I wish there were more animation music soundtracks!

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
GeorgeC

I wish there were more animation music soundtracks!

Post by GeorgeC » January 26th, 2005, 10:49 pm

Besides the Disney and DreamWorks animated features, that is...

There's hardly anything from Batman: The Animated Series, for instance. You have to get the theme for that show from a CD put by Sci-Fi years ago and the only Batman animated movie that has a soundtrack album is "Mask of the Phantasm." Other than that, the only other piece of music I've been able to pick up online (LEGAL download) is the theme to the New Batman/Superman Adventures.

Superman: TAS also had a lot of nice pieces to it, too. Besides the main theme, there were themes for Green Lantern (one of the most majestic superhero themes composed in years), Dr. Fate, and a bit of replay from the late Flash TV series for the episode "Speed Demons" which I liked a lot.

It's great that both Batman and Superman are finally getting their animated series boxsets, now what about the music, WB?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2005, 1:03 am

I think the companies in charge of these shows don't realize people might want this stuff. Plus, I'm a big Green Lantern fan but I don't know of any Green Lantern TV show except the very short-lived one in the mid-60's that I've never even seen because I was born shortly after it aired and I'm pretty sure it never had any repeats. Is this the show you're talking about? I do have a poor quality black-and-white video file of the opening sequence though. Watched it once about a year ago and don't really remember anything about the music.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2005, 5:50 am

I agree, especially since WB is usually pretty good about putting out CD releases like this on their Rhino imprint.

Animaniacs got three/four soundtrack issues, so surprising that they don't event put out a compilation superhero CD of the main themes. These were written by high profile composers for gawd's sake, not jobbing TV composers.

I guess the time has past now, what with both shows not being as "hot" as they once were, but you'd think the DVD releases would warrant such things. Howsabout an isolated music track on those huh?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 27th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Christian wrote:I think the companies in charge of these shows don't realize people might want this stuff. Plus, I'm a big Green Lantern fan but I don't know of any Green Lantern TV show except the very short-lived one in the mid-60's that I've never even seen because I was born shortly after it aired and I'm pretty sure it never had any repeats. Is this the show you're talking about? I do have a poor quality black-and-white video file of the opening sequence though. Watched it once about a year ago and don't really remember anything about the music.
No, the Green Lantern theme I'm talking about is the one composed for the Superman: TAS episode, "In Brightest Light..." (1999) I'm aware of the Filmation GL series but am much more interested in the 1990s material. Besides, the 1990s DC animated series are much better than anything Filmation or Hanna-Barbera did.

The Superman:TAS intro'd GL theme also been used as John Stewart's theme throughout the Justice League animated series. It's a very majestic theme that's aural. It suggests mystery, suspense, and adventure. Very fitting for the Green Lantern character even though I wish they had used Hal Jordan for the Superman episode instead of Kyle Rayner... They wrote that episode probably back in 1997 or 1998 so DC corporate politics mandated they use the Kyle Rayner character even though the animated series' writers blended the basic Jordan origin and look onto the Kyle Rayner name.

There were only a few bars of the Flash theme played in Superman: TAS, "Speed Demons," but anybody that watched the live-action show could recognize the theme playing in the animated episode...

There have been rumors on and off about a collection of 90s Superman/Batman animated music, but it hasn't happened although I'm sure other fans have brought it up again and again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 28th, 2005, 2:43 am

I agree that the 90's stuff is better than the Filmation stuff. I just didn't know what Green Lantern theme you were talking about. Is that episode of Superman with Green Lantern in it available on any DVD?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 28th, 2005, 9:52 am

Christian wrote:I agree that the 90's stuff is better than the Filmation stuff. I just didn't know what Green Lantern theme you were talking about. Is that episode of Superman with Green Lantern in it available on any DVD?

No, it's not available yet.

Superman: TAS only had 52 episodes made and WB Home Video just released the first set of it. It was a 2-disc set with 18 episodes on it.

My guess is that they'll do 2 more sets of Superman: TAS with 17 episodes each to cover the remainder of the series.

The GL episode will be on one of the last two volumes of the series. I'm guessing WB Home Video is doing the series in production order like Batman: TAS.

(WB Home Video is milking Batman for all its 100+ episode worth and that show looks to be a four-volume, 4-disc per set release. My guess is WB Home Video will finish both series releases early in 2006 if they do another volume for each series later this year...)

The Flash episode is available in both Volume One of Superman: TAS and a Superman: TAS single DVD release called "A Piece of Home."

I'd recommend getting the 2-disc series release myself. I'm going to eventually get it, but budget realities forced me to postpone buying it and I just got the Volume 2 release of Batman: TAS this week.

I've been seeing Superman: TAS Volume One retail for $19.99 practically everywhere I've bothered to look for it...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 28th, 2005, 4:10 pm

*huggles limewire, and then listens to inspector gadget*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: I wish there were more animation music soundtracks!

Post by Baree » November 30th, 2010, 1:51 pm

Ok, I have been trying to find a thread for this... I think this one will suffice. Sometimes its hard to decide whether its better to start a new thread or drag an existing one from the grave. I am quite happy, I just managed to find a near mint "Evergreen Nights" vinyl from Lisa Lougheed. For those who might not know, its the official soundtrack for "The Raccoons". Lisa was the voice of... well, Lisa in the cartoon. She also sung the show's theme song "Run With Us" from, I believe, season 3 onwards. In my experience its almost impossible to find and I have been looking for it for some time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: I wish there were more animation music soundtracks!

Post by Darkblade » December 30th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I question why they bothered making the music for certain animation but dont release a soundtrack for it afterward. The garfield specials, as well as garfield and friends are the worst offender when it comes to music without a soundtrack for animation. You had most of the songs done by then singer Lou Rawls. There was a soundtrack called "Am I cool or what" but it had songs inspired by the show.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » May 6th, 2011, 9:06 pm

If they don't bother releasing the soundtrack for an animated series, it's probably because it isn't very good to begin with. That has been my impression at least.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 6th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Or.... maybe it's because they just don't sell.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 6th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Or...maybe Carl's "angry Bolt" icon speaks volumes about his personality. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » May 7th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Hehe, yeah maybe. ^^

Nah, but I love movie soundtracks. John Powell is awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meson » June 8th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Running a soundtrack based website, I am reminded every day that the networks don't release their tv animation soundtracks. Hwever, I did find a solution. Every so ofen, someone releases compilation albums. It takes about 5 years after a perticular series airs before it gets included in one of these, but it is still a solution for the more popular series.
http://toonradio.net - Music to read comics by