Batman: A Death in the Family

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2005, 7:18 pm

I haven't read it, but my comic teachers (just took a comic book class 'cause one of the teachers is my tutor) showed our class a fascinating documentary on the history of comic book heroes (form Super-Man to Spawn!) that included a lot about it. Really interesting...I think it was called, "Super Heroes Unmasked" or something.
There's a comic book class in your school??

That....is....awesome. Man, you are so lucky. :D

One thing I noticed about B:ADITF was that every part had a description of what had gone before in order to "update" readers on what's been happening. I forgot how comics used to do that.

I think that's so awesome. X-Men comics would NEVER do that. No, they make you shell your money out on every issue just to know what the heck is going on! (if you don't you're lost) That's why I gave up on them. They re-hash the same exact stories again and again as well, and are extremely preachy. Batman has an edge and is way cooler. Plus some years back X-Men basically just made every issue in anime style. I don't strictly HATE anime style, but I don't love it either.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 3rd, 2005, 8:54 pm

I never liked the fact that the original Robin became Nightwing in the first place and felt that some kind of accomodation could have been made to keep Dick Grayson as Robin (in a modified outfit like Tim Drake's) and yet advance the character WITHOUT completely cutting off all his ties to Batman.

Isn't that what they did with "The New Batman Adventures" back in 1997? I can't wait for that to come out on DVD. (B:TAS Volume 4)

They had Batman, Batgirl, Nightwing, (Dick Grayson) and Robin. (Tim Drake)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 8th, 2005, 7:58 pm

ShyViolet wrote: There's a comic book class in your school??

That....is....awesome. Man, you are so lucky. :D
That WOULD be awsome. But it was actually a free class my tutor invited me to attend in a library...it's basically a bunch of teenagers making comics and then getting them published in a comic book. The only art class in my (new!) school is studio-in-art, which I'm still kicking myself over not taking. :o

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2005, 9:00 pm

Maybe you can take it next year.

I took Cartooning in High School but we learned very little about comics or comic art. It was just "OK do these projects". I did OK though. All we really learned was how to draw "Egg people" or people shaped like eggs with cartoony features, plus the "How are you feeling today?" thing where you draw like 25 circles with differnet emotions. Then we had to come up with six of our own one-panel cartoons via Gary Larson's the Far Side. That was the best part.

There was this one kid who was obviously a seasoned artist but he did like no work. The first five minutes he'd draw something and then the rest of the period he'd just read comics.... :x I'm pretty sure he failed or was close to failing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 9th, 2005, 2:46 pm

I wouldn't count on that. Cartooning tends to be very 'looked-down' on in my schools. Or at least, that's the feeling I get from it. Everyone always acts like cartooning isn't real art, and that's always bugged me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2005, 4:29 pm

That's a shame, and real sad too. Cartooning is one difficult thing to do which is why it's so hard to get into the business of drawing professionally.
Sometimes I still wished I went to art college, but oh well.

Cartooning and animation is definetely art! :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 28th, 2006, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 16th, 2005, 7:19 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Cartooning and animation is definetely art! :wink:
Word. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2006, 2:47 pm

I know this topic is quite old but the other day I read a graphic novel in Barnes and Noble that was all about Robin/Jason Todd being brought back from the dead and becoming Batman's enemy. (because Batman never avenged his death by killing the Joker.)

So I guess the fans didn't really kill him after all.... :wink:

I also read part of another graphic novel that had stories by Alan Moore such as the Killing Joke. It was very cool. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 28th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Hey, and ironically enough - I taking that comic class I mentioned in two or three weeks again. Nice timing! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Great! :) I hope you enjoy it.