Ten Commandments: The Musical

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Team
AV Team

Ten Commandments: The Musical

Post by Dan » May 3rd, 2014, 10:29 am

Many, many moons ago, we were trying to figure out if there was a stage performance we'd like to see for my birthday. I looked around and "Ten Commandments: The Musical" caught my eye. I eventually looked it up and was quite surprised to see that Val Kilmer was in the show playing Moses. This obviously brought to mind his voicing Moses in The Prince of Egypt, but here he would actually be singing for a change. Curiosity got the better of us and we decided to go see it.

I'll say this. While it wasn't the most spectacular show I've ever seen, I'm glad I got to see it live. It was interesting in a positive way and Kilmer did fine (though he was upstaged by his co-stars). I had almost forgotten about the show until a few years later a DVD of the show was released. Again, I was taken by surprise. The DVD incorporated a whole lot of post-production special effects that were really cheesy at times, but I nonetheless chuckled at the memories of the show.

A difference was that the performance we saw live, the original actor for Joshua couldn't appear for some reason and the understudy stepped in. The DVD featured the original actor and I still maintain that I liked the understudy a little bit better. It was only just a few months ago now that I took a better look at the original actor and realized who it was. A pre-American Idol Adam Lambert. Trippy.

Clips from the DVD have been posted on YouTube (of course) so any one curious to see Kilmer play Moses live alongside Lambert can check this one out.

Buzz Bumble

Re: Ten Commandments: The Musical

Post by Buzz Bumble » May 3rd, 2014, 6:31 pm

"Thou shalt not sing out of Tu-UnE." ;)