future. :lol: :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » June 21st, 2011, 5:48 pm

Thanks for the replies :) .
However, I don't think anybody has realized the reason that I'm perplexed. What troubles me is their usage of the word "next". To me, it implies, that there will be no Pixar film released after "Cars 2" UNTIL November 2013. However, we do know that a "Brave" and a "Monsters University" have been planned to be released before that time. So, that's what is troubling me, you see. It makes me wonder if they're going to hold off "Brave" and "Monsters University" until after November 2013. Or maybe, they just made a bad usage of the word "next" and instead meant that their next film to be announced will be released in November 2013. Oh, well maybe I'm just stressing too much. Sorry :) .

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm

Stressing too much. Or they'd have said "we're moving xxx to November 2013". Plus they say that this new movie is an original script (so not Monsters Uni) and I doubt it's Brave as this films has already been announced. So, it is their "next" film to the ones we know about.

Anyway, it's not like we won't have another Pixar film between then either: John Carter Of Mars comes out in the first half of 2012.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » June 22nd, 2011, 5:28 pm

Ben wrote:Anyway, it's not like we won't have another Pixar film between then either: John Carter Of Mars comes out in the first half of 2012.
Actually, now it's just "John Carter", period:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 22nd, 2011, 6:52 pm

Yep. :?

The Princess and the Frog doesn't meet expectations (despite being a fine film)

Disney Marketing:
"OMG! The word 'Princess' must've turned-off half our audience! Let's change Rapunzel to .. Tangled!"

Tangled performs rather well (because it is also a fine film)

Disney Marketing:
"Yes! We saved the day! Good thing we changed that title."

Mars Needs Moms doesn't meet expectations (to put it mildly)

Disney Marketing:
"OMG! The word 'Mars' must've turned-off our audience! Let's change John Carter of Mars to .. John Carter!"

-----------

Thank goodness the movie wasn't titled A Princess of Mars, like the book; Disney Marketing would've been forced to change it to A Of .. :roll:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 22nd, 2011, 7:08 pm

They've used the title excuse forever for why some Disney films fail.

"Pollyanna" supposedly failed, too, because the title was too girly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2011, 9:33 am

I heard that "John Carter" title was just for the poster, to say "John Carter is coming", but that the film was still John Carter Of Mars, as the poster still displays in the JCM logo on it.

But IMDb have changed the title there, eh? Interesting, and plain dumb, like Droo says. They already changed it from Princess Of Mars!

Who's going to see a movie about a John Carter, who sounds like a plumber who lives down the street? At least the Of Mars added intrigue and a reason to go see.

Then again, you'll also notice this seems to be Disney's movie and not Disney/Pixar as previously announced...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 24th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Are they going to do this as a retro movie, OR are they going to incorporate science and the realities of Mars?

As far as anybody knows, there's NEVER been any visible civilization on Mars.

I'm just saying ---

--- we all know how well space galleons worked for Disney in Treasure Planet!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 24th, 2011, 11:28 pm

It's gotta be retro.

Right?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 25th, 2011, 3:11 am

I like retro myself for some things however we've gotta keep in mind not everybody is a huge retro-culture nut and appreciates older things.

John Carter is very retro whether people appreciate that or not... There is no way this character is anywhere near as popular as Tarzan or Conan today despite being a contemporary creation. (Carter shared the same creator as Tarzan -- Edgar Rice Burroughs.)

Tarzan and Conan sure have been better managed and had actual films do with those characters. There's no question the films have helped those characters stay in the pop culture conscience -- there's no way that the novels alone would have maintained their popularity. Most of Carter's post-Burroughs appearances seem to be obscure cameos in fantasy and sci-fi comics.

I have to admit I've NEVER read any of the original John Carter novels or comic adaptations. The urge just never hit me. Same goes for Tarzan... Most of the Tarzan I've seen was the 1960s TV series. Not much else besides the Filmation and Disney Tarzan animation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 25th, 2011, 6:33 am

Whenever I hear about John Carter I automatically flashback to E.R.

Maybe that's the plan, to get the ER fans into the theatre thinking they are going to get a movie about thier beloved doctor