What children's stories would you like seeing made ?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

What children's stories would you like seeing made ?

Post by BDuncan » May 2nd, 2006, 9:03 pm

What children's stories would you like seeing made into animated films?
What favorite or highly admired children's story or stories would you like seeing turned into a (traditional or computer) animated film and please say why, for any one named ?

If any highly admired children's story was or has been adpated into a live action film, but you reckon it was poorly, averagely and unfaithfully done (because stuff was left out), that's ok to mention.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » May 2nd, 2006, 10:11 pm

I'd love to see Santa Mouse done as an Animation and actually (braces for impact) I'd like to see it done ala Polar Express. It's one of those tales that just makes you feel all warm inside and kinda has a dreamy experience attached to it.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 3rd, 2006, 12:14 am

I agree, Santa Mouse would be very enjoyable. I think someone should do a movie of Norton Juster's "The Phantom Tollbooth". I know that Chuck Jones did one already, but he did a terrible job of it. He only kept about a third of the book's storyline and made the rest up and the result is a film I wouldn't make my worst enemy sit through. I would love it if somebody went back and did it right. Unfortunately I don't think that's ever going to happen as the book is so obscure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 3rd, 2006, 7:56 am

I'd love to see an animated short film of Pagoo. Yesh.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2006, 4:32 pm

I'd like to see "The Emperor's New Clothes" get the classic animation treatment, but that's more to do with the fact that I have already written the film and created 16 song demos for it.

In fact, we were at Disney with it but things didn't work out. But it would still be a much better movie than 75% of what Disney has put out since the late 1990s.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 3rd, 2006, 4:38 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » May 3rd, 2006, 7:56 pm

I almost mentioned that Ben LOL
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 3rd, 2006, 11:33 pm

Frankly,

I HATE the idea of children's stories.

Once you label something a "kid's/children's story," every nitwit with power and money (ie, the people who run the entertainment business) thinks you mean something that talks down to kids and is mind-numbingly dull. (It's sad but true that a lot of directors and artists think this way, too.)

I call baloney on that! I'd use harsher language to get my point across, but baloney is along the lines of the language I'd use to express my frustration.

A good story is a good story regardless of any CONTRIVED age group.

Just get good stories in the theaters and people will come in.

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia were all successes because they WERE great stories! It doesn't matter that they're thought of as "juvenile" literature. They beat the pants off of 99% of the R- and NC-17 films because they were entertaining stories.

Now, what do I think could be adapted into good movies?
Eragon, Eldest, and their sequel story (yet to be published) which make up The Inheritance Trilogy; and it's about time somebody did a decent animated version of the King Arthur story. All the animated versions INCLUDING Disney's "Sword in the Stone" STINK to high heaven. For King Arthur, perhaps basing it on a more recent retelling such as The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead is the way to go. That series preserves the essentials of the mythology WITHOUT throwing away the majesty and mysticism. (The latter part is a big problem I have with some retellings of the Arthur legend like the Camulod Chronicles.)

There's plenty of other material rife for adaptation assuming the right people with reverance for the material get hired to do the job. That's 90% of the problem with most adaptations now -- the right people don't get attached to the jobs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 4th, 2006, 8:00 am

I really don't like the Inheritance series. It wouldn't have gotten published, IMHO, if the kids' parents didn't own a publishing

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 4th, 2006, 1:26 pm

I would love to see The Wind in the Willows. Although it might not be "hip" enough. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » May 4th, 2006, 2:06 pm

There are a number of things that I'd love to see Disney make as animated films; The Wizard of Oz, The Frog Prince, George's Marvellous Medicene and Tom Thumb are all examples. As fan fiction, I'm coming up with my own adaptations for these.
Shy Violet wrote:I would love to see The Wind in the Willows. Although it might not be "hip" enough. :roll:
The Wind in the Willows has been made on film; there's the section in the anthology feature The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad and the version with Terry Jones in (though that was immature in places), plus many TV versions.
Ben wrote:I'd like to see "The Emperor's New Clothes" get the classic animation treatment, but that's more to do with the fact that I have already written the film and created 16 song demos for it.

In fact, we were at Disney with it but things didn't work out. But it would still be a much better movie than 75% of what Disney has put out since the late 1990s.
Really? I know that you're in the industry, but still, it's amazing seeing someone who actually has been in talks with Disney about their movie being made. :shock:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 4th, 2006, 2:36 pm

The Wizard of Oz and The Frog Prince would make great animated films. Audiences might not go for TWoO, though - it would be hard to beat the original.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » May 5th, 2006, 5:32 am

Meg wrote:The Wizard of Oz and The Frog Prince would make great animated films. Audiences might not go for TWoO, though - it would be hard to beat the original.
That's the number one problem for a film of The Wizard of Oz; the 1939 film has become so iconic that people will make comparisons and dub it a "remake" no matter what, just like what happened to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And after the box office fate of the much underrated Return to Oz (which is an adaptation of the book sequels to the original novel and not a sequel to the 1939 classic), I fear that executives would stop it as they fear they won't make a profit. It's a shame, as an adaptation of the tale in animation would be perfect for the medium. :(
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Wonderlicious wrote:I know that you're in the industry, but still, it's amazing seeing someone who actually has been in talks with Disney about their movie being made. :shock:
I keep meaning to get some kind of website up with the demos and story up on it, as so many people wanna hear the songs, but doing something decent for it would take up too much time.

Still, maybe one day...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 7th, 2006, 9:14 pm

I would love to see that!