Roger Ebert dies at 70

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Roger Ebert dies at 70

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2013, 5:48 pm

:( :( :(

Sooooo sad...he was a wonderful writer and film critic. He will always be remembered. Oh, and he LOVED Disney movies...I remember how happy he was to see traditional animation again when Princess and the Frog came out.

Here's a link to his website, which has his last blog entry: http://www.rogerebert.com

Here's the full story on his death:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/mo ... c-dies.xml
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Roger Ebert dies at 70

Post by Randall » April 4th, 2013, 8:26 pm

:(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 4th, 2013, 10:27 pm

I'll never forget watching Siskel & Ebert as a boy, every week - even when the local affiliate moved the show to 1:30 a.m. on Mondays. When my family finally got internet access, I was blown away by the realization that I could also read Ebert's reviews each week. I "grew up" with Ebert; he was one of the individuals who inspired me to become a writer. So, like many other moviegoers today, I feel as if I've lost a good friend. I'm really going to miss him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm

I remember wanting to be a movie critic when I was fourteen, just on watching the vintage Sneak Previews.
Later, I grew up and got to argue back and forth with Ebert on his blog column (even heard from him in e-mail once or twice), and a couple ties he said my comments were some of his favorites.
Even today, I realized there were a couple of movie and news topics I wouldn't have the chance to argue over on the blog, and there was no longer any reason go back there. :(
But it's good when you can reconcile yourself with your childhood influences.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2013, 12:42 pm

In the UK in the 1980s we had just one national film critic, a great guy called Barry Norman. He *was* film at that time, but the only other people that could get a look-in on movie posters even over here were Siskel & Ebert and the legendary "thumbs up" quotes.

At The Movies played here on some early cable channels, and I would catch whichever episodes I could at the sometimes odd times they would be shown. While neither would really be "household names" over here, Ebert especially had more impact when the internet meant we could read his Chicago Sun Times reviews directly.

Since he was still going strong when his illness came back, he's one of the few that really will be missed...through his seriously entertaining and informed writing each week. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 26th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Awesome new documentary on his life:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!