Cartoon Brew

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2007, 8:01 pm

I think Cartoon Brew has interesting stuff, which is why I check it out every once in a while, and why I posted this thread. (I also find UPA interesting, another reason I like to check out the blog.)

But I would never post there--I already know from his Animation Blast days that Amid hates DreamWorks with a passion and if he ever discusses anything DreamWorks related, 9.9/10 times it's to make a really, really, mean swipe at them (not honest criticism, just MEAN comments.)

I'm sure he wouldn't care what I think though.....I'm just a DW fangirl.....not a very populous (or popular) commodity. :wink: My comments would probably be deleted....:roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2007, 9:55 am

You'll find Jerry likes the DreamWorks stuff every now and then. I do like how they don't go out of their way to agree with each other.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2007, 3:13 am

Yeah, I noticed Jerry does like DreamWorks sometimes...I know he liked Over the Hedge.

I can't help wondering if there's going to be any action in the comments section when Shrek The Third is released.... :wink:

Now that I'm looking foward to seeing.....as well as Shrek the Third! :P

(But they shouldn't have put that Outside the House vid on their blog....it's one thing to make fun of all those random, general animal/CGI flicks out there but that video was just SO MEAN-SPIRITED... :evil: And yeah I know it came from YouTube, but still....)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 6:01 am

BTW, you can't comment on ANY of the older posts from before the site was made over.....

.....what a shocker. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2007, 8:00 am

Well, lay easy on them Vi, since that's probably a technical thing. Who would want to go back and add that function to the hundreds and thousands of stories they already posted?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 6th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Jim Hill reviews Amid Amidi's new book: "Cartoon Modern" :)

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... eview.aspx

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 6th, 2007, 10:51 pm

To be honestly truthful, Vi, I looked at "Cartoon Modern" in the bookstore and HATED it.

Couldn't really understand why anybody is recommending this book as the "best of its pack" for last year other than so few books came out in that category anyway! The best animation books by far the past few years have been new INSTRUCTIONAL books by Tony White, Nancy Beiman, and a couple of others. The post-Hyperion/post-1999 Disney era artbooks have pretty much all been disappointing with the exceptions of some English translations of Studio Ghibli artbooks.

I've felt very indifferent to the great bulk of Chronicle art of animation books (vastly overrated) and even feel that their Pixar books are overrated. Heck, the last good Pixar artbook I picked up was the excellent Applewood Books Toy Story Sketchbook.

The Applewood and Hyperion animation book lines just didn't sell well and that's why those hardcovers got discontinued. I picked up quite a few of those books myself at high discounts (65% or better) while I was living in Chicago. ALL the copies I bought were still in shrink-wrap!

I understand people want to break with past traditions and start new trends, but there are times when you ignore the rules that the results just don't look good and DON'T justify breaking with the rules in the first place!

I HATE modern art.

I'm no fan of UPA (ugly-looking cartoons IMHO with very limited animation), the great bulk of Hanna-Barbera, Disney's Sleeping Beauty (the most sterile-looking feature of Walt's era), and a bunch of the other artwork this book celebrates. This cheaper method of production has led to a sameness and sterility in TV animation that has continued to this day in the US with very few breaks in quality.

Let me put things straight -- aside from personal enmity for Amid Amidi and the great @#$%R@#-holedness that he represents, I'm not a big fan of 1950s animation. That, to me, is when animation in the U.S. began to go wrong.

Why celebrate this crap with a new book? I just don't get it...!

I'm sorry but Dexter's Lab, Clone Wars, and quite a few of the other animated series produced today look like the stuff produced in the late 1950s. There's also a tendency by too many artists to copy Mary Blair (Pixar loves Mary Blair to death but nobody seems to get it through their heads that her stuff just DOESN'T WORK IN ANIMATION 99% OF THE TIME!) and the Golden Books of the same era, too. And that's a GOOD thing?

Again, the main reason for doing things the H-B way is to save money. Japan has managed to put more detail and color into its animation production drawings for a fraction of the US production costs but the animation itself is still horrible (in a movement sense). These factors as well as the more diverse subject matter I think why many American animation fans gravitate to Japanese animation. Still doesn't make the animation itself great, though.

We'll never go back to the 1940s era of classic animation. That stuff was positively the best in ANIMATED art, slapstick, and personalities. It's just too expensive for most people today to do animation that way and very few professional animators and producers have the mentality, energy reserves, and patience to do animation like that at any rate.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 8th, 2007, 2:26 pm

GeorgeC wrote:I HATE modern art.

I'm no fan of UPA (ugly-looking cartoons IMHO with very limited animation), the great bulk of Hanna-Barbera, Disney's Sleeping Beauty (the most sterile-looking feature of Walt's era), and a bunch of the other artwork this book celebrates. This cheaper method of production has led to a sameness and sterility in TV animation that has continued to this day in the US with very few breaks in quality.

Let me put things straight -- aside from personal enmity for Amid Amidi and the great @#$%R@#-holedness that he represents, I'm not a big fan of 1950s animation. That, to me, is when animation in the U.S. began to go wrong.

Why celebrate this crap with a new book? I just don't get it...!
Interesting George. I actually share some of your sentiments....I have the Charles Solomon book Enchanted Drawings (stops at Lion King) and he devotes a whole chapter to UPA. I liked their look, thought it was interesting, (Weren't a lot of them former Disney animators too?) but....I'm also not crazy about the fact that it's limited animation and that it influenced television cartoons into going that route as well. I love the Gerald McBoing-Boing look, but that doesn't mean that's ALL I want to see.
It just seems like Cartoon Brew is ONLY interested in that look, and that look period. (Ditto John K)

It was a conscious, artistic choice with UPA but later on, with 1960s television and even current cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Foster's, Fairly OddParents etc....TOO limited and too exaggerated. Just my feeling though.

Exaggerated cartoony stuff can be great but like you said George, the guys in the 30s and 40s did it the best, full animation but still cartoony and beautiful to look at. I'm also no basher of realistic-type animation IN TRADITIONAL MODE, like say Cinderella, Wendy, Alice, Snow White....a lot of people hate that kind of character model but I never had a problem with it....it served the story.

With CGI, it's another world entirely. (again, just my opinion. :wink:) A lot of stuff that looks good in 2d also looks good in CGI but not EVERYTHING. Cartoony stuff is best in CGI, and not all of it equally so. CGI is just so limited IMHO. (I mean artistically) People see it as having greater freedom but in my opinion it's the exact opposite. You are really boxing yourself in with computers. There's not a whole lot of places you can go aesthetically except "be more real." And who wants more real?

(Again, there are exceptions to this, like with The Steadfast Tin Soldier section in F-2000 and the look of Glen Keane's Rupunzel. Overall, however, this is basically how I see CGI. And motion capture--don't get me started. I'm no expert, but to me motion capture is basically like having a coloring book and filling in the lines, but not actually drawing the stuff yourself. And even regular CGI is not all that different, unfortunately. :( Although there are exceptions of course, but in general, I don't think CGI, no matter how good it is, can ever have the cultural, emotional, and historical impact that traditional animation has had in its heyday. It's just not possible. )
GeorgeC wrote:There's also a tendency by too many artists to copy Mary Blair (Pixar loves Mary Blair to death but nobody seems to get it through their heads that her stuff just DOESN'T WORK IN ANIMATION 99% OF THE TIME!) and the Golden Books of the same era, too. And that's a GOOD thing?

Especially CGI animation!! :roll: I looked up some info on her and she did some great stuff on the 50's traditional films like Alice and Wonderland, etc....but it's a whole other thing when you do it in CGI. I like some of what Pixar does (I guess Monster's Inc was meant to echo the Blair look?)
but even with being more cartoony than say, DW or other studios, their stuff is still too real-looking for its own good. There's just no way to escape that unless you STOP USING THE COMPUTER.

(Or make some radical changes, like Glen Keane. But how many studios would invest in that on a full-time basis? :?)

One thing I can't understand about Cartoon Brew however: Amid seems to dislike everything that's CGI and is purely about older, pioneering, vintage animation from the 1950s and 60s.

So why does he always praise Pixar's art--Pixar is CGI and has NEVER made one traditional cartoon, ever. :?

I guess it's the aesthetic choices Pixar makes, the whole "cartoony" thing influenced by the older styles, but IMHO, if the Brew REALLY loves that style, they would do better by encouraging Pixar to abandon CGI and go full-tilt into adopting it into traditional films.

Of course, that will never happen, but....:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 1st, 2007, 12:05 am