40th birthday of the mouse - no, not that one!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

40th birthday of the mouse - no, not that one!

Post by James » December 9th, 2008, 12:44 pm

The computer mouse is 40 years old! Here's a cool video of the very first pubic demo of the device!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7768481.stm

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 11th, 2008, 12:46 am

The funny thing thing is that I've used computers for over a quarter-century now.

I have by far -- with the exception of probably word processing -- more experience than other members of my family. I started first with an Atari 800, then moved on to a black & white Mac Classic, then onto a G3 Minitower which was later upgraded to G4 500 MHz, and now I'm using a reconditioned silver G4 1.5GHz machine.

It wasn't until the early 1990s after I got my first Mac that I actually regularly used a mouse! I had to memorize all those dumb line commands for the Atari 800. I know I'd never go back to that and can't even think of using an OS that doesn't have a GUI.

I've finally caught up again to the mouse, generation 3. I have a 3-button optical mouse which is a novelty to me on the Mac. Mouse makers finally caught up on the Mac and allow you to program more than one button to use on the darn machine! The one-button mouse is one of those inexplicable Apple-style decisions that just never made sense to me...!