Real Springfield to get Simpsons mural

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Real Springfield to get Simpsons mural

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2014, 1:50 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Buzz Bumble

Re: Real Springfield to get Simpsons mural

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 1st, 2014, 5:27 pm

"Real Springfield"?!?! There's something like a dozen places in America alone called Springfield. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2014, 5:35 pm

True...but it's the one that Matt Groening named it after (since he's from Oregon). :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 1st, 2014, 10:11 pm

I didn't think anybody knew where the "real" Springfield is (although a few towns claim to be it) and it wasn't really anywhere - just a made up town for "any town" in America. BUT, you're right, apparently Matt Groening revealed the location in a interview ... sort of ...
OK, why do the Simpsons live in a town called Springfield? Isn’t that a little generic?
Springfield was named after Springfield, Oregon. The only reason is that when I was a kid, the TV show “Father Knows Best” took place in the town of Springfield, and I was thrilled because I imagined that it was the town next to Portland, my hometown. When I grew up, I realized it was just a fictitious name. I also figured out that Springfield was one of the most common names for a city in the U.S. In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, “This will be cool; everyone will think it’s their Springfield.” And they do.

UPDATE: "The Simpsons" responded to this interview with a new chalkboard gag before the Sunday, April 15, episode proclaiming that "The true location of Springfield is in any state but yours."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 2nd, 2014, 7:33 pm

Buzz Bumble wrote:"Real Springfield"?!?! There's something like a dozen places in America alone called Springfield. :)
Massachusetts fought hard to be "the" Springfield to host the Simpsons Movie premiere--
Sen. Ted Kennedy even appeared on the entry film personally to send props out to his "long-lost relative" Mayor Quimby.

(But nooo, Vermont came in and stole the whole thing from us!)

Although, wasn't there one episode where Lisa Simpson went to Washington, and discovered (gasp!) corruption in the senatorial office of Anystate, USA?
Its state motto: "Not just Anystate."

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » June 3rd, 2014, 2:45 am

The real reason people want to know where the real Springfield is because the "spring" must be the Fountain of Youth since none of The Simpsons' townsfolk have aged a day in the numerous years we've been watching them on TV. ;)