The Disney DVD Vault

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Disney DVD Vault

Post by macontosh2000 » January 7th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Can anyone tell me what dvds are going into the vault on Jan 31?

Disney.com is saying that The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe Four-Disc DVD, Bambi Special Edition, Lady And The Tramp 50th Anniversary Edition, Lady And The Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure are going into the vault but a friend said that Fox and the Hound is going too, can anyone give me a complete list.

I am sorry if there is a thread about this already, i didnt see one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 7th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Nope, that's the complete list.

Funny, I know The Fox and The Hound was a limited time, but I haven't heard about a date for it to go back in the vault. :?

So, IMO I wouldn't worry about that one :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2007, 9:37 am

Fox And The Hound will still have copies out on the shelves for a good long while.

I did hear Bambi II was going back too, after the original 70 day release thing didn't really happen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 8th, 2007, 3:42 pm

I don't understand this Disney Vault crap.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 8th, 2007, 5:14 pm

Ok...? :?

Ben - yup, that's true. Why, just the other day, I saw it on the store shelfs and thought, hmm... And I bought mine fast, why? Oh well, its fair. And I just loved Bambi II. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 12th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Macaluso wrote:I don't understand this Disney Vault crap.
Essentially it's marketing, to get us to go out and buy everything we want before it disappears.

Then, we "grow up" and have our own kids, or younger kids get to the right age (Disney reckons every seven years) and they put them out again.

Makes sense really, even if it is frustrating. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 12th, 2007, 12:45 pm

Yeah. That seems to be the logic behind it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney Movies Going Back Into the Vault

Post by Foxtale » January 1st, 2008, 6:53 pm

Sorry if this was posted ever but I wanted to start a discussion about this.

Since ads are everywhere that the Cinderella DVD was going back into the vault along with Cinderella 2 and 3 I was curious about what that really meant.

I don't competely understand it. Why do they do this (besides money)? When do they deside that a movie needs to be put "back in the vault"? Truly have the ones put there not been released since? What movies have been put there so far? What happens when the date they go back into the vault arrives? Do they take all the current copies off the shelves or do they just not print them anymore? Etc. ?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Movies Going Back Into the Vault

Post by EricJ » January 1st, 2008, 8:08 pm

Foxtale wrote:Since ads are everywhere that the Cinderella DVD was going back into the vault along with Cinderella 2 and 3 I was curious about what that really meant.
When do they deside that a movie needs to be put "back in the vault"? Truly have the ones put there not been released since?
Not yet--The idea was that they rotate in cycles (as with the upcoming Blu-ray re-release of "Sleeping Beauty", whose turn should be coming up about now)
What movies have been put there so far? What happens when the date they go back into the vault arrives? Do they take all the current copies off the shelves or do they just not print them anymore? Etc. ?
Yes. :D

The idea on the Platinum titles was that the ten pre-listed select titles (mostly The Ones You've Heard Of) would be specialty items for one year only--Thus building up more "suspense" for a generational-classic title, and more interest, rather than just declining longterm sales.

As for why the sequels have to go with them, that's the mystery:
When it first happened with "Lion King II" and "Return to Neverland" , we naturally assumed that the upcoming Platinum releases of Lion and Pan would tack them on as bonus extras (as some of the overseas R2 edistions did)...
But given that the R1 sequels got their own solo sales pushes anyway, we know it can't be that--So, um, why are they still retiring them?? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 1st, 2008, 8:46 pm

According to last weeks Best Buy ad, the movies that are going into the vault this year, are: The Sword in the Stone, Alice in Wonderland and both trilogies for Cinderella and Aladdin. Got them all, so I'm good! :)

And yep, we talked about this some before - here. Heh, don't sweat it Foxtale, that's why I'm around! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 1st, 2008, 9:03 pm

Copies don't get pulled from the shelves, they just can't be ordered anymore by retail outlets past the given date. I bought Snow White years after it was "in the vault."

Every studio does this, by the way. Eventually, titles must go "out of print". Only, Disney trumpets it loudly to create interest. It's just marketing. And their stuff ALWAYS gets re-released later in new editions--- though some titles must wait longer than others.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2008, 7:35 am

Thanks Dan, I merged the existing and new Disney DVD Vault threads.

All the basics have been pretty well covered already, but I should clarify that when EricJ says some European editions contained the video sequels as extras, that's not quite true.

While the Region 1 editions are all sold separately, the Euro versions often come out in box sets that <I>bundle</I> the SE of a Platinum title with the existing video sequel. More a combo set than a true extra.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 2nd, 2008, 4:16 pm

Ben wrote:All the basics have been pretty well covered already, but I should clarify that when EricJ says some European editions contained the video sequels as extras, that's not quite true.

While the Region 1 editions are all sold separately, the Euro versions often come out in box sets that <I>bundle</I> the SE of a Platinum title with the existing video sequel. More a combo set than a true extra.
(Didn't the French R2 "Peter Pan" Platinum come with "Return" as Disk 2?--
Thought that was what started the whole idea in the first place.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 2nd, 2008, 6:16 pm

Thanks for merging the threads.

I understand now. Thanks so much for the clarification guys. Makes a whole lot of sense. So it really isn't any different than normal dvds no longer being produced. I figured it was just for marketing. It must work because most people don't realize when things go out of print most of the time and instead of going on wild goose hunts to try and find them later they purposely buy a dvd they were probably pondering buying just to make sure they don't miss out on it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2008, 9:19 am

EricJ wrote:Didn't the French R2 "Peter Pan" Platinum come with "Return" as Disk 2?
Actually, there were two issues in France: the two-disc "Grande Classique" edition and a bundled three-disc with the two-disc and RTN-L bundled.

The two disc edition of Peter Pan in France is better than we got in R1 - it also included the complete 1924 Paramount version!

They did it again for Jungle Book and are doing it again for Dalmatians:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Dalmatians- ... 0010KG2GA/