Upcoming Movie Musical Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Upcoming Movie Musical Discussion

Post by Wonderlicious » November 21st, 2005, 8:23 am

I know that there are around a million "your thoughts on XYZ" threads in this forum at the moment, so I hope

Okay, within the next few weeks, we're going to see two new high profile musicals: Rent and The Producers. What's everybody's thoughts on these and the buzz about them?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2005, 9:58 am

Apart from the main song from Rent, I don't know or think much of the music.

The Producers, which I was lucking enough to catch on Broadway with Lane and Broderick, is absolutely hysterical and the film looks to be a spot on straight translation of the show, barring any numbers they cut out.

I don't think Rent will do that well - Coumbus is not a great director or even the right one for this material, while the opening date is, I think, going to kill it flat.

On the other hand, The Producers could suffer from being too "gay" for most audiences, though it could play to those strengths as well. I'm guessing on a sizable mid-hit for that, but it will be interesting to see if the US and UK main stage shows take a hit as the result of essentially providing an easier way to see it for the masses.

Good topic though. Borderline, but good. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 21st, 2005, 10:54 am

I can not WAIT for The Producers, because Nathan Lane and Broderick are AWESOME

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » November 21st, 2005, 11:19 am

Springtime for Hitler and Germany
Deutschland is happy and gay!
We're marching to a faster pace
Look out, here comes the master race!
Rhineland's a fine land once more!

Now you guys know what i want to watch! :lol: I think Producers will do well especially since we hadn't had "comedy musicals" Perhaps it will perform really well. When was the last time we have a comedy musical? Aladdin?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » November 21st, 2005, 11:27 am

Speaking as a musical nut who has performed in so many of these things that he must take off his shoes to count them, I am looking forward to both of them. While Seasons of Love is the hit from Rent the music is great throughout and the message is very powerful. The Producers is also always a great breath of fresh air on the scene as well. Unfortunately, I think neither will fly very high considering their stories, opening dates, and the general box office trend. Two good movies for musical lovers but no Chcago on our hands here. :D
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 21st, 2005, 12:03 pm

Not movie wise, but still musical wise... I really really really really really wanna see Avenue Q.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 22nd, 2005, 9:48 am

SPAMALOT!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2005, 10:33 am

I was six-people close to getting into Spamalot when I was in NYC in September, but it was sold out.

Ended up watching the terrible Brothers Grimm instead... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » November 22nd, 2005, 3:29 pm

Ben wrote:Ended up watching the terrible Brothers Grimm instead... :(
Was I really the only one who actually enjoyed this movie???
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 22nd, 2005, 3:42 pm

Brandon Neeld wrote:
Ben wrote:Ended up watching the terrible Brothers Grimm instead... :(
Was I really the only one who actually enjoyed this movie???
I liked it. :)
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2005, 4:08 pm

Yeah, but it was a GILLIAM movie! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 22nd, 2005, 5:50 pm

While we're on the topic of musicals, I wanna say that I'd really wish they'd have more songs in animated films, and not just Smash mouth, either. The attitude most animated films (cinemation!:P) have taken on really bugs me - they portray singing in movies as annoying (Ala Shrek). Stupid...Would films like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King be nearly as good without their music?And it's not just animation fans. Fellow teenagers (whom seem to be the target of a lot of the CG films nowadays) like, that's right, LIKE musicals. Maybe that's just because I'm in theater class and whatnot, but it seems to me musicals are more liked than most execs think.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » November 22nd, 2005, 9:04 pm

I agree with you Meg. BATB and TLK wouldn't be as good without the music. Of course some ppl who were in the production doubt it at times (who doesn't doubt their own film before it's released anyway?)but it turned out well didn't it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 23rd, 2005, 6:08 am

Meg wrote:While we're on the topic of musicals, I wanna say that I'd really wish they'd have more songs in animated films, and not just Smash mouth, either. The attitude most animated films (cinemation!:P) have taken on really bugs me - they portray singing in movies as annoying (Ala Shrek). Stupid...Would films like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King be nearly as good without their music?And it's not just animation fans. Fellow teenagers (whom seem to be the target of a lot of the CG films nowadays) like, that's right, LIKE musicals. Maybe that's just because I'm in theater class and whatnot, but it seems to me musicals are more liked than most execs think.
You know, one of my first posts here was on the topic of this (and if you're interested, here you go). I even feel that if done correctly, an animated musical in 2D could revive the dying genre. Hopefully The Simpsons movie will be a musical (this could help revive the 2D genre due to the show's immense popularity, in my opinion), especially since some of their songs in certain episodes rock (Sharri Bobbins: But if you cut every corner, you'll have more time to play! It's the American way!).
-Joe

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2005, 1:58 pm

If the Simpsons is a musical, it will spoof animated musicals, like South Park did so very well.