I believe I can Fly
No votes
I believe I can touch the Sky
No votes

Total votes: 10

Lino

Your thoughts on the films of Tim Burton

Post by Lino » January 13th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Now I feel like Im the only one to feel this way but I find his film both weird and disgusting. Its so sad that he insists on pushing these gothic kids films. I found the nightmare before christmas was toallty inappropriate for a Disney film, it was to dreary, frightning and abit boring. However many seem to enjoy it and regard it as a classic.

He demolished Charlie and the chocolate factory with his freakish Johnny depp wonka and decides to come out with another corruptive stop-motion flick "Corpes Bride" now even if it is a good film what parents want to take there kids to a movie that begins with corpes? This guys not all bad, I mean who can forget beetle juice, alot want to but no one can. Sure he can make a good horror but why doesnt he leave the kids alone and let the pros handle it. Some say hes weird and some say hes making a statement. I think hes making a satement alright...HES WEIRD!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SingingDuckGirl » January 13th, 2006, 10:15 pm

Tim Burton weird? yes. Disgusting...I don't know about that. Not that negative.
Tim Burton makes animated films because he /likes animation./ CalArts grad. And he could, if he wanted to, make R rated stop-motion films, that I'm sure might find some sort of cult audience. But he doesn't. And in my opinion, Nightmare and Corpse Bride are very nice films that take scary things and...use them in touching love stories and awesome music with Danny Elfman. And don't forget about James and the Giant Peach! That was dark too, but it was based after a dark book...but still a very lovable and enjoyable flick.
Which leads into his other film based after a Roald Dahl book: Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Sure, Johnny Depp's weird. But it made the movie for me. I know people take it as a Michael Jackson perverted thing (I think I remember even reading about that a little bit here) but if you don't take it that way...why wouldn't Wonka be like that? Before I saw it, I remember I heard a review from a Christian film critic, who is usually very harsh, praise it for the good messages it sends and for how enjoyable it was to the kiddies.
His kids movies may seem scarier than...Cinderella. But for kids who are ready for it, I think they're perfectly fine, and maybe even good for kids to have fun singing along with a skelleton or corpse - make it not as scary. Yeah, he is weird, but it's good to have something different like that in the film industry. And he's really just being himself, doing what he loves, but still striving to make his movies good, which a lot of directors miss when making a "this is me" movie.
But that's my opinion. You aren't the first one I've heard to say they don't like his style, and that's fine :)
"Opinions are immunity to being told you're wrong. Paper rock and scissors they all have their pros and cons."
btw, a good Burton film to see that's not disgusting nor horror and well, still weird, but in a very very very good way, is Big Fish. Very sweet movie.
imo :wink:

EDIT: Whoa, looked it up, and James and the Giant Peach wasn't Tim Burton? Fooled me...wait he only produced it...ok

Lino

Post by Lino » January 13th, 2006, 11:12 pm

I didnt mean he himself was disgusting just the worm popping out of the eye ball type of things. You make some good points my friend and I do agree, peach is one of the better stop-motion films. Im so used to bright flicks it can be hard to watch alot of these on a day other than halloween, corpes bride is acctually pretty down to earth but I think it Box Office gross would have done better with a differant title, I mean it had to compete with W&G. Never begin a childrens film title with the word corpes.
Last edited by Lino on January 19th, 2006, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » January 14th, 2006, 6:16 am

I love Burton, i don't find his works disgusting at all! Disney did it years before in his themepark (remember Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribbean?? Skulls and bones all around!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 14th, 2006, 9:57 am

Whilst all the works of his that I've seen aren't 100% perfect, I highly respect him as a director, mainly due to his visual style. It's so haunting and beautiful, and is a joy to the eye.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 14th, 2006, 6:30 pm

He's movies are okay. I haven't seen too many of them, and the ones I have never really stuck out to me, except maybe Big Fish.

I've seen Nightmare Before Christmas, but that was when I was a little kid and it scared me, so I try to avoid watching it nowadays. Then again, Roger Rabbit also freaked me out so I guess that's nit saying much.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2006, 11:49 am

I must point out that these points are why both The Nightmare Before Christmas and Who Framed Roger Rabbit were released as Touchstone Pictures.

James And The Giant Peach was a Burton production, as was Nightmare, produced by the same team, but released under the Disney label.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 17th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Ben wrote:James And The Giant Peach was a Burton production, as was Nightmare, produced by the same team, but released under the Disney label.
Hey Ben, do you know why James and the Giant Peach is a Pathe film over here? Was it simply a co-production of sorts, and so Pathe got to distribute it in Europe?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

Lino

Post by Lino » January 17th, 2006, 1:42 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by Lino on January 19th, 2006, 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2006, 2:04 pm

MonkeyBone was nothing to do with Tim Burton. It was directed by Henry Selick, but produced by Fox and Chris (Home Alone, Mrs Doubtrfire, Harry Potter, Rent) Columbus.

Peach was a Pathe film here as it was a co-pro with Allied Filmmakers, who have an international distribution deal with Pathe. Your guess was correct. :)

Lino

Post by Lino » January 17th, 2006, 3:28 pm

I must have my lines crossed here, I got Henrey mixed up with burton because he directed the nightmare b4 xmas, when I always hear "from the director who brought you so and so nightmare before xmas" I assumed it had burton finger prints. my bad :oops: !

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Scissorhands » January 17th, 2006, 10:02 pm

I should think people would be able to tell by my name here :D
I freakin' love Tim Burton! Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands are two of my top favorite movies of all time 8)
I dont think Tim does anything disgusting in his movies. Things like Maggot popping out of the corpse bride's eye socket is just some dark humor :D I guess its not to everyones tastes :)
He really doesnt do pure scary, dark films(Sleepy Hollow comes the closest to that though)
Burton's movies are usually sweet, and touching at their core. ex: Big Fish, Corpse Bride, Nightmare, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, ect

And when he teams up with Johnny Depp and Danny Elfman... :D 8) :) They are the best team ever!

Lino

Post by Lino » January 17th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Well I was right, I am the only one to feel this way. I dont get it, I love a good dark movie once and a while, maybe Ill see a burton just to give it another shot.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2006, 5:28 pm

I'm seeing the Edward Scissorhands ballet on Friday evening and am very excited!

BTW, I'm a huge Burton fan too (right back from Frankenweenie and Pee Wee), but have found his recent stuff lacking.

Took me a couple of goes at Sleepy Hollow (though I love it now), but Planet Of The Apes was just dumb and not a Burton flick at all, while Big Fish wasn't nearly as magical as it could have been and turned out to be fairly empty for me.

A somewhat return to form this year with the two Depp movies, which bodes well for upcoming projects (including a rumored new big screen Pee Wee).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 19th, 2006, 7:51 am

Lino wrote:Well I was right, I am the only one to feel this way. I dont get it, I love a good dark movie once and a while, maybe Ill see a burton just to give it another shot.
No, you're not. My mom doesn't like them either. Like I said, I enjoy them, but I'm not OMG crazy over them. :)