James Garner passes away, 1928-2014

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

James Garner passes away, 1928-2014

Post by Dan » July 20th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Just as I was going to sleep last night there was a breaking news report that James Garner passed away at 86. Known primarily for his television roles in Maverick (also appearing in the film adaptation) and The Rockford Files, animation fans know him as the voice of Commander Lyle Rourke in Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

Variety report: http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/james-g ... 201265361/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: James Garner passes away, 1928-2014

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Am pretty gutted about this one...practically every time I hear an answerphone beep I think of the opening of Rockford, a show I watched in my infancy and so one of the first "adult" programs I was allowed to watch (with my parents, natch). Loved Garner's always assured voice and the almost laconic way he played that character. From there I saw him in a couple of overlooked Disney pictures, as well as Grand Prix, of course, and the hilarious Victor/Victoria. Popping up in a couple of nostalgic-tinged recent-ish films (the Maverick remake and Clint's Space Cowboys), he proved he was always great value whatever he was in.

I never really like saying someone "will be missed" when they're best days are clearly behind them and they haven't done much lately, especially when they leave behind a solid body of work that will stand for them so they they're *not* missed, but it was always kind of cool knowing Garner was still out there.