Art Blog

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Art Blog

Post by Macaluso » November 26th, 2012, 1:42 am

I created an art blog that I'll be updating frequently. If any of you are interested, here is a link!

http://macalusoart.wordpress.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Art Blog

Post by Meg » February 28th, 2013, 11:12 am

Nice stuff Mac :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 26th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Bumping this thread because I created a facebook page. It would be great if you could pass it around too, help me get an audience/likes

http://www.facebook.com/MacalusoIllustrations

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 16th, 2022, 7:32 pm

At the urging of a longtime co-worker, I've been participating in 'Inktober' for the first time, on Instagram.

As a matter of fact (fwiw), this is the first time I've posted my drawings online, under my own name! :o

I've kinda been treating the prompts as a 'cartoon character Rorschach test'. :lol: Some have been easier to come up with than others.

I'm doing these entirely by hand, with pen & ink .. on the day of the prompt. That has meant a few cases in which I don't post until ~11PM (Pacific Time), on some days. But -- so far -- I haven't 'missed' a day.

These aren't really 'polished' drawings, though .. I've been limiting myself to around an hour or so, for each drawing .. and I've generally been going with my first or second pencil sketch -- completing it in ink --regardless of irregularities in scale, anatomy, etc. As long as it resembles the character's original design, I've been content to post it. 8)

I've reached the halfway point, today .. just two more weeks to go ..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 16th, 2022, 7:50 pm

Some nice stuff there Droo! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 16th, 2022, 8:55 pm

Lovely!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 16th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Nice! It's great to see these, so thanks for sharing. You've definitely captured some Timm with your Harley. Lucy really looks pugnacious! :) Kiki is adorable. Saavik!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 17th, 2022, 2:47 am

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I definitely plan to complete the 31 days of 'pen & ink' drawings for Inktober .. after that, I may start posting some CG sculpts or 3D model work .. not sure yet, though; but putting even this stuff out there online is a big step, for me. :oops:

I was given some (in retrospect, very terrible) advice, early in my career: that studios preferred to hire artists who didn't post their work online. It actually might've maybe been the case, in the 1990s .. but it certainly isn't so, anymore. :|

My lack of any online 'presence' as an artist proved to be a major obstacle in my most recent job searches. Now that I'm working steadily again (and on something some of you may actually one day hear of!), I'll be using my free time to change that, for myself.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2022, 3:11 am

Very similar experience here too Droo. For years I didn’t have anything online (also because a lot of my work was luckily word of mouth or repeat collaborators), but more and more I think I should maybe have a reel or some examples of things on a "personal" webpage. That said (and while I have been involved in things that many will have been aware of), things are looking fairly good for a majorish project next year that I should be getting my name on in an above the line capacity (finally!) instead of being buried in other departments or, indeed, not being credited at all for work I had essentially done "for" others, so I’m now not sure it would be worth the time, effort and expense of getting transfers and putting it all together, as — hopefully — things will take off more from there…

But I certainly do agree there was a time when the "powers that be" liked to keep tech talent, er, "undiscovered", so that they could somewhat keep tabs and use as and when required. I’m not sure when that changed, but I was advised to get at least my credits up online a few years back, which I do know were checked by people when I was in talks for other things.

I agree with Rand about your capturing some Timm…in fact your style, or at least as expressed in these, reminds me very much of the in-house Warners "style" of the 1990s, especially in their caricatures, and the interpretations of the prompts are fun! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 1st, 2022, 2:09 am

I actually managed to complete my 31 'Inktober' drawings, and got each one posted on the date for which it was drawn (there were a few that got posted in the final minutes -- even seconds! -- before midnight .. but I never did 'miss' a day). 8)

There were definitely some that (I felt) fell a bit short of what I'd wanted to do .. and there's tiny 'nitpicky' problems I have with pretty much every single one of 'em .. but -- overall -- I'm happy with how they'd turned out. :)

The winner in 'likes' (by a large margin) was #28: Camping .. I guess there's still a bunch of Total Drama fans, out there. :o

Second place was definitely a surprise, though; #20: Bluff .. which featured Angel & Cindy from Rock & Rule. :shock: who knew..?!

As I said above .. I'm not sure what exactly I'll do with my Instagram account, going forward .. I'll try to post some new art there -- 2D and 3D -- at least once (perhaps twice) per week .. definitely not daily, though; one solid month of that was slightly 'draining'. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2022, 4:23 am

Well done on the achievement…and making it through! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2022, 2:31 pm

It was fun following along! Love your style.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 17th, 2023, 3:09 am

I've just passed the halfway mark of my second round of Inktober drawings, on Instagram ..

basically, I picked-up where last year left off, with the same theme & format; interpreting each prompt from the 'official' Inktober list by drawing a cartoon character which it brings to mind. :)

I've definitely had fun, so far .. but I'm also a bit busier than I was at this time, last year .. so, I've had to work on each drawing a bit at a time, as I get a chance, throughout a day .. rather than mostly all within a single 1-2 hour drawing session.

I did miss the posting deadline for last Friday .. but I chalked that up to it being Friday the 13th. :twisted: