New release Maquette and Statue Thread

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 28th, 2005, 1:06 am

Here is another maquette Electric Tiki is offering that might be of more interest to fans of Dean Yeagle, animation artist and contributor to Playboy magazine -- http://www.electrictiki.com/original%20 ... mandy.html

As the guy in the first Robocop movie said, "I'd buy that for a dollar!" :lol:

Seriously, it's one of the sexier girl-next-door animated-style statues I've seen. Looks pretty darn good!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 28th, 2005, 11:51 am

That... is very well proportioned!

Actually, I'm serious - a very nice stylised representation of a girl without the usual pitfalls of "too much and too little" in various places.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 30th, 2005, 3:11 am

Here's an update on the Betty Boop maquette Electric Tiki is producing --

an image of the color paint master for the maquette!

http://www.electrictiki.com/classic%20t ... culpt.html

Looks pretty good... Question is, is this the B & W Betty Boop? If that's the case, why isn't her skin white instead of pink?

I thought the full-color Betty Boop wore red lipstick and usually had a red dress on?

I'm gonna e-mail Tiki when I get back to my own computer after the Holiday is over...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 30th, 2005, 5:23 am

Yeah, George, I agree.

Design is great - love the hair curls - but this looks to be some "hlafway house" between a black'n'white model and full color.

I agree that a proper color version should be wearing red.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 7th, 2005, 12:52 am

I e-mailed Electric Tiki and got what I consider a halfway weak answer as to why they're coloring Betty Boop this way.

Basically, Tiki wants their statue to stand out. There are a million other Betty Boop statues that they're competing against. Right now, there's no question their design/pose is better than at least 75% of the other Betty Boop statues on the market.

I just don't think is a good way to color Betty Boop.

Either go FULL-COLOR with a decent color scheme, or B & W I say. Half-way inbetween does NOT look good. I'm in total agree with Ben on that one.

If this is the final proposed paint job, I'm not so sure I'd buy the Tiki statue after all...

They won't be hurting for sales from me because I want to get BOTH versions of the Fleischer Popeye and Mandy (the pinup gal!), but it's beginning to look like I may look at another Betty Boop statue.

There are a TON of Betty Boop statues for sale on e-Bay now. It's just a matter of sifting through and deciding which design is closest to being on-model, which poses you like best, and ultimately which color/design suits your fancy. There's also the matter of how much money you're willing to spend on the statue, too! :lol:

I LIKE the Tiki pose -- it's classic Betty --, but I hate the coloring job as it stands now. It's half-good, but not good enough as it stands now for me to spend my money on IMHO.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 7th, 2005, 6:52 pm

On second thought, maybe I WILL get the Tiki Betty Boop after all.

Great statue -- color scheme is kinda Gothish for my likes, but it's still the best statue I've seen of that character.

Wow -- I'm fickle today! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 8th, 2005, 8:28 am

Maybe it's me, but it doesn't seem to have the svelt smooth lines that I've seen on other Bettys.

I like their Fleischer Popeye one, but this Betty is too much of a compromise and I think it spoils the effect.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 17th, 2005, 10:18 pm

The B & W Fleischer Popeye maquette/statue variant is now available for pre-order through Previews catalog and several comic book website.

The cut-off date for pre-order is August 1st.

There are only 250 of these variants being made; 500 are being produced of the full-color main version.

TalesofWonder.com and Discount Comic Book Service ( dcsbservice.com ) have the statue at preorder discount for $45. That's $15 LESS than the color version at Electric Tiki.

The Mandy Statue is now available for pre-order at Electric Tiki. It's $89... Steep!

GeorgeC

REPAINTED Betty Boop statues up for pre-order!

Post by GeorgeC » August 21st, 2005, 12:17 am

Electric Tiki obviously got a bunch of e-mail responses about their Betty Boop maquette and the the past paint job on it. The statue has been changed for the better!

Pre-orders are up now for the final versionS of this statue!

Yep, they're doing THREE versions of Betty Boop in limited runs of 250 pieces a-piece for $49. They all look VERY nice!

Here is the URL to the final pre-production paint jobs on the maquettes:
http://www.electrictiki.com/classic%20t ... culpt.html

Personally, if I could afford it I'd get the black-and-white and red dress versions of Betty. Betty in full-color with a black dress doesn't look as good to me as the red because of the lower color contrast from her natural hair color.

GeorgeC

French animation statues site...

Post by GeorgeC » May 24th, 2006, 11:19 pm

http://www.demonsetmerveilles.com/

I have a couple of the earlier statues.

Good company, decent capturing of classic animated characters in sculpture.

The prices are also not bad, either.

Your better comic shops in the bigger American markets (LA, Chicago, NY) and major comic book conventions very often carry these statues.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Yeah, George...I think this is the company I mentioned to you a while back now. I have a lot of their stuff.

The one thing I never picked up was the Tex Avery chess set, with all the figures represented as characters from Avery MGM shorts: Droopy, the Wolf and Red...100 pieces and great stuff.

GeorgeC

She's Not Bad... She's just sculpted that way!

Post by GeorgeC » February 20th, 2009, 9:34 am

http://www.electrictiki.com/classic%20t ... horts.html

NEXT in Electric Tiki's Disney line...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Hubba-hubba!

I mean, seriously, hubba-hubba! What else <I>is</I> there to say!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 20th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Wow,she looks a lot like the character :o.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » February 20th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Ben wrote:Hubba-hubba!

I mean, seriously, hubba-hubba! What else <I>is</I> there to say!? ;)
A great deal more but these are family boards. :twisted: