Do you think this could be real?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2007, 8:18 am

I love the line in Contact... "if there isn't life out there, it's an awful waste of Space".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 28th, 2007, 6:37 am

Didn't they find remnants of life (living cells or something) on Mars and Jupiter some years ago?

When they found something on Mars, Clinton made a speech--that's what they used for Contact! :) (CGI'd him into the film, like Nixon and Forrest Gump--Bob Z of course. :wink:)

I loved Contact, it seemed so real, really seemed like WHAT WOULD REALLY HAPPEN if something like that went down. Very, very intelligent film.

The only thing that was kind of a let down was

*SPOILER*
her dad appearing at the end (or her dad's form)....somehow I expected more after all that build-up....still, I loved that last bit about how there was 19 hours worth of recorded static....:) Also it made so much sense that other beings would communicate in math/cryptology....the truly "universal" language! :P

It made sense, but...I just wish we'd learned a bit more about WHAT THE SIGNAL REALLY WAS, and WHO THOSE GUYS WERE. (aliens) and maybe hinted that they'd sent stuff to earth before but people just didn't pick up on it or were able to comprehend it....
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 28th, 2007, 7:35 am

Have you read the book?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 28th, 2007, 7:53 am

No....it's Isac Asimov right?

I'll get around to it soon....:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 29th, 2007, 9:05 am

Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan).

It's the first of a series, more commonly known as John Carter Of Mars, which follows the title hero through his adventures on the red planet.

The arc of the series is a bit HG Wells/Jules Verne coupled with Planet Of The Apes. I've only read a few, but it's a comprehensive series that could be really cool on film.