The Underrated animated movies of the '90's

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
Lino

The Underrated animated movies of the '90's

Post by Lino » January 20th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Remember back in the nineties, the era of Were back & the pebble and penguin? Im not sure why MGM and amblin animation seemed to stop so abuptly but I wouldnt have minded seeing those flicks in CGI. I guess that would be Dinosaur and happy feet but still, I think those films deserve there due credit along with the more popular flicks of the nineties, what are your favs?
Last edited by Lino on January 20th, 2006, 9:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 20th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I refuse to pick a favorite.

Period.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 20th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Yikes! I have a feeling this is gonna get ugly, and fast.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 22nd, 2006, 5:08 pm

(looks at previous post)

Whoops! Wrong topic!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 22nd, 2006, 5:17 pm

I don't mean to cause fights, but what exactly has happened to Lino?

But on the topic of underrated animated films, does anyone remember Freddie as FRO7? I liked that film as a kid, though I have a funny feeling that if I saw it again, I'd understand why it's generally obscure and underrated.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 22nd, 2006, 5:50 pm

Cats Don't Dance.

Period.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 22nd, 2006, 6:05 pm

Iron Giant! :D

Um, is it just me, or did this topic like...change? And what DID happen to Lino??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2006, 6:45 pm

Anyone ever see "We're Back! A Dinosour's Story"? I happen to have a soft spot for that film even though the story is kind of ridiculous (Dinosours brought back from the stone age by scientist who feeds them cereal to make them super-smart) It was produced by Spielberg or something, and it came out in '94. It's also one of those "forgotten" films.
Yeardly Smith, the voice of Lisa Simpson, is in it too.
The animation is also quite nice.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 22nd, 2006, 8:41 pm

I used to watch that movie all the time! :D Not sure if I still have it or not.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2006, 9:57 pm

I love the part with the "Wish Radio." :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 22nd, 2006, 11:33 pm

What happened to Lino?

And I could name several underrated films from the '90's, but I'm not good at picking favorites.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » January 23rd, 2006, 4:57 am

ShyViolet wrote:Anyone ever see "We're Back! A Dinosour's Story"? I happen to have a soft spot for that film even though the story is kind of ridiculous (Dinosours brought back from the stone age by scientist who feeds them cereal to make them super-smart) It was produced by Spielberg or something, and it came out in '94. It's also one of those "forgotten" films.
Yeardly Smith, the voice of Lisa Simpson, is in it too.
The animation is also quite nice.
You know, I seem to remember seeing a trailer for that when I saw Aladdin in the cinema as a kid. I felt interested in seeing it, but never saw it as it never really got a wide release over here. Yet it was on TV once, and we taped it. However, despite doing that, I never actually got round to watching it. I'm not sure if we still have the video that it was taped on, but if we do, I may watch it. Then again, it was shown before the BBC showed films in widescreen. Pan and scan... :roll:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 23rd, 2006, 10:38 am

Wonderlicious wrote:I don't mean to cause fights, but what exactly has happened to Lino?

But on the topic of underrated animated films, does anyone remember Freddie as FRO7? I liked that film as a kid, though I have a funny feeling that if I saw it again, I'd understand why it's generally obscure and underrated.
lol, that film is so... so very very bad. lol. Seriously, I can't believe it came out the same year as Aladdin. That one shows just how seriously ahead of the competition Disney was at the time. Not only is it bad, it's so bizarre it's actually funny... really.. you should check it out again.. and get a good laugh out of it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 23rd, 2006, 10:48 am

Don't forget "An American Tale: Fievel Goes West". (1991) It's divorced from Bluth and is only under Spielberg's Amblin. Not as good as the original but the music and designs were nice...it's a cute outing anyway.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 23rd, 2006, 2:39 pm

I used to watch that all the time, too. Wow, this thread is bringing back memories...