2015 Golden Globes

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

2015 Golden Globes

Post by Dan » December 11th, 2014, 10:33 am

The nominations were announced this morning. I or someone else will list the full nominees later, but I figured to quickly list the nominees for Animated Feature.

Best Animated Feature
Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The LEGO Movie

Also, Into The Woods garnered three nominations: Best Picture - Musical or Comedy, Emily Blunt for Best Actress - Musical or Comedy, and Meryl Streep for Best Supporting Actress.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: 2015 Golden Globes

Post by Jpcase » December 11th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Wow. No Song of the Sea? Given Tom Moore's brilliant work on The Secret of Kells, and the great early reviews that have already come out for the film, I'd have expected that one to be a contender for winning the award. I'm certainly disappointed. :(

Haven't seen Book of Life yet, but the buzz seems to indicate that it's the weakest of those five films. Big Hero 6, The Boxtrolls, and How to Train Your Dragon 2 all had their appeal, but I wouldn't even put in them in the same league as The Lego Movie. There's only one truly Oscar-worthy film in the running this year for me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Jpcase wrote:There's only one truly Oscar-worthy film in the running this year for me.
So which one is it? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 11th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Jpcase wrote:Haven't seen Book of Life yet, but the buzz seems to indicate that it's the weakest of those five films. Big Hero 6, The Boxtrolls, and How to Train Your Dragon 2 all had their appeal, but I wouldn't even put in them in the same league as The Lego Movie. There's only one truly Oscar-worthy film in the running this year for me.
Like the Croods last year, I'd expect BoL or Boxtrolls to fill in the remaining "filler" Oscar nominee on visual strength alone (since actual animators participate in the voting process) even if yes, definitely not story in either case.

But that's for later, since first we have to get through the Golden Globes, which not only gullibly paste together all the publicity "buzz" rumors into actual serious nominations, but whose show has now become sort of the disorganized awards equivalent of a liquored-up Thanksgiving with dysfunctional relatives. :)
(Ie. "Remember two years ago, when cousin Jodie came home from college, got sloppy, and practically outed herself right there at the table?...And then someone wanted to sing Let It Go, and Grandma Meryl started ranting about how Walt Disney was a 'racist' and 'sexist', because she still thought Louie Armstrong was in the Jungle Book?")

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 11th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Streep didn't say "that stuff" at the Globes. She did that at a MUCH smaller ceremony, in which she was honoring Emma Thompson for Saving Mr. Banks. If it had happened at the Globes, it would've gone viral (and also, we'd all remember seeing it happen on television).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » December 11th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Like the Croods last year, I'd expect BoL or Boxtrolls to fill in the remaining "filler" Oscar nominee on visual strength alone (since actual animators participate in the voting process) even if yes, definitely not story in either case.
Actually, I'd rank The Boxtrolls over Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2. None of these films were perfect, but I would say that Big Hero 6 had a fantastic first act and fell off from there, whereas The Boxtrolls remained strong throughout the whole first half, maybe even the first two thirds. The Dickensian, Roald Dahl tone of that film really appealed to me, and Ben Kingsley gave a top-notch vocal performance. HtTYD 2 had a lot of cool ideas throughout, but never really came together for me.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 11th, 2014, 10:39 pm

The Oscar race favorites look to be Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2. LEGO Movie may have the popular vote, but I think it'll need some awards season push for it to really have legs (though I hope "Everything is Awesome" gets a run for Best Original Song XD ). I actually think Boxtrolls could be the weaker of the remaining two as I don't recall it having a lot of push during its theatrical run while I think Book of Life had an impressive enough run to be the probable dark horse.

Whether they will actually do it or not, I imagine DWA would want to campaign the heck out of HTTYD2 to win out this season as it might give some positive boost to play with in marketing Home (i.e. "From the studio that brought you the Oscar winning hit...").

One thing to remember is the Globes aren't necessarily the best indicators of how the Oscars will turn out. They give us an idea of who the likely front runners are and they generally try to appeal to the more mainstream arena (while it was the best move ever, I doubt there was a serious Oscar-contention reason for Tom Cruise being nominated for Tropic Thunder).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » December 11th, 2014, 11:59 pm

The Oscar race favorites look to be Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2. LEGO Movie may have the popular vote, but I think it'll need some awards season push for it to really have legs
Really? :( I haven't been following the awards buzz very closely, but I saw that The Lego Movie was winning a few preliminary awards - what makes you think that BH6 and Dragon are the front runners right now?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 12th, 2014, 12:18 am

Keep in mind that it's early December, so things change come February. That being said, Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 are the early favorites at the moment due mostly to studio name recognition (Oscars are political in nature, really), though having critical and box office success certainly adds to their push. Another thing is how recent the films have been in theaters. Because LEGO came out all the way back in March, it needs to put up some big presence this season to be a front runner.

One thing that could work to the favor of HTTYD2 was that it had a strong showing at the Cannes Film Festival, which is a good place to start building up some early interest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2014, 4:59 am

Yep, it's Dragon and Hero. And since Dragon is a sequel from a company that isn't doing so well right now...well, politics do play a role and it could go either way for them, if voters decide to help the "independent" out of trouble or they want to see a competitor finished off...

Then again, most voters don't get the chance to sit and watch all the screeners and, from experience, they'll pick the name they're most familiar with and go with something they know over something they don't. Here Disney wins out again, much as Pixar did for its long winning streak. And since Hero is still in theaters it also has that cache...whatever we think of the films, for various reasons Big Hero 6 is going to be hard to beat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jpcase » December 12th, 2014, 12:43 pm

I get that The Lego Movie might be at a bit of disadvantage due to its earlier release, and yeah, politics play a part, but I feel like the Academy typically does a pretty good job of choosing films. It seems strange to me that studio recognition would play such a big part, since in any other category, obscurity is hardly a factor - in fact, the smaller films often do better.

But then, the Animation category has always seemed to play by strange rules. Perhaps some of the voters don't take it as seriously and vote without much knowledge of the films. I would hope though, that they've learned their lesson from Brave.

How big of a deal is The National Board of Review? It's pretty striking that The Lego Movie managed to win Best Screenplay there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Jpcase wrote:Perhaps some of the voters don't take it as seriously and vote without much knowledge of the films.
This is exactly how it works.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 12th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Except that in the GG's case, nobody really knows WHO the members are--

We know that the Academy consists of working film professionals, but uncovering the secret of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has been like asking the Knights Templar for the Velveeta formula...Maybe we'll never get an answer.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 13th, 2014, 12:41 am

Jpcase wrote:How big of a deal is The National Board of Review? It's pretty striking that The Lego Movie managed to win Best Screenplay there.
With regards to Original Screenplay, not very good. The last time the winner for the National Board of Review award was even nominated for the Oscar for Original Screenplay was five years ago with The Coen Brothers' A Serious Man. And only once did the winner of the NBR award also win the Oscar, Diablo Cody's Juno, which actually tied for the NBR award.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 13th, 2014, 2:30 am

The Critics' Circle awards are still under the old 90s' myth that the Oscars reward the commercial mainstream-studio films, and strike back by making a great show over the critical/arthouse favorites that they think will be "overlooked".

They really don't have to bother, the Oscars have been cribbing the NBOR for half their nominations ever since they changed the rules in '03 and now don't have any time to think of their own.