Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Team
AV Team

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Post by Dan » January 7th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Apparently the original thread got absorbed into the PS2 thread, which is odd given that the game is coming out for PS3 and X-Box 360. *shrugs*

Any way, the third entry in the hyper fighting crossover series will hit shelves on February 15, 2011. It is being produced and directed by Ryota Niitsuma, who oversaw the successful Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars game.

Story Mode Plot (Hidden because of multiple videos embedded):
Doctor Doom has assembled the greatest villains of the Marvel Universe and has joined forces with Albert Wesker in order to unite their respective universes in an effort to conquer both. However, this course of action awakens a great and powerful threat that could potentially destroy both worlds. It is up to the heroes of the Marvel and Capcom universes to put a stop to this evil before it is too late.

Here's the roster to date (1/18/11):

Capcom
(Hidden because of multiple videos embedded)
- Akuma (Street Fighter)

- Albert Wesker (Resident Evil)

- Amaterasu (Okami)

- Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)

- Chris Redfield (Resident Evil)

- Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

- Crimson Viper (Street Fighter)

- Dante (Devil May Cry)

- Felicia (Darkstalkers)

- Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
(Available as a DLC)

- Mike Haggar (Final Fight)

- Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)

- Nathan Spencer (Bionic Commando)

- Ryu (Street Fighter)

- Trish (Devil May Cry)

- Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends)

- Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)

- Zero (Mega Man X)
Marvel
(Hidden because of multiple videos embedded)
- Captain America

- Deadpool

- Doctor Doom

- Dormammu

- Hulk

- Iron Man

- Magneto

- M.O.D.O.K.

- Phoenix

- She-Hulk

- Shuma-Gorath
(Available as a DLC)

- Spider-Man

- Storm

- Super Skrull

- Taskmaster

- Thor

- Wolverine

- X-23

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 21st, 2011, 6:20 pm

This game has a LOT of problems...!

It's easily the most broken fighting game Capcom has released in a LONG TIME...
I think you'd have to go back to the arcade version of Street Fighter: The Movie (arcade game) to find a Capcom brawler as lousy as this one is in many respects.

I'm saying this because I own MvC3, too. I got the Collector's Edition (PS3) which thankfully was only $10 more than the regular edition!

So much character imbalance... Ridiculous hits for certain characters... The Hyper System allows for so much abuse in gameplay it's ridiculous. This game should be barred from tournaments! The worst ending character boss in a LONG time... and ridiculously bad button lag for switching characters. I kind of wonder WHY the control scheme was changed from Marvel Vs Capcom 2... It was a lot better AND you switched characters automatically! Putting the call-up/character assist on the same buttons as the character switch was one of the worst ideas implemented in this game.

Of course, people will play the game just because it features Marvel characters. They'll ignore the flawed game rules and lousy control scheme. Mortal Kombat has shown with a gimmick (fatalities) that people will ignore lousy game design and equally poor control response/lag for nearly 20 years now!

Now, on to what Capcom DID right...
The rendering engine for SF IV is put to really good use here. The character models are very good with the emphasis more on capturing the intent of designs rather than reality which is a bad way to go with most videogames IMHO. The Darkstalkers characters in particular translated very well to this game. There is no excuse for Capcom not to do a Darkstalkers IV now!
As for the rest of the characters, yes they all look fine and animate very well.

I hope this is only a blip for Capcom. They really should have stuck to the control scheme and rules of MvC2 instead of trying to reinvent the series. Many hardcore fighting fans and casual players have already returned their copies of the game for store credit around the US.

Again, I'm still looking forward to Darkstalkers IV and the eventual release of SF IV: Arcade Edition within the next 2 years... Still plenty of time for Capcom to redeem itself and show it can still design and program games well.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Post by Dan » March 27th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Well, I wouldn't say there's a big character imbalance as there is large sense of diversity. Just because some characters feel stronger doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna win out all the time with them. Some people can take what others would consider weak characters and knock them silly with them (I actually experienced that a week ago). It's generally about figuring which method of fighting works best for you and seeing if it matches up with others (online offering leagues of opportunties to do that along with Shadow Mode).

I do agree that tagging is a problem as you have to hold the button down and waiting two-three seconds before help jumps in. You run the risk of getting wailed on and you have to be sure you're not being knocked silly or already used an assistant immediately before.

The Hyper System doesn't necessarily allow for abuse as you think. It can be as much of a hinderance as it is as game changer or finisher, largely based on who you are fighting against and how good they at playing the game. Some really good players rarely use the Hyper System, and will instead take you out with their vast knowledge of chain combos, sometimes baiting players to waste their Hypers in trying to escape the onslaught they're facing.

Galactus as the final boss... I think it depends on difficulty and what character you are using. Not saying he's the best, but he's not necessarily the worst either.

Personally, it's an excellent fighter. I honestly don't see any of the arguments for it being broken when often times skill and a good sense of how to best approach the fight makes this a favorite world-wide. And I'm saying this as someone who is generally a button-masher at best.

But then that's probably just me.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 28th, 2011, 11:35 pm

There are problems when on the fighting game boards when people are complaining about the system.

There's definitely a controller input situation with this game... I've played it enough to notice the problems with tagging out characters. It's a lag that frankly is a huge pain. That was never the case with the other Capcom "Vs" games I've played... and I've played and still own most of them.

Nothing wrong with the graphics system.

The game is a hit in North America but did nothing in Japan. For that matter, SFIV and SSFIV didn't sell very well, either, in Japan. The next possible game revival (besides the planned SF/Tekken crossovers) is DarkStalkers but that series was a lot more popular in Japan than it ever was in the US.

There is an online petition to get DarkStalkers IV made but it's kind of screwy. Capcom initially said they would do the game if they got 100,0000 signatures but now are saying at least 500,000. By that measure, SFIV wouldn't have been made! SFIV got around 100,000 signatures on its Facebook page (now up to 500,000+) prior to the game being released, and has sold a lot more than 500,000 copies on PS3 and XBox 360.