Entertainment Weekly

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Entertainment Weekly

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Does anyone read this magazine? I used to LOVE them and read them ALL THE TIME. They had some great articles, particularly on film and even books. Really high-quality pictures too.

Now, IMO, they are basically the equivalent of TV guide. With a few exceptions, this mag has really gone down. It's all about gossip, TV, reality shows, tabloid fodder, sound bites, almost nothing that could be called intelligent or in-depth. (Case in point: In a recent issue, Nicole Richie's DUI was considered "news.")

I"ve been noticing this slide for a long time; I hardly read this mag anymore.

(And the paper quality has REALLY worsened.)

Personally I think this all ties in to the major dumbing-down (or "dumbening"! :) ) of the media in general. Not just the content itself but how it's presented.

Has anyone else noticed this?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2006, 9:08 pm

I read Entertainment Weekly! :)

And yes, I have noticed the downhill in quality. I still think its a great magazine and all, but it could stand a chance of improving.

Oddly enough, I don't mind the gossip, tv and reality shows news, because well, I enjoy that stuff :P

I remember a few years back there were great articles about Disney, Simpsons, Glen Keane! And what have of you, though I haven't had a great article in LONG while :(

And paper quality? I don't really see a difference. I do notice the cover is cheaper, but not the inside of it.

IMO, Tv guide is becoming more of a favorite of mine. It has great in-depth articles about Tv shows and the actors that star in them. But its suppose to, because its 'Tv Guide'

With Tv Guides latest update, EW should really consider changing paths and focusing more on other areas, such as movies and music.

Btw.. I think the paper quality in Tv Guide is a lot better than EW ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 9:27 pm

If there's something good inside I might pick it up, but I rarely do anymore. :?

There's nothing wrong with fun stuff like TV shows and the like--I just don't think it should be their ONLY focus.
With Tv Guides latest update, EW should really consider changing paths and focusing more on other areas, such as movies and music.
Yeah, I agree--what's really sad is that this is pretty much ALL they used to do--TV was only a small part. Now it's most of every issue.
And they hardly have anything on animation anymore--they used to do a whole lot more. Now hardly at all. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2006, 9:55 pm

I know how you feel Vi! :cry:

I mean, yes its all right to have articles on Tv, but like you said, it shouldn't be their main focus.

I also remember all the animation articles, those were really neat :) their was like 5 pages of reading!

bring them back EW! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » December 11th, 2006, 10:19 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I get all I want from EW online. I used to have the subscription for a long time, but didn't bother to renew it recently. I did live for their special double issues though (fall tv preview, music preview, summer movie issue, etc...). Those are good. I like lists.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 11:29 pm

their special double issues though (fall tv preview, music preview, summer movie issue, etc...). Those are good. I like lists.
I still like those too, but they don't occur that often.

Also, years ago their site was totally free. :? (Well, a lot of mags used to be until the Internet got REALLY big.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 12th, 2006, 12:12 am

Well, it is still free, but they do charge for certain things :?

And those are the best editions! Tv and movie previews are my favorites! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » December 12th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Does anyone read Variety? I have but like I REALLY want to see the 'for your consideration' ads this year. I love looking how artisitic the studios get. If anyone can like scan them on here I'd really love that and eat it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 12th, 2006, 8:33 pm

My school library gets Variety, but I don't know how to scan and we're not allowed to take them out anyway...

Sorry. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 13th, 2006, 11:02 am

Rio wrote:Does anyone read Variety? I have but like I REALLY want to see the 'for your consideration' ads this year. I love looking how artisitic the studios get. If anyone can like scan them on here I'd really love that and eat it.
You can find just about all of the "For Your Consideration" advertisements for this year's films at Oscar Watch. Meanwhile, a blurb was included in today's Animated News reports regarding the "FYC" ads for animated movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » December 15th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Alright, thanks. I found another site... but I forgot what it was called. Dang karma.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 17th, 2006, 2:10 am

Meh I still find it pretty solid and a better read that most mainstream mo vie/tv based magazines (Premiere is only useful for the odd article). I agree that it's not what it was but I don't see a huge drop in quality--tho I still hate the "new look" with floating columns etc

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 17th, 2006, 8:32 pm

But you can't deny how film articles have gone way down in favor of TV articles. (Ugh!) I hate most TV so that's a problem for me.

They are also WAYYYYYY too celebrity focused. I have never seen a supposadely respectable magazine KISS SO MUCH *** as they do,
and not just once in a while but ALL THE TIME!!! :shock:

It's basically MTV-ized itself. And all the writers are obviously very young and know diddly about film history/criticism. Other than Owen Gleiberman (whom I agree with WAYYYY more than Lisa Schwartzbaum)
the writers are all about tabloid/reality shows/sound bites/one-paragraph "articles".

Most of the time, it's not worth the (low-quality) paper it's printed on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 17th, 2006, 8:55 pm

ShyViolet wrote:But you can't deny how film articles have gone way down in favor of TV articles. (Ugh!) I hate most TV so that's a problem for me.
Nope, not even I can't deny that :P

Hate? I disagree ;)
ShyViolet wrote: It's basically MTV-ized itself. And all the writers are obviously very young and know diddly about film history/criticism. Other than Owen Gleiberman (whom I agree with WAYYYY more than Lisa Schwartzbaum)
Wow, you hit the nail on the head Vi!

And I completly agree about Lisa, I disagree with her so much, its not even funny. I would mention articles, but I forgot :(

Sometimes, even on their fedback, I see people disagreeing with her, is it any wonder why?
ShyViolet wrote: Most of the time, it's not worth the (low-quality) paper it's printed on.
Ouch! That had to hurt :?

Well, its not that bad. Granted it can improve, but what can you do?

Picky, picky :roll: j/k :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 17th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Reh. I have refused to read EW ever since they said Stargate was inferior to Battlestar Galactica...