Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
GeorgeC

Spider-Man Musical set for 2010 debut...

Post by GeorgeC » February 24th, 2009, 5:39 pm

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... b-18-2010/

Man, is THIS a BAD idea!

(Well, to be honest, I DID like the soundtrack for the Superman musical and I'm generally not a big musical fan, period. Mary Poppins was okay, bits and pieces of The Sound of Music are fine, and I DO have the original cast recording of Miss Saigon, but otherwise the only musicals I can sit through at the Disney Classics Walt Disney produced and the Menken/Ashman Trilogy.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Agreed, though I don't know what's worse, this or Shrek the Musical...

Mary Poppins, from what I've heard, is horrid. And the bits I've actually seen don't help it very much.

If nothing else, hopefully this isn't as bad as Spidy 3. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Remember that Meat Loaf was due to pen songs for a Batman musical in the late 1990s.

If this is a hit, look for that to make a comeback... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 26th, 2009, 9:51 am

The Shrek musical is actually funny,someone did made a The Lion,The Witch And The Wardrobe musical over here because of the movie (We have lots of cheap musicals),and there wasn't Spider-Man Rocks or something like that?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 2nd, 2009, 12:18 pm

I actually kinda like the idea for this on paper. It may turn out to be awful, but it at least sounds like a pretty cool idea.
Last edited by Dacey on March 2nd, 2009, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 2nd, 2009, 1:08 pm

I may turn out to be awful
You should fix that :).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 2nd, 2009, 1:15 pm

Lol! Just did that. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

Post by Dan » March 2nd, 2011, 11:45 pm

On Tuesday, The Late Show with David Letterman previewed a musical performance from the "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" Broadway show that, for now, is schedule to finally open on March 15. Despite numerous delays and production mishaps, the previews for the show have been sell-outs. It is directed by Julie Taymor (The Lion King on Broadway) with music and songs by U2's Bono and The Edge.

The song is called "Rise Above" and appears to be the primary number from the show.

Performers in order of appearance:
Reeve Carney - Peter Parker/Spider-Man
TV Carpio - Arachne
Jennifer Damiano - Mary Jane Watson

Last edited by Dan on March 3rd, 2011, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2011, 5:36 am

Well, that was...awful?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 3rd, 2011, 1:18 pm

Hear the thing's already having enough trouble opening, with the unions complaining about a few injuries already during rehearsal--
Think the word of advice here is, "Be glad you're not the Lord of the Rings musical" :eek:

(And ISTR the 80's-NBC Dave was never this charitable when the hype for the first Batman movie was coming out...
Was he as much of an a-hat when they first announced the Spiderman musical?)
Last edited by EricJ on March 3rd, 2011, 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

Post by Dan » March 3rd, 2011, 7:07 pm

As noted, the official opening has been delayed numerous times because of the production problems they've been having. Key to these are obviously the strength of the harnesses as well as the second act leaving some confused. Never the less, all of the preview showings have been sell-outs and when the show finally has its official open (still on course for March 15) they're looking at big box-office numbers.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 3rd, 2011, 9:02 pm

Well...

Between some lackluster reviews, castmembers nearly getting killed, and a hospitalized stuntman or two, this Broadway musical has a fightiing chance...! :?:

Oh, we're talking about that lame-sounding Spider-Man show with music by "The Edge" and Bono....

"The Edge" (his pseudonym) is the worst souding show-biz name apart from McG.

I guess all the cool names have been taken.

(Sting sounds better but remember his real name is Gordon. Ooooh! That's a tough-sounding real name for a rocker! :lol: )

Take that as you will.

Bono is so full of himself that I just....! I'm not going there.

As for the rest of this show, someone's going to get really hurt if not killed during what I'm sure will be a very brief Broadway run unless a miracle happens.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 4th, 2011, 3:18 am

(And since this thread was BORN bewilderingly off-topic, can't hurt to bump it with: )

I still confess to taking an accident-viewing peek at the sad state to which Mad Magazine has fallen these days (from its once mighty voice of the Nixon-Watergate 70's, to a headless slacker clone of Cracked.com :( )--
But you have to love the humor piece that showed up in this month's issue:
"Similarities and Differences Between the Spiderman Musical and the current Afghan War:
Similarities:
- Millions of dollars blindly poured into a losing battle
- Casualties mounting daily
- Symbolic act of American hubris
- Leadership replaced during a mismanaged campaign
- Waged mostly by disillusioned twenty-somethings
- No exit strategy seen in sight
- Bono saddened by the whole thing
Differences:
- Americans paying close attention to the debacle: Spiderman Musical
- Will still be around in 2013: Afghan War
:D

GeorgeC

Re:

Post by GeorgeC » May 7th, 2011, 4:11 am

Ben wrote:Well, that was...awful?
Doesn't even matter if the music's bad (although if it is would not be surprising given the egos involved).

This musical is dead if they don't get it off the ground in the next few months and have performances of an actual finished, refined product instead of more dress rehearsals. Right now, this show is only losing money.

There is just so much bad news written all over it that's it's proverbially cursed.

To think that the laugh and jeers aimed at this production when it was first announced were just the beginning of the problems...!

Thankfully, nobody's been killed despite the close calls.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 7th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Although I don't have, ahem, the inexplicable bloodlust that SOME posters here have :roll: , I like watching what comes out of it, the way we all cheered when Disney's "Tarzan" went down.

And while SM wasn't eligible for most of this year's Tony nominations, it's pretty well had a fork stuck in it, that will hopefully poke a few of the other "marketing" musicals.
New Yorkers like to think that they alone are the local experts in what Broadway shows are truly "about" (they did start out as local shows, you know, back in Ziegfeld's day...) even if a lot of boardroom marketing folks THINK they know.
Every few years, there's an industry backlash, when the locals like to "take back" their industry and kick out the rich city-slicker carpetbaggers: Like in '91, when they'd finally had enough of big-stage melodramatic London-import hoo-hah and gave Best Musical to "The Will Rogers Follies" rather than see it go to that Helicopter thing...Or when the gay-local "Avenue Q" was seen as the hometown thumbing of the nose to "Wicked"'s Universal, the Great & Powerful.

It takes one big flop to start another revolution, and we may be another symbolic backlash this year--
For '10-11, we had seven musicals based on movies (if you count SM), and only TWO of them made it to Best Musical nomination. When it's down either Another Southern-Black musical or the One By the South Park Guys, the big studio guys are starting to become less popular.