AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

2013 Oscars "Best Animated Film" Nominees

Post by ibrmacf » November 3rd, 2012, 1:18 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: 2013 Oscars "Best Animated Film" Nominees

Post by EricJ » November 3rd, 2012, 2:17 pm

Only eleven actual commercial US/UK films (if you count Secret of the Wings), which means a 5-slot with 3 commercial and 2 art.
Since DW doesn't really have a contender this year, I'm guessing it'll be the punchout between Brave and Ralph (Ralph winning?), and Hotel Transylvania taking the third commercial spot, because the committee Didn't Know Why It Made So Much Money, and will therefore have studio overconfidence behind it.

Which makes the 2 Art picks an academic discussion for, um...those who've seen them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » November 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm

I personally would consider "Rise of the Guardians" as a contender for DreamWorks!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 3rd, 2012, 3:35 pm

It won't win, but I can easily see Hotel Transylvania getting a nomination. The animation was just terrific!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 3rd, 2012, 4:24 pm

Yeah, I can't wait for Rise of the Guardians!
From what I understand it's getting a lot of early kudos. :)

I'd love for WIR to do well, (I love old games and Rich Moore is the best!)but
unfortunately I just heard an early review of it on the news and it wasn't too positive.
But I will reserve judgement until I see it.

Pixar, of course, has Brave, so that's obviously a strong contender.
I think it's going to be a really close race this year!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 3rd, 2012, 4:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if only one 'art' film gets in. I know these things aren't certain (eg Tangled missing out) but I wouldn't be surprisedto see the field include Brave, Wreck It Ralph, Rise Of The Guardians, Hotel Transylvania and one of the stop motion films (Paranorman, Pirates or Frankenweenie), meaning no art film. If Hotel doesn't get a nod perhaps From Up On Poppy Hill will get that slot since its from Studio Ghibli.

I would love for Disney to finally win an golden man, but my gut says they may have to wait until Frozen. At the moment my gut says that Rise Of The Guardians may end up being the front runner, which sits alright with me as Dreamworks havent won since the first year of the catergories inception. But of course it could open and everyone hates it, so I'll change my mind.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 3rd, 2012, 5:41 pm

Wreck-It Ralph seems a likely nom at this point. The buzz on Paranorman seemed pretty good upon release, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it appear in the final 5. Brave seems likely, even if it's not quite as revered as other Pixar efforts. Personally, I loved The Pirates (still wish they'd used the full British and book title), and wouldn't be bothered to see Frankenweenie nominated. I'm also eager to see Rise of The Guardians, and have a good feeling about it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 7th, 2013, 9:37 am

The nominees are: Brave, Frankenweenie, Paranorman, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, and Wreck-It Ralph.

Ralph has been considered the favorite but after a couple of high profile wins (and their past success with Oscar voters) could Brave be a spoiler?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 7th, 2013, 11:00 am

I hope Wreck-It Ralph wins. It's nice to see Walt Disney Animation Studios have another serious shot at winning the award, especially since their last one was probably Lilo & Stitch in 2003. If Ralph and Paperman win, I believe it will be the first time a studio has won both Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Film the same year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 7th, 2013, 11:31 am

Come to think of it, has Disney ever won this award?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 7th, 2013, 2:17 pm

I don't think so, no. But I count Pixar as part of Disney anyway, so...yes! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 7th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Walt Disney Animation has never won the award, however the movies they distribute have won numerous. I think it's about time that Disney won the blasted thing. And since the Oscars love giving awards to overdue people I can't see why the same can't apply to companies.

Out of the 5 nominees it's my favourite (admittedly I haven't seen Frank or Norman yet and am making this call based on Trailers). I personally feel that if Brave wins, it's because it is Pixar. It is a nice film, but it is nowhere near the calibre of their best and Ralph runs rings around it, in terms of story and character development.

I'm just glad that Rise Of The Guardians wasn't nominated because then I would have been really torn over who I would want to win.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 7th, 2013, 7:46 pm

I'd hate to see Brave win. It was perfectly fine, with astouunding animation, but far from a classic story-wise. I'd be fine with WIR winning.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Anand » February 15th, 2013, 10:26 am

Randall wrote:I'd hate to see Brave win. It was perfectly fine, with astouunding animation, but far from a classic story-wise. I'd be fine with WIR winning.
Can't agree more. Brave is just too lame to be a contender even.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 16th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Anand wrote:Can't agree more. Brave is just too lame to be a contender even.
Think even Pixar will be using Brave as future textbook example of What Not to Do (ie., "Don't let ONE person be Sole-Credit Story Czar and waste the entire studio on a half-written personal vanity project, that's not what we do at Emeryville.")
And since the BAF Oscar is also voted on by industry peers, that's probably going to be a consensus, in favor of Ralph.