Freaky Friday: The Musical

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Team
AV Team

Freaky Friday: The Musical

Post by Dan » March 7th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Not a hundred percent sure if this is front-page worthy, but Disney will be doing try-out runs of a stage musical adaptation to Freaky Friday. The first try-out will be in Washington DC in October at the MAX Theatre and the second will be over here in San Diego next February at the La Jolla Playhouse (where Hunchback had its San Diego run at).

What's known at the moment regarding the creative team is that it will include direction by La Jolla Playhouse Artistic Director Christopher Ashley, choreography by Sergio Trujillo, and the book is by Bridget Carpenter (who has done scripts for TV shows Parenthood and Friday Night Lights. The music and songs will be by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, best known for their Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winning work on Next to Normal and more recently the Idina Menzel starred If/Then.

Yorkey wasn't allowed to reveal the cast that participated in lab, but hinted that known Broadway names will be participating in the try-outs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Freaky Friday: The Musical

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Great. Now I have "I'd Like To Be You For A Day" on a loop in my head...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 8th, 2016, 12:23 pm

It was actually a book first. (Although you wouldn't know it from the Lindsay/Jamie Lee version.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Yep, a book I read as a kid (and not as good as the Jodie film). There were also a couple of sequels too, though not really tied into the first book (they kind of took their cue from that original movie).

I would guess this musical version will borrow more from the Lohan film, to take her hobby into account.