The goofiest Spider-Man series is on the web

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
GeorgeC

The goofiest Spider-Man series is on the web

Post by GeorgeC » March 6th, 2009, 2:12 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... r-man-show

Ah, the 1970s...

An era of good music, disgustingly bad fashion tastes that made the psychedelic 1960s look good, and a Japanese Spider-Man TV series featuring a moto-cross pro alter-ego Spidey with a giant transforming robot????

Yep, Power Rangers meets web-shielded robots! :?

And, it's being streamed live on the web now!

Where... I don't know. I've only seen this mess on YouTube, myself!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2009, 11:49 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah! ;)

Used to have a few of these on VHS. Quite manic!

Easy to find...I just clicked the word "streaming" in the first sentence of your link and it takes you to the page with Episode One ready play when you scroll down a bit.

It actually has some pretty neat production values! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 6th, 2009, 12:09 pm

I have seen the first episode one time,it's so weird XD.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 6th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Ben wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah! ;)

Used to have a few of these on VHS. Quite manic!

Easy to find...I just clicked the word "streaming" in the first sentence of your link and it takes you to the page with Episode One ready play when you scroll down a bit.

It actually has some pretty neat production values! :)

Did not see that!

When I posted this link, it was pretty late and I didn't see the words "Marvel.com" and "streaming from their website"! I was operating at less than 100%.

I do believe that the show was released on DVD in Japan while back as a limited boxset (like most TV series over there). I also read that Stan Lee recorded a mini-documentary to explain the origins of the series. Marvel was licensing some of its characters overseas and it resulted in both this TV series and an earlier Spider-Man manga (circa 1973) that was markedly different from the original American comic book series.

Right now, as the article states later, Tatsunoko Productions, producers of Speed Racer and Gatchaman amongst many anime series, is licensing several Marvel characters to pair them up with home-grown Japanese heroes in a new anime heroes.

This really isn't new. Capcom, the video game maker, did several Marvel-themed games in the 1990s culminating in a series of Street Fighter-influenced games that paired the Marvel characters with the Street Fighter characters. A weird fusion, yes, but the games were fun!