I believe I can Fly
No votes
I believe I can touch the Sky
No votes

Total votes: 10

GeorgeC

Tim Burton Discussion

Post by GeorgeC » November 9th, 2005, 12:05 am

As far as I know, the Big Fish: Special Edition DVD set is IDENTICAL to last year's release with the exception that the DVD is packed in a slipcase with a small hardcover book. The DVD itself looks to be the EXACT SAME DVD released last year. All the extras are the same on the "new" edition, the DVD cover looks to be the same, and the numeral on the side of the DVD set is the SAME as last year's DVD.

Again, unless you really want the book, there's no point getting the "new" edition of Big Fish unless you don't have the film on DVD already.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory got released in 3 editions today. 2 are 1-disc movie only, Fullscreen/Pan-and-Scan or Widescreen/Anamorphic. The 2-disc edition has the extras on Disc Two and is Widescreen/Anamorphic only.

Again, this film is NOT to be confused with the Gene Wilder version aka Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Two different takes on the same story.

Edward Scissorhands also got a new release (15th Anniversary!) today. What differences exist between this and the 10th Anniversary Edition I don't know. The 15th Anniversary Edition looks to have the same extras as the 10th and is also anamorphic. Whether the video has really been re-mastered, again I don't know. The most obvious physical differences from the earlier release are that the 15th Anniversary Edition is packed in a collector's tin case and has a different picture on the front than the previous edition.

My recommendation is to get th 15th Anniversary Edition if you don't have the older (2000) anamorphic release but don't expect a dramatic video upgrade. Both editions are anamorphic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 9th, 2005, 8:54 am

The Edward disc is the exact same disc in a new cover.

What I need to know is if the 2-disc Charlie/Choc disc comes with a slipcover in the US...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 9th, 2005, 9:56 am

Yes, the 2-disc Charlie set comes with a slipcover.

Be aware that not every dealer got the slipcover. It's a limited edition.

Most places I went to yesterday had the slipcover, but one of the biggest DVD sellers (Best Buy) DIDN'T on any of the 2-disc sets I saw.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2005, 10:38 am

Thanks George!

As I say in the "New DVD Thread", my retailer only has the non-slip ones, which is a shame if its an LE deal, as it makes it a pretty cool one to own.

Polar Express is the same deal - my importer has it now without the slips, which it should have.

You wouldn't (or someone) be able to pick these up for me? I can PayPal whatever the cost is. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 11th, 2005, 11:51 am

Ben wrote:Thanks George!

As I say in the "New DVD Thread", my retailer only has the non-slip ones, which is a shame if its an LE deal, as it makes it a pretty cool one to own.

Polar Express is the same deal - my importer has it now without the slips, which it should have.

You wouldn't (or someone) be able to pick these up for me? I can PayPal whatever the cost is. :)

I'll get back to you on that within the next few (3-4) days.

I'll see what I can do.

Right now, my money IS tight, but I can think I can swing something and do you a BIG favor.

There should still be some slipcases left in MINT condition by the time I get back to Columbus...

I don't even have a Charlie 2-disc set myself, but I was planning on getting it anyway.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2005, 9:40 am

Hey George, that would be great.

I can PayPal you the funds before if you'd like (here's hopin you have a PP account now!) :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 15th, 2005, 12:07 am

I got the Wonka 2-disc slipcase today! (Got myself one, too...)

It seems to be a very limited edition. (Same 2-disc set everywhere, only a limited amount have the slipcase though.) Again, the only stores that got it in town were members of the same company (Suncoast, Media Play).

It was $22.99... I don't know why it was that high, but that was the cheapest I saw it in town.

They have like 3 or 4 stickers on the slip and I'm not touching them!

Anyhow, I figure I'll Saran-wrap the set to protect the slip and then wrap it again in a cut-up padded envelope to give it extra protection. Then, I'll pack the thing again in a that I recently got 3 DVDs in. Sure be more than enough room for it and SHOULD protect it well.

(Can you tell I really DON'T trust shipping companies to handle these things well? :lol: )

I do have a PayPal account, Ben, but wait a bit until I I get a final tally on the shipping costs. I'll try to find something that's reliable but reasonable. I don't know if I'll go FedEx/UPS. I doubt I'll use the local post office SINCE THEY SEEM TO HAVE LOST AN ORDER I PLACED FOR AN ELECTRIC TIKI STATUE (!), but we'll see.

I do want to get this disc set out by the middle of the week so that we don't have to deal with Thanksgiving. Shipping gets nuts in the U.S. after Thanksgiving!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2005, 9:43 am

Wow - thanks George!!

Shipping a DVD from the US is usally around $7 via Airmail (no need to FedEx or any express postage) and should arrive with me in six-ten days.

Then again, can I be REALLY cheeky and say that it looks like I have the same problem with Polar Express. My retailer has his stock in for the release in a few days, but only one came with a slip (?) and he's keeping that for himself. I can PP you funds to cover now, going on the $22.99 price, but would you be able to pick that up for me too?

I really don't mind paying anything up front and would be happy to return the favor if there's ever anything in Europe/the UK that catches your eye. Also don't mind paying and have you hold on to the discs until you think the hectic postage will have died down before you send them.

Yeah - leave the stickers, I have my "methods"... and I appreciate the added packing. You're very much like me there!

Thanks again George! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 15th, 2005, 12:16 pm

Polar Express?

<Sigh>

I'll see what I can do... It should be released here very soon. Maybe this week.

I've gotta exchange one of the Wonkas because the slipcase was messed up ("crinkled") and I didn't catch that yesterday.

Hopefully, I'll get the darned thing shipped by tomorrow.

I really want to beat the holiday shipping traffic!

Believe me -- it gets NUTS!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2005, 2:14 pm

I was going to say that if you were able to get Polar for me, then hold on to Wonka until you have that and ship both when the shipping frenzy dies down.

The listed street date is 22 November I think.

Thanks again - let me know totals (I'm guessing around $22.99 + $22.99 + around $15 shipping = $61 roughly) and private message me your PayPal details.

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 15th, 2005, 2:43 pm

Am I the only person that hates those slipcases? As soon as i get a DVD with one the slipcase goes straight to a box in my garage! The only time i keep them out is if it is a multi-disk collection in a slipcase.

When I want to watch a movie i don't want to fiddle with a second box! In fact if i had the money I'd love one of those DVD servers where I could just rip the movie at full quality onto a hard drive connected to the TV, and box all the dvd cases!

Or maybe I'm just lazy!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 15th, 2005, 3:01 pm

James wrote:Am I the only person that hates those slipcases? As soon as i get a DVD with one the slipcase goes straight to a box in my garage! The only time i keep them out is if it is a multi-disk collection in a slipcase.
I personally don't mind slipcovers, but I don't regard them as essential. I wouldn't throw them out when I get them, but if the only copy that I could find didn't come with a slip when it originally had one, I frankly wouldn't be bothered. To tell the truth, I think that some covers look better slipcover-less; if you saw the UK Mary Poppins with a slip, I can assure you that you may be put off the set. :lol:
James wrote:In fact if i had the money I'd love one of those DVD servers where I could just rip the movie at full quality onto a hard drive connected to the TV, and box all the dvd cases!

Or maybe I'm just lazy!

:shock: Can you actually get things to do that? Oh me, oh my...technology really is advancing, and it's scaring me. :(
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2005, 9:41 pm

Well, I like'em, especially limited editions.

I hear the attraction of ripped-typed servers (hey, VOD!) but as an old-school LaserDisc boxed set fan, I like my packaging!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 15th, 2005, 11:45 pm

Ben wrote:I was going to say that if you were able to get Polar for me, then hold on to Wonka until you have that and ship both when the shipping frenzy dies down.

The listed street date is 22 November I think.

Thanks again - let me know totals (I'm guessing around $22.99 + $22.99 + around $15 shipping = $61 roughly) and private message me your PayPal details.

OK, I'll hold on to Wonka and mail it next week with the Polar Express...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2005, 11:57 am

Thanks George - that's fantastic!

LMK your details as and when, okay? PM me. :)