Sigh...what if...

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Sigh...what if...

Post by Wonderlicious » January 13th, 2006, 8:29 am

I don't mean to sound like a bit of a Darren Downer, but I want you to think what I should do.

I am currently seventeen and I really would like to go into the film/TV industry as part of the creative process. I have made a few short films in the past. Nothing along the lines of a spectacular spectacular (Moulin Rouge reference! ;) ), but nice enough (if you want me to, I'll post links to one or two of them). However, there are a few obstacles:

1. One area that I have very recently had a desire to go into in animation. However, there's one problem; whilst I have an Art GCSE and I have done some very minimal animation in the past (my film that I created incorporates a bit), I don't think that I'm currently employed enough. Call me arrogant, but I dropped Art as I felt angry with the whole system. Essentially, all I was doing (and would probably be doing for A-Level as well) was copying other artists' work. If I ever incorporated my style where possible, it pretty much got rejected and commented on negatively. Remember the brief flashback in the Brush with Greatness episode of The Simpsons (the one where Marge revives her talent for art)? Essentially, I am Marge. I'm really worried that what I did has hindered possibilities.

2. In addition to this, I think that I've applied for the wrong thing to do at university. I'm doing French and German come September, and I keep thinking that this was the wrong thing to do. I have some interest in these, but I can't help but worry that I'll wind up in a job that I really don't want to do due to taking these subjects.

3. I am worried that if I ever do get into the industry, I may end up unemployed. I've heard that jobs are scarce in a number of places in entertainment, and this scares me.

I am sorry for sounding like a gloomy fool, but I understand that some of you here are in the TV/film industry, so I'd really like to receive some advice from you guys over here.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 13th, 2006, 2:40 pm

I have to agree with you on the Arts system. Terrible...All the rules and guidelines, and then grading it on top of that. Grading it! How do you grade art?

I understand how you feel, because I was dumb enough to let my peeves about art classes get in the way of common sense. This being the first year where we got to choose a class, I signed up for Theater rather than Studio in Art. Ugh. I can still take it next year, but it means I have to super-cramp my schedule for the next three years if I’m to take all the other classes I’m interested in.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 13th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Getting a degree in animation really won't do you any good.

Take classes in art techniques that are MARKETABLE and on top of that take BUSINESS classes. Learn how to sell and manage yourself in addition to art fundamentals.

The sad truth is that the theatrical feature market for traditional hand-drawn animation died off a few years ago when Disney started closing down its satellite studios in France, Japan, and Canada capping off with the closings of both the Florida and Burbank animation facilities.

Disney feature animation is a sad shell of what it used to be and chances are the whole thing will be shuttered IF Disney buys out Pixar or renegotiates for a multi-year distribution deal with the Pix folks.

There are a lot of small companies still surviving out there, but they're far fewer than what there used to be. Many, many small commercial studios and Disney outsource destinations closed up after the work from the Mouse trickled to a halt.

The places that still exist do primarily backgrounds, layouts, storyboards, and SOME character design for cheap TV productions. 99% of the time they don't do animation -- that's done overseas.

I know it sounds discouraging, but a lot of the pros blow smoke up the students' behinds and make it sound like things are better than they actually are. Others completely discourage people from entering the field because there really aren't enough jobs as things stand for even the veteran artists...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 13th, 2006, 5:27 pm

I think it also depends on which meduim you want to do; hand-drawn, CGI, or stop-motion.

I'd like to see some of your shorts, BTW. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 14th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Meg wrote:I think it also depends on which meduim you want to do; hand-drawn, CGI, or stop-motion.

I'd like to see some of your shorts, BTW. ;)
Well, it's nothing special and it breaches a few copyright laws, but...

1604: Shakespeare Time Capsule

Essentially, this is a spoof of the time capsule special on the Bambi DVD, this time covering 1604, the year of Othello. The minimal animation is a bit poor, but they are computer drawings, so don't hurt me. Plus, I want humour to carry the short along... :p
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 14th, 2006, 6:18 pm

:D

Thanks to you, I'll never do drugs as long as I live!

Heh heh. That was funny. Reminds me of my animations...They're computer drawn too.