Entertainment Weekly

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 18th, 2007, 9:38 pm

I still don't see much of an improvement in this magazine, but I still think Owen Gleiberman RULES. (I always thought so, but when he gave Madagascar an A- when so many of his peers were ripping the thing to shreds, he stock in my mind rose up to the stratosphere! :) )

Anyways, I still don't like Lisa S much (Nah not Lisa Simpson, Schwartzbaum! :P) but I did like how she reviewed Lady in the Water, particularly this line in her review:
Story needs to get back to where she once belonged, but she's thwarted by an unpleasant, wiry, drooling creature called a scrunt, and it's up to Cleveland to rally the rest of the circus-tent tenants (among them Cindy Cheung as a hard-edged, go-getter Korean college student, Jeffrey Wright as a quiet crossword-puzzle fanatic, Bill Irwin as a dour, housebound TV watcher, and Shyamalan as a sensitive writer whose work, Story prophesies, will profoundly affect future generations) to help Dorothy get back to Kansas. I mean to help E.T. get back to the spaceship. I mean to help Story get back to the Blue World, and in so doing, discover the bit of spiritual blue that exists within each of us if only we believe in Tinker Bell, ecology, Jungian archetypes, and the possibility of being touched by an angel.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 19th, 2007, 9:26 pm

Neither do I. But its still entertaining! :P

I think, Owen, is good as well. Certanly, one of my favorites!

Eww, I don't like Lisa S very much either. I don't know why, something about her reviews. :? Also, she was the guest person last week on Ebert & Roper. Yeah... she was kind of dull. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 19th, 2007, 9:46 pm

(I always thought so, but when he gave Madagascar an A- when so many of his peers were ripping the thing to shreds, he stock in my mind rose up to the stratosphere!
Bah...Madagascar deserved a C+ or B-, at best...It was pretty and had some good scenes but that was about it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2007, 10:00 pm

You should watch it again Meg. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 20th, 2007, 10:59 am

I tried...But I just can't get past Chris Rocks' voice...:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 20th, 2007, 6:17 pm

Oh, OK, I guess it's a personal thing then....:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 21st, 2007, 10:05 am

That doesn't mean I won't see the second one though. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 23rd, 2007, 12:08 am

Cool! :)