Betty Boop, HOOTERS girl!

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
GeorgeC

Betty Boop, HOOTERS girl!

Post by GeorgeC » September 1st, 2005, 1:32 pm

Ah, how the mighty have fallen.

This sad tidbit courtesy of Mark Evanier's POV: http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articl ... p0824.html

It's gotta by KFS's fault. They co-own the character copyright with Fleischer Studios (Richard Fleischer's company). I just can't imagine Fleischer signing off on this B.S. unless they're desperate to get the character attention.

Betty makes tons of money in memorabilia.

Now if only somebody would get off their duff and release the original theatrical shorts RESTORED without disappearing inklines on DVD ASAP!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2005, 2:48 pm

That's just saaaaaaaaaaaaad...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 2nd, 2005, 4:36 pm

That's so trashy. (Well I guess you can say she had it coming ever since she was the cigarette girl in Roger Rabbit, but...)

Betty Boop is the first licensed character to appear on Hooters merchandise, Frazier said. But perhaps not the last.

"There's a few out there," he said. "Hooters girls have an All-American, girl-next-door quality. I don't think that qualifies Popeye. He would probably go to Hooters."

This has got to be the dumbest statement ever. Hooter girls are the"girl-next-door"? I sure hope not.

And that last statement is so sexist it's not funny....so it's O.K. to show a classic female character in that light but not a male character even though technically he's the kind of person that would GO to Hooters?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 2nd, 2005, 10:34 pm

Hooters is stupid anyway. :x

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 7th, 2005, 9:51 pm

There was a really cool episode of South Park where they made fun of Hooters. (Butters falls for a Hooters girl.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Betty Boop, HOOTERS girl!

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 28th, 2007, 9:10 am

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.
I guess that this is what's happen when a character allways show her underwear and got kidnnapt every 5 seconds XD.
There's a DS game in which she is a waitress and serve people,it has any conection? XD.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 28th, 2007, 1:00 pm

I ignore the waitresses and go to Hooters for the food (and they do have good food).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 28th, 2007, 7:51 pm

I'm surprised the above link still works! But yeah, that is sad...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 29th, 2007, 12:28 am

Betty Boop has always been, first and foremost, a 'sexy' cartoon character. I honestly don't see how this is much different from, say, the licensed merchandise that depicts her in skimpy bathing suits (or in the 'nude', in a bathtub), as a 'biker' chick, belly-dancer, or any number of other tittilating images.

Even back in the 1920's/30's, she was as sexy as the censors would allow her to be. Sometimes sexier! In fact, the popularity of her cartoon series waned fairly quickly when the Hayes code forced the Fleischer studio to tame down this aspect of her character.

There are many female animated characters for whom the role of 'Hooters Girl' would seem worse than inappropriate .. Betty Boop is not one of those. I wouldn't say I'm 'happy' to see this happen for her .. but I am certainly far from 'outraged'.

---------------

Aren't the Popeye characters already licensed to the 'Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits' fast-food chain ..?

---------------

and eddievalient .. I dunno about the Hooters chain as a whole, but the one in Burbank serves horrible food. I went there once, for a co-worker's 'birthday lunch'; and actually had to go home early that afternoon, since the food 'disagreed' with me so badly. That was enough to ensure I'd never go to a Hooters again. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 29th, 2007, 11:50 am

Yeah,Betty Boop is a character who allways show her underwear somehow and get kidnnapt\tied up,i saw wallpaper of her take care of a cat as a nurse with the title "Hot Nurse".
Why are they franchise her for little girls if she's the "simble of sex"?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 29th, 2007, 3:44 pm

droosan wrote:Betty Boop has always been, first and foremost, a 'sexy' cartoon character. I honestly don't see how this is much different from, say, the licensed merchandise that depicts her in skimpy bathing suits (or in the 'nude', in a bathtub), as a 'biker' chick, belly-dancer, or any number of other tittilating images.
Betty, unfortunately, is in that small collection of characters alongside Woody Woodpecker and Mighty Mouse, where every image-rights holder wants to exploit the pop-culture value, but nobody ever actually saw the cartoons....Which lets them get away with anything. :roll:

She never got the 70's local-station afterschool exposure that Popeye got, and don't think it was until her Popeye crossover toon that I'd actually SEEN Betty in action apart from a cutesy pop-culture T-shirt.