Animation boys club?

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Animation boys club?

Post by James » September 1st, 2015, 9:41 am

This piece is sparking a lot of conversation around the web: Inside The Persistent Boys Club Of Animation
http://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelange/cre ... e-cartoons

What do you think?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Animation boys club?

Post by LotsoA113 » September 1st, 2015, 10:21 am

There's certainly progress being made in the world of animation, though there are many many hurdles yet to go (Pixar still hasn't had a woman direct a feature from start-to-finish) and man, hearing the struggles many of these women go through in the industry just makes me sick to my stomach. Kudos to them for speaking out about this extremely pervasive and major issue, hopefully it incurs further discussion of these matters in the future.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 1st, 2015, 11:56 am

...Brenda's off her meds again, huh? :P

Again, the industry has nothing wrong with women directing, if they can actually put their own issues aside and DIRECT a movie. (Hello, Kathy Bigelow waves that Oscar she's holding?) As the joke goes, "We let you direct movies, and how did you repay us?--'Yentl'! 'Clueless'! 'A League of Their Own'! See if we ever do YOU a favor again! :x "
No one wants to be That Chauvinistic Guy and say that "Chicks only want to do huggy-suffering mother-daughter movies, or nasty mean-spirited rom-coms!"--But movie directing isn't like a soulfully-created painting to make your personal statement of social frustration in a world you've tailor-created to symbolize your own view, movie directing is like car repair, where you have to dispassionately put yourself aside to put working mechanical story and visual parts together until they hum like a finely tuned race engine, and then paint that singularly unique racing stripe on it. If they can do that, (arm-sweep) by all means, but they have to DO it first. If no women ever directed, it would be easy to cry they were being "left out", but there's a difference between being "left out" and being avoided. The difference is when you're your own worst evidence.

I'll try not to make more jokes about Brave setting female-directed animation back thirty years--
It's just that, not to bring up the old Hans/Frozen arguments again, but that's something you can't UN-see, to the point that you can look back at Wreck-It Ralph, and likely pick out the bits that Jennifer Lee contributed.
(Let's see, the Sonic the Hedgehog cameos, or the whole subplot where Vannelope gets picked on by the mean girls, and ultimately gives them their comeuppance?...Gee, it's so hard to tell!)
Last edited by EricJ on September 3rd, 2015, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 1st, 2015, 1:29 pm

EricJ wrote:Again, the industry has nothing wrong with women directing
So little, he knows...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 1st, 2015, 2:23 pm

Ben wrote:So little, he knows...
Uh, I believe the general point was:
Again, the industry has nothing wrong with women directing, IF...
It's that key word that always makes the difference, and "If" is hardly ever "When". :(

It particularly shouldn't be a complaint in animation, where directors are "invisible" and largely no-name to begin with (we know John Lasseter and Eric Goldberg wear Hawaiian shirts, but would any of us recognize Pete Docter on the street?), and non-Lasseter directors in Pixar especially.
We've had a number of female animation directors in DWA, Pixar, and Sony, but the only female animation directors most of us can name are the two who bothered to....TELL us they were female directors. :roll:
The rest just kept plugging along and doing their job.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 1st, 2015, 3:05 pm

Lee wasn't a director on Wreck-It Ralph.

And I don't think Sony's ever had a female director...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 1st, 2015, 3:58 pm

Dacey wrote:...I don't think Sony's ever had a female director...
Open Season and Arthur Christmas if I'm not mistaken

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 1st, 2015, 4:17 pm

Okay, Open Season is the one I keep forgetting for some reason (and I even liked it!). But Arthur Christmas is Aardman, which I see as comparable to saying that Brenda Chapman was a Disney director on Brave.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 1st, 2015, 4:24 pm

Lauren Faust is currently developing Medusa at Sony Pictures Animation .. and stands to be the director, if it gets a greenlight.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 2nd, 2015, 2:06 pm

Hey Eric, how can you possibly know the talents of every single female director out there? Don't you think that there might be a million extremely talented female directors we don't even know about being held back in the movie/animation industry?

It's a gigantic (and extremely insulting) generalization to say that all female directors are incapable of directing anything but an overly sentimental, "heartfelt" yet inferior film. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 2nd, 2015, 11:07 pm

That was one of Eric's posts that quickly turned into "...... blah blah blah blah blah..." for me. More trolling than commenting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 3rd, 2015, 2:19 am

As I said...so little, he knows...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 22nd, 2015, 11:29 am

EricJ wrote:...Brenda's off her meds again, huh? :P

Again, the industry has nothing wrong with women directing, if they can actually put their own issues aside and DIRECT a movie. (Hello, Kathy Bigelow waves that Oscar she's holding?) As the joke goes, "We let you direct movies, and how did you repay us?--'Yentl'! 'Clueless'! 'A League of Their Own'! See if we ever do YOU a favor again! :x "
No one wants to be That Chauvinistic Guy and say that "Chicks only want to do huggy-suffering mother-daughter movies, or nasty mean-spirited rom-coms!"--But movie directing isn't like a soulfully-created painting to make your personal statement of social frustration in a world you've tailor-created to symbolize your own view, movie directing is like car repair, where you have to dispassionately put yourself aside to put working mechanical story and visual parts together until they hum like a finely tuned race engine, and then paint that singularly unique racing stripe on it. If they can do that, (arm-sweep) by all means, but they have to DO it first. If no women ever directed, it would be easy to cry they were being "left out", but there's a difference between being "left out" and being avoided. The difference is when you're your own worst evidence.

Hmmm...well, what about some of these, um, huggy-suffering mother daughter films:

Not Without My Daughter: directed by Brian Gilbert, a man!!

The Joy Luck Club: a film about, well, mothers and daughters. Directed by Wayne Wang, a man!!

Anywhere But Here: Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman, a film about a strained mother daughter relationship. Also directed by Wayne Wang!!

Just goes to show that men can direct sweet emotional films too. Guess they're: "their own worst enemies"? :roll:

And by the way, there is nothing wrong with having a personal vision for a film. These often turn out to be the best films out there!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 22nd, 2015, 2:53 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Not Without My Daughter: directed by Brian Gilbert, a man!!
(Not Without...wait, was that the racist anti-Iranian propaganda one? The titles all sort of blur after a while.)
ShyViolet wrote:The Joy Luck Club: a film about, well, mothers and daughters. Directed by Wayne Wang, a man!!

Anywhere But Here: Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman, a film about a strained mother daughter relationship. Also directed by Wayne Wang!!
So--leaving aside Wang's well-known personal sexuality--refresh my memory, who was discussing male directors' ability/inability to direct versatile projects? I seem to have missed that post in the thread. :?

It was sort of the other crowd we were accusing of being a bit horse-blindered in the Directorial Vision Thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 22nd, 2015, 6:12 pm

Just saying that there is nothing wrong with a man or woman making an empowering film, a personal vision, or a "huggy-mother-daughter" narrative, as you call it. :roll:

But whatever. I'm sure you'll find a way to keep trashing women well as other groups on this site.