The Phantom Tollbooth on DVD!

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Phantom Tollbooth on DVD!

Post by CyberFox » January 23rd, 2011, 3:56 am

Late last year, The Warner Archive Collection released "The Phantom Tollbooth" on DVD

I find it strange that the public attention towards this release is minimal or hush hush despite the cult classic status the film was given

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 23rd, 2011, 12:30 pm

It was mentioned in our Warner Archive thread, but got little comment. I have a copy already (on laserdisc), but haven't watched it in years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » January 23rd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Think most people are either unaware that the Archive exists, unless they're archivists like us who have pretty much accepted that if Warner releases anything vintage on DVD nowadays, it's going to be for the Archive. :|
The prevailing mindset in which case is "Oh well, at least it's out", and those who want to buy it, do. (Which reminds me, I still haven't gotten around to getting that copy of Legend of the Superheroes, with so many Blu-ray titles in the way first.)

Me, I'm not a fan of artsy-talky-precious 70's-MGM Chuck, so I didn't, but I respect it enough not to begrudge it to others.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2011, 3:18 pm

We did actually get this in for review and I'm trying to work my way up to getting back into the swing of things, but going through it over the Christmas break, I was reminded what a happy hippy era film and talky-talky to the point of boredom it was, even if its being very clever with wordplay, numbers and songs. But it's a slog to sit through again now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 25th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I think The Phantom Tollbooth is the book I loved as a kid. I always get the title confused with another book - A Wrinkle In Time, I think

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Phantom Tollbooth on DVD!

Post by Whippet Angel » January 25th, 2011, 10:02 pm

I also loved that book as a kid. I remember seeing the film on cartoon network sometime back in the 90's, and my reaction was "Eh...".

I'm surprised that there still hasn't been a full live-action adaptation after all these years.