2015 Academy Awards

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: 2015 Academy Awards

Post by Randall » January 31st, 2015, 6:32 pm

I wasn't so impressed by Dragon either (I mentioned in another post that I thought the big moments rushed by too fast, and for all its great scenes it just didn't quite come together as it should have, and maybe could have done so if direction and pacing were stronger).

I loved Big Hero 6 when I finally saw it last weekend. Nothing all that ground-breaking, perhaps, but a solid Disney hit, and a wonderful Diz-Marvel synthesis.

I've yet to see the international entries, or Boxtrolls, so that puts my vote so far for Big Hero 6, I guess. And I wouldn't have voted for Lego Movie, which was fun and all, but I didn't care for that ending so much. It just got muddled for me by that point, though I loved so many parts of the film. Points for effort (and fun!) for Lego Movie, but Big Hero 6 was a more solid (though more conventional) film overall.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2015, 11:05 pm

I loved Big Hero 6 to death, but it did literally use every superhero movie cliche in the book (right down to the "surprise" reveal of the supervillain, the hero being motivated by the death of a loved one, etc.). Dragon 2 is easily my pick, especially since The Lego Movie (sadly) isn't in the race.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 31st, 2015, 11:32 pm

I certainly agree on the cliches, but I still think that Big Hero 6 was crafted better than Dragon 2. ;)

But I'm glad you liked Dragon 2 more than I did! :) It did have some great moments and beautiful animation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 1st, 2015, 1:35 pm

No spoilers in this post just in case!

What puts Dragon over BH6 for me is the relationships between the main characters. The acting, and writing, and especially the animation made it feel so real and emotional. BH6 was a lot of fun but I never felt the thing that brought them all together was anything more than a plot device.

That said, Lego Movie was robbed! Easily my favorite of the three films!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 6th, 2015, 9:24 pm

With Tegan and Sara and Lonely Island confirmed, I now full expect a giant party atmosphere when "Everything is Awesome" is performed. :mrgreen:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » February 22nd, 2015, 8:51 pm

I really liked that opening number. Very well put together.

And a big congrats to one of the voice acting greats on winning the first Oscar of the night.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2015, 9:03 pm

Click on the Toon Saloon link at the top of the forum page and join us in the chat!