2016 Academy Awards

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

2016 Academy Awards

Post by Dan » January 14th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Alright, boys and girls. The link is already on the front page, but here is the full list.

Best Picture
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Mad: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bride of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Best Directing
Lenny Abrahamson, Room
Alejandro G. Iñárritu, The Revenant
Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
Adam McKay, The Big Short
George Miller, Mad Mad: Fury Road

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

Best Original Screenplay
Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

Best Animated Feature
Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie was There

Best Foreign Language Film
A War - Denmark
Embrace of the Serpent - Colombia
Mustang - France
Son of Saul - Hungary
Theeb - Jordan

Best Original Score
Carter Burwell, Carol
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Sicario
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Thomas Newman, Bridge of Spies
John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Original Song
"Earned It", Fifty Shades of Grey
"Manta Ray", Racing Extinction
"Simple Song #3", Youth
"Til It Happens To You", The Hunting Ground
"Writing's on the Wall", Spectre

Best Cinematography
Roger Deakins, Sicario
Ed Lachman, Carol
Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant
Robert Richardson, The Hateful Eight
John Seale, Mad Max: Fury Road

Best Costume Design
Jenny Beavan, Mad Max: Fury Road
Paco Delgado, The Danish Girl
Sandy Powell, Carol
Sandy Powell, Cinderella
Jacqueline West, The Revenant

Best Film Editing
The Big Short
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Spotlight
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
The Revenant

Best Production Design
Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

Best Sound Editing
The Martian
The Revenant
Sicario

Best Sound Mixing
Bridge of Spies
The Martian
The Revenant

Best Visual Effects
Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

Best Animated Short Film
Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
We Can't Live Without Cosmos
World of Tomorrow

Best Live Action Short Film
Ave Maria
Day One
Everything Will Be Okay
Shok
Stutterer

Best Documentary Feature
Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom

Best Documentary Short Subject
A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
Body Team 12
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah
Last Day of Freedom

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: 2016 Academy Awards

Post by EricJ » January 14th, 2016, 1:24 pm

If you think a dozen posts saying "...NO INSIDE OUT FOR PICTURE???" is the geeky ravings of core toon-fans, it's not.
It was the best mainstream American commercial movie this year. And yes, I've seen Mad Max.

Why did it get "exiled" to Best Animated, just like Wall-E when it started the whole problem in the first place?
Ah, that would be our new habit of worshipping the ground the Golden Globes walk on, believing every one of their proclamations as holy writ, and reading all those articles about the GG's only allowing it for Best Animated competition as "Gasp, surprise upset!"
I suggest a new change next year: Kill the Golden Globes. Preferably Al Pacino-style, with a machine gun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 14th, 2016, 3:44 pm

I'm not bothered by Inside Out not getting a nom for Best Picture. Cause I'm too excited that When Marnie Was There got a nom for Animated Feature.

Overall these nominations seem a return to 'form' for the Academy. On first glance it seems to include enough big name movies in the main categories to make it 'relevant' to the mainstream movie goers.

The only disappointment for me is the song category but when you look at the eligible song lists, it really was a poor year for Original Song. Shame that Fifty Shades is now an Oscar nominated film. Is this the first year that documentaries have taken 2 spots in the Original Song category?

Jennifer Lawrence really is the new Kate Winslet is she? The young actress who gets nominated for farting. At least she didn't have to wait years for her first Oscar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2016, 4:24 pm

I'm just glad Mad Max got in on several counts and that Inside Out was nominated and will likely win, though glad that Shaun The Sheep also got recognised.

My biggest regret is that my third pick of the year, Bob Zemeckis' The Walk, was unable to overcome a terrible title and shine as the perfect movie it was, with Jospeh Gordon-Levitt providing a nomination-worthy performance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 14th, 2016, 5:59 pm

IMO, Inside Out probably should've also gotten a nom for Best Score.

Kinda bummed that The Peanuts Movie isn't among the nominees for BAF. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 14th, 2016, 6:35 pm

droosan wrote:IMO, Inside Out probably should've also gotten a nom for Best Score.
Wait: It sounded like you just said "No Best Score for Inside Out"... :shock:
Ben wrote:My biggest regret is that my third pick of the year, Bob Zemeckis' The Walk, was unable to overcome a terrible title and shine as the perfect movie it was, with Jospeh Gordon-Levitt providing a nomination-worthy performance.
Probably because we'd ALREADY given the movie an Oscar when Man On Wire won Best Documentary.
It must be their bias that doing the real walk was harder than the movies version.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 15th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Had to look up The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared to get a better look for its nomination for Makeup. And found that it was a Swedish film that was first released in 2013. The same year Boy and the World was released.

I imagine they're in the running because their US releases were in 2015. But then the Academy does have a Foreign Language Feature category and Foreign films do get nominated in the other categories on many occasions. I think the Academy needs to look into eligibility practices based on a films original release date.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 15th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Had to look up The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
That might be the most specific title ever.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 15th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Dacey wrote:That might be the most specific title ever.
It's also accurate: An old man escapes and goes on self-discovering adventures.
Every year, Makeup consists of the Fantasy, Historical, and either Blood or Age entries, and this, I'm guessing, would be Age.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2016, 4:10 am

Based on a book my wife read late last year. Apparently pretty good. We keep saying we'll have to catch the movie but I'll probably wait until it's had its US run and get the Blu.

Sometimes a movie can be tailored to its US release. It's only right that a film be viewed on in the version that was issued in the States at that time. I'm not saying 100 YO Man had any tinkering, but it's fair that it gets a look-in in the year it got a release in that country, just like how sometimes a film released in the States in November but not in the UK until February doesn't get regarded for a Bafta until that next year.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 16th, 2016, 9:20 am

So I guess that means the Academy could go really weird on us and Only Yesterday would qualify for next year? :wink:

Joking aside, that was what I figured. The Academy does have a bit of history of doing that with foreign films in the past. I remember Seven Samurai had nominations two years after its first release and that was in the 50s.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2016, 10:22 am

Actually, I'm not the only one to be surprised that 100 YO Man didn't get a foreign language nomination, since I think it would have been a shoo-in to take the award, such has been its exposure around the world.

But then maybe the fact that most voter types would have seen it already was a mark against it in this case. Certainly they would have known about it a couple of years ago and maybe the fact it took so long to get to the States went against it.

Don't forget that, in the 1950s, foreign films often went through alternate cuts, different music scores, dubbing and even additiona, scene insertions, so quite often the release would be delayed as all that can take time. Sometimes a foreign film might not have been picked up for American distribution until it was a hit in its native country (and maybe others). Just as some US films open in other countries months later into the next year, so did those films (I think Seven Samurai had a "tighter" US cut) back in the day, and it would be those editions that would have been eligible for consideration. With subtitles those practices have largely been forgotten so that audiences/voters can experience a film as close as originally intended as possible.

In theory, Only Yesterday could be eligible next year (and likely to if GKids keep up their run at trying for evetything!), unless it was previously up for consideration for '91 or there's some rule that sees this as a promotional run for a DVD dub rather than a new theatrical release. But since it's a new edition, getting a wide release as a new film, as long as it has a qualifying run in LA then it's quite possible GKids will push it (though obviously it has to be selected as eligible to be nominated, and maybe there's a "statue of limitations" that could prohibit that?).

Would be interesting though! :)