Tom Bancroft's "Creating Characters" book

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Tom Bancroft's "Creating Characters" book

Post by GeorgeC » March 9th, 2006, 3:08 am

I'm amazed nobody's mentioned this book here!

Tom Bancroft was a Disney animator who worked at both American studio sites on the major Disney 2-D films of the past 16 years.

He was let go or went off on his own like many other people in the wake of the dismantling of the leftovers of the original Disney Studios. He currently has a partnership with another ex-Disney artist and they develop shows and characters for children's television.

His book is by far the best-looking one by an animation artist in a LONG time. Much better than any of the Christopher Hart books have been for quite a while (avoid the Hart anime/manga books like the plague) and definitely a worthy addition to beginning art student libraries and animation afficionados.

I like Bancroft's artwork and the lessons in the book are picked with tons of examples of character types and the slight sketch changes and design attitudes that make the character types "work" or "not QUITE work." The guy definitely seems to know what he's talking about.

I picked up my copy at Borders but I'm pretty sure Barnes & Noble has the book now, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 9th, 2006, 7:50 am

Cool- I'll keep my eyes open for it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 29th, 2006, 12:28 am

I probably have 10 Christopher Hart books. They were great at first, but after a while, I discovered other cartoonists with their own books that appealed to me more. I'm not saying he isn't talented. The guy knows his stuff. I just don't like his style as much as that of other artists.

Anyway...I have to find this book! Creating characters is something I love to do. Naming them is a different story.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]