Animation Nation

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Animation Nation

Post by ShyViolet » February 27th, 2005, 10:48 pm

I'm not saying I was interested in joining that blog or whatever it is, but I can't believe how snotty they are. You have to go through a whole thing before they "accept" you into their "club." Plus, I clicked on "register" and it said: "Sorry, we are not accepting new members at this time."

Screw that.

:roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 28th, 2005, 2:05 am

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I'm a big fan of Animation Nation, though I don't get to join in the discussions as much as I'd like to. Based on your reaction, I'm assuming you saw the "IN YOUR FACE, DREAMWORKS!!!" thread with the quote "Put THAT up your pipe and smoke it, Katzenburg!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2005, 6:05 pm

Uh....well....maybe.... :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2005, 6:10 pm

I take back what I said. There were some nice people on that board who stood up for him and said that the thread was an abusive thing.

So I'm sorry about what I said. :oops:

And I do enjoy reading the threads there. But I think they mostly want people who are in the industry to contribute, which I guess I can understand.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 3rd, 2005, 1:48 am

I don't see why any DreamWorks-philes would want to get involved on Animation Nation.

There's no question a line has been drawn in the sand and most posters (including people who HAVE worked on DW films) there DO NOT like the DW films. I sorta fall in that crowd, too, but I'm not dumb enough to write a post title like that jerk did a few days ago. Most people are smarter and more mature than that.

The thing is that with all the really dumb decisions that Disney's made in the past few years, a lot of people felt let down by Katzenberg's pronouncements about the death of 2-D and by HIS decision to close down 2-D production at DreamWorks. A lot of these people LIKED Katzenberg and some of those close to him in production had pleasant experiences and benefitted from their relationship with him. A number of people who associated with Katzenberg -- rightfully or wrongfully --, got promoted to positions of greater production authority and got to do things no other Disney executive would have let them do.

The failure of 2-D feature animation at DreamWorks -- and everywhere else in Hollywood -- had NOTHING to do with the technique and EVERYTHING to do with bad storytelling, poor characterizations, and micromanaging production from top to bottom as well as rushing movies into production before stories were locked down.

There were massive amounts of overspending on feature animation because of this poor planning and management meddling. Management just don't understand that not every $100-million-plus movie is going to make a half-billion dollars! They can sign all the celebrity voices they want and pay these egomaniacs millions of dollars to TALK in a movie, but unless the characters and stories are compelling to audiences, people aren't going to line up and pay money to see these films in theaters.

People are really blasting Katzenberg because like the typical executive he's passed the buck onto other people and hasn't taken responsibility for his OWN meddling in story conferences and dumb decision-making. He's blamed the medium. SHORT OF ACTUALLY SAYING IT, he's blamed THE AUDIENCE for DreamWorks' failures at the box office with traditional animation.

Violet, people have told you this stuff about a million times but I don't know why you're keeping your head in the sand about it unless you're Jeffrey Katzenberg himself or a loyal DreamWorks employee.

You're going to continue to go in circles and annoy some other people unless you come to grips with the reality of this situation, face facts, and realize what I've said is how most animation fans and professionals perceive Katzenberg and DreamWorks.

Sure, some people are tactless and call JK an SOB and other nasty stuff, but underneath it there are legitimate reasons for people to feel let down by the guy and how DreamWorks' films have generally turned out...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » March 3rd, 2005, 11:39 am

This is not directly related to the topic, but I finally just saw Shark Tale on dvd and while it wasn't a bad film, it wasn't in the least bit memorable. Nothing about it was original or fresh. I'm a bit concerned about DreamWorks animation because their only bonafide blockbuster success has been the 2 Shrek films. They need to be able to succeed on something other than a Shrek film if their going to effectively compete in the world of animation. There's only so many Shrek films you can do before the public starts to say, "Okay, I've had my fill now, that's enough". I think Katzenberg's a smart guy; I just hope he soon sees that their losing there direction here, before they end up closing their whole animation division.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 3rd, 2005, 12:17 pm

Violet, people have told you this stuff about a million times but I don't know why you're keeping your head in the sand about it unless you're Jeffrey Katzenberg himself or a loyal DreamWorks employee.

It's a free country, these are just my opinions. Like you probably saw on the site there are people on Animation Nation who said positive things about JK.
DW's movies are animated films just like any other films; some people like them and some people don't. I love Pixar movies but I don't feel that's the ONLY way you can do an animated film. Likewise, I wouldn't want DW to be the only animated films out there.
You're going to continue to go in circles and annoy some other people unless you come to grips with the reality of this situation, face facts, and realize what I've said is how most animation fans and professionals perceive Katzenberg and DreamWorks

I'm not trying to "annoy" anyone by my opinions, it's just what I think. Like I've said before, I'm not trying to offend anyone. And maybe you're right, maybe animation fans and professionals aren't always turned on by DW films...that's their right. But there's plenty of regular people who like them....that's their right too. (Why do you think there's a DW fansite?)

And once again...I don't work for DW. And I'm not JK. I ask again, why would he pretend to be a GIRL?? :roll:

BTW I wouldn't join AN anyway...they're not accepting anyone now. Plus I'm pretty sure they want you to be a working artist.
I think Katzenberg's a smart guy; I just hope he soon sees that their losing there direction here, before they end up closing their whole animation division.

He would NOT let that happen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » March 3rd, 2005, 12:37 pm

Violet, you go right ahead an "annoy" whoever you want! I can think of plenty others on these boards (no names need be mentioned :wink:) who have a knack of "continuing to annoy" people :lol:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 3rd, 2005, 12:52 pm

Thanks AniMan. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2005, 1:21 pm

Predictable? Yes.

Annoying? No.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 19th, 2006, 4:27 pm

POST DELETED