Favorite voice actors

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 8th, 2006, 6:43 pm

My favourite voice actor would be Wallace Shawn. His performances as Mr Humph and Rex. I just love Rex. Such a very screechy voice. Distinctive.

Yeah A Bug's Life is always left out. Makes me sad.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 9th, 2006, 9:41 am

And to tie it all back to voice actors in a roundabout way, I just watched A Bug's Life again for the first time in a month or two, and realzed just how freaky Flik's laugh is.
Flik is my favorite Pixar character...ever. I LOOOVE his voice.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2006, 5:57 pm

Wallace Shawn is good, but he only plays Wallace Shawn!

To answer an earlier question...Kurt Russell was the adult Copper in "The Fox And The Hound".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 3rd, 2006, 1:28 pm

Sorry to bump an old topic, and pretty much give praise to someone that I allready gave praise to, but I have to post about Billy West some more.

I've been watching lots of Futurama lately, especially since Adult Swim now had a full HOUR of it a night, which is just awesome. He does the voice of Fry, Zoidburg, and Farnsworth, and a slew of other random characters. I'm honestly surprised at the lack of mentioning of him here. He's very talanted, and you can't forget what was probably one of his biggest roles: Ren & Stimpy.

I just learned that the voice of the "Happy happy joy joy" song is also Billy West, which threw me for a loop.

I love Billy West and I can't wait until 2008 when the new season of Futurama starts up again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » October 3rd, 2006, 9:23 am

Tim Allen, Voice of Buzz Lightyear
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2006, 2:10 pm

Well, Tim isn't really a voice actor in the sense that we are discussing. He's a movie actor who did an animated voice because he's famous.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 3rd, 2006, 2:31 pm

Actually one of my fave voice actors is Matthew Valencia. He played Robin/Tim Drake on Batman: The New Adventures. Tim Drake is just so cute. :wink:

I also like Terry's character in Batman Beyond (I think William Friedkin from Boy Meets World and yes, Reboot! did his voice.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 4th, 2006, 12:53 am

Would you guys consider John Goodman to be a voice actor? Maybe originally they picked him for his 'big name' value, or...something, but he's done three major roles in animation that I know of, so far: Monsters Inc, Emperor's New Groove, Father of the Pride. (all very different from each other BTW, unlike with that Genie guy)

He's practically a "voice over artist" himself. And I don't remember him doing much else these last few years, either. I think he made "crossover" the cartoon world! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2006, 9:26 am

Even way back before those movies, Goodman has been voicing characters ("We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story" for one), but I wouldn't call him a "voice artist" because he's essentially an actor who has moved into voices.

Also, when doing a voice, he is essentially pulling off a "John Goodman voice" performance in every role, unlike true vocal actors like Corey Burton or Billy West. Plus, Goodman continues to act in live-action films regularly.

Goodman certainly has racked up a number of other recent notches in his voice resume and he's not afraid to stoop to the DTV level...there's also recently been The Jungle Book 2, the Clifford Movie, and Kronk's New Groove, while he plays opposite Jerry Seinfeld in his upcoming Bee Movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2006, 1:24 am

Oh yeah, I forgot all about We're Back and Jungle Book 2. Very cool that he's in Bee Movie though.

Some people kind of consider John Ratzenberger to be voice actor, but I DEFINTELY DO NOT. He plays the SAME role every time, and everyone knows that he was on Cheers. But he gets all this credit from Pixar fans even though he's really doing very little work, especially compared to others, some of whom may be "big stars" but are putting a big effort to their role and more so than just saying "I'm the Underminer!" or "Bob's got relatives in Sydeney, don't ya Bob?" :roll:

Ex: Val Kilmer put in a HUGE amount of time into playing Moses, and sometimes it was struggle for him. Ditto Ralph Fiennes (who, BTW was in the Wallace and Gromit movie) But they both did an excellent job playing real characters, not one-note, insider-type-orientated gimmicks.

I don't mean to be harsh, but that's how I feel. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 5th, 2006, 2:04 am

ShyViolet wrote:Actually one of my fave voice actors is Matthew Valencia. He played Robin/Tim Drake on Batman: The New Adventures. Tim Drake is just so cute. :wink:
I just have to agree! Mathew Valencia was very good at Robin, and I really liked the way he delivered it.
ShyViolet wrote:
I also like Terry's character in Batman Beyond (I think William Friedkin from Boy Meets World and yes, Reboot! did his voice.)
Yes he is from "Boys Meet World" and the voice of Ron from "Kim Possible" I think his last name is Friedel. And I really like his voices, each good and well portrayed.

And since this is the place to offer our own favorite voice actor, I say Veronica Taylor! She was the lead voices for "Pokemon", and I'm really going to miss her Ash and May voices. She made both very different that you couldn't here a resemblance, which is very talented.

Sadly she won't be doing the voices anymore. But I doubt anybody here is a Pokemon fan, and knows what I'm talking about ^^o

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2006, 2:41 am

I just have to agree! Mathew Valencia was very good at Robin, and I really liked the way he delivered it.
Oh yeah, same here. I wish he'd been included more in BB: Return of the Joker, although the scenes with the younger Tim were so disturbing that I guess they wanted to limit it as much as possible.

Also, you know in the parts with "Little Jay" in Arkham? That wasn't even Matthew! :( It was B: TAS and BB voice director Andrea Romano doing the giggling, then crying, as Tim. Bruce Timm said so on the commentary track, that supposadely Matthew's laughing wasn't "maniacal" enough for them. I really wish they'd used him because that sounded NOTHING like Robin, even though I know he was supposadly brainwashed.

I love the film but it would have been better with more Matt. :wink: :)

Yes he is from "Boys Meet World" and the voice of Ron from "Kim Possible" I think his last name is Friedel.
I've never seen Kim Possible but I did used to watch Boy Meets World. I watched it when it first came on ABC (pre-Disney ABC), not the Disney channel.

It was a good show at first, and Will was really funny. (way more than Ben Savage IMO) I also liked Topanga (when she was still smart and weird, not a blonde ditz) Ryder Strong (Sean), was a good actor too. But then they made the show over into "Boy meets 9021" and then when he goes to college and High School.... :roll:

And one more thing: I can accept Mr. Feeney possibly switching to the same High School he goes to, but College?? What is with this man?? He lives next door to the kid his whole life and now he's following him to college? Sounds like he's got issues to me. :wink: :roll:

I'm glad Will left for the greener pastures of Batman Beyond..... :) :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 5th, 2006, 3:52 am

Oh ShyViolet what a Batman fan you are :). I also remember hearing that in the BB: Return of The Joker commentary, it was very imformative. I also thought it was cool that Harley Quan didn't die, and they let us know at the end. No Batman show is the same without her, and I'm happy she survived. Her neices, who were voiced by Melissa Joan Hart lived up to her antics, and Melissa is somewhat a good voice actor. :P

Though she can't really change her voice, but ah well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2006, 4:14 am

Oh ShyViolet what a Batman fan you are .

Thanks. I don't know all that much but I love the animated series and some of the comics. :wink:

I actually wanted Harley to die and thought she totally deserved it. She completely went along with the Joker even though she MUST have known that it was wrong---how could she NOT? She's not half as crazy as the Joker, who of course should be severely punished for what he did (his death by the spear gun was nothing compared to what he should have received)--but at least HE could claim insanity. But Harley--what's her excuse?
I really wish that the ending with her as the Deeds' grandmother would be cut. She was supposed to die, then Paul Dini put the scene at the end in because he just couldn't stand killing Harley off. :roll: :? Oh brother.

Her death underlines the fact that despite being a "funny, ditzy" character in the show, she crossed the line into pure and malevolent evil. It's the right dramatic payoff. When she comes back as the old lady, it's just "Oh, isn't Harley funny, what a great character" thing all over again.
A theme which, really, is supposed to be eliminated as soon as she and the Joker pull back the curtain.

Her neices, who were voiced by Melissa Joan Hart lived up to her antics, and Melissa is somewhat a good voice actor.
Yeah I loved DeeDee! :D They were so awesome and boy could they fight.

I think his last name is Friedel.
Yup, you're right! :) I think it was William Friedkin who directed the original Excorcist! (also The French Connection)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2006, 7:19 am

Yup. Friedkin is the director, not a voice artist. :)