New Marvel "Thor" comic book

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
Buzz Bumble

New Marvel "Thor" comic book

Post by Buzz Bumble » July 16th, 2014, 2:48 am

Geez, the lazy "reboot" hack generation just get sillier and sillier. Now Thor, God of Thunder, is female. :(

This is from SuperHeroHype.com ...
Marvel Comics Announces New Thor Series with Female God of Thunder
Marvel Comics has revealed this morning that come this October, Thor will no longer be worthy to wield the power of Mjölnir, and instead an all new female Thor will pick up the hammer and take his place as the God of Thunder. The new series, simply titled Thor, will be written by Jason Aaron (Thor: God of Thunder, Original Sin) with art from Russell Dauterman (Cyclops).

“The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it’s time to update that inscription,” Marvel editor Wil Moss said in a statement. “The new Thor continues Marvel’s proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute – she’s now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR,” Aaron said. “This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

Check out the cover art and images of the character below. Will you be picking up Thor #1 this fall?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Marvel "Thor" comic book

Post by droosan » July 16th, 2014, 4:00 am

.. is this really any sillier than a 'worthy' extraterrestrial becoming Thor -- or having Thor himself, enchanted into a frog by Loki, still able to wield his powers in frog form..?

Those happened back when I was a teenager .. and -- while there was much actual 'silliness' on a surface level -- both of these storylines were AWESOME, and are now widely looked-back-upon as 'classic' moments in the series.

That's not to say that this current gimmick will see the same result .. just that: at the very least, conclusions about a female Thor are perhaps best drawn after actually reading the story. :mrgreen:

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » July 16th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Those are silly ideas, but at least they were temporary (as far as I know). This latest idiocy is permanent ... or as permanent as any comic book is before yet another silly "reboot" comes along, and just more proof that almost the entire entertainment industry has completely lost the ability to come up with good or senisible new ideas. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 16th, 2014, 5:12 pm

C'mon, it's bad enough every time DC makes a big press statement about some summer or limited-issue storyline stunt, and then all the mainstream folk think "OMG, they're changing the character forever! :shock: "
(There's still some folks out there who never found out that Superman came back to life again.)

Although I suspect this one was cashing in on various original female-Thor cosplay at the SDCC, and "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".
Given the other attempts to bring the comics in line with the MCU (eg. drawing Tony Stark and Loki to now look like Robert Downey and Tom Hiddleston), I suspect Disney will have a little input about the storyline being permanent...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 16th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Granted, Buzz Bumble -- the frog storyline was a 3-issue arc, but the 'Beta Ray Bill-as-Thor' story lasted nearly a full year .. and BRB proved to be so popular with readers that he was given an enchanted hammer of his own, and was made a separate 'permanent' character in his own right.

Which -- despite the statements by the Marvel editor in your initial post -- I fully expect to be the eventual fate of this female incarnation of Thor.

As EricJ has just pointed out: by the time Marvel Studios is set to release their next live-action Thor sequel (starring Chris Hemsworth), the comic book will almost certainly restore the character to his traditional form.

In the meantime -- why begrudge the comics editors the chance to try something new and different with an 'established' character..? After 52 years, it gets a bit tougher to find something you haven't done before. :mrgreen:

Like I'd said, this is a gimmick -- and, like you'd said, this is hardly 'permanent'. Neither of those means it has to necessarily be 'bad'.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » July 16th, 2014, 6:41 pm

I read somewhere that the reason they were doing this was to "bring more girls and women to comic books." I would have thought - and my wife validated - that it would have brought more girls and women if Thor stayed the way he was ...!!

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » July 16th, 2014, 9:15 pm

The way they draw female characters is purely for 13 year old boys (either physical or mental age). They certainly aren't going to gain many female fans from this gender switch. Such ideas usually come from brainless people in management.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » August 9th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Chris Hemsworth mentioned how he felt about Thor becoming a woman in the comics during the PACKED Marvel Studios panel at Comic Con 2014. A glorious response, if you ask me. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by watson45 » October 9th, 2014, 7:42 am

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR,” Aaron said. “This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.” :lol: