Best Danny Elfman Score?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Best Danny Elfman Score?

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2006, 3:25 pm

For me: Tie: Batman and Edward Scissorhands.

But Batman Returns is AMAZING. The first soundtrack I ever got, too. :)

:wink:

Here's a really weird quote from IMBD:

I've known Sam [Raimi] for almost 15 years. Spider-Man 2 was my fifth movie with him and all I can say is that the person who was there at the end of Spider-Man 2 was not Sam. I don't know who it was, but it wasn't Sam. It was as close to living out Invasion of the Body Snatchers as I've ever experienced. To see such a profound negative change in a human being was almost enough to make me feel like I didn't want to make films anymore. It was really disheartening and sad to see the way it ended up.

I don't think he ever got an Oscar. Can you believe it?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Batman and Sciccorhands changed film music...period.

Listen to anything from big studio movies since...they are all riffs on that type of orchestral scoring. Brilliant stuff, and Bats Returns only builds on the vast atmospheric tones he created for the first film.

As for Spidey 3...no, he's not doing the score. The story seems to be that Raimi got tied to the temp music and wouldn't let Elfman play with any of the themes, becoming some egotistical monster. They parted ways, though Danny says that Sony/Raimi can still use his themes, but that he's sticking to his relationship to Tim Burton from now on.

Still loads of time to get an Oscar...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 7th, 2006, 7:32 pm

I think his best work was, hands down, "The Nightmare Before Christmas". The soundtrack plays more like a concept album and the epilogue (unused in the film) gives the story a perfect sense of closure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 7th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Danny's best score was for The Nightmare Before Christmas, but he's done so many other things that I think people overlook.

He did a great job with the theme songs for Family Dog, The Simpsons, and Men In Black. I LOVE his music from Family Dog, even though it's not very well known.

I hope that what he does for Meet the Robinsons rocks!

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 7th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Even though it's not my favorite I just have to mention 1990 Dick Tracy score.

Some things in life have a profound effect on you...for me that's one of them.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » May 9th, 2006, 3:32 am

Definitely Edward Scissorhands for me... I think he really nailed Tim Burton's 'gothic fairytale' feel there, although a lot of his work comes close. Corpse Bride music was more like 'scissorhands lite', but I loved the Victorian influence throughout the score (harpsichord! GILBERT & SULLIVAN!!!... sorry, music geek:P)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Scrooged (although a lot of people don't remember it) was pretty good too.

Because it was originally meant to be a much darker film, a lot of his music wasn't included.
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 9th, 2006, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2006, 5:42 pm

His score is there, but it's buried, unfortunately.

I think that was his most personally disappointing assignment on a film...until Spidey 2 came along and he was Raimied...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Even though it could have been better, Scrooged is still one of my favorite films....there's some really cool camerawork and camera angles, love the acting by Murray, love the humor. It always brings a smile to my face.

Also wasn't Richard Donner (Superman) the director?

until Spidey 2 came along and he was Raimied...
I like that word "Ramied". It sounds cool. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Yeah, I loved Scrooged too...

"Towell, towell, towell, VHS, towell, towell, VHS, towell, towell, towell..." :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2006, 9:40 am

I first saw it in sixth grade (I was eleven) when when my school showed it right before the holidays...I didn't understand it at all and it actually scared me pretty badly! :roll: :oops: (especially when he's about to be "cremated")

I saw it again years later and was like: "Oh wow this movie's hilarious!" :)

I love how his boss Robert Mitchum says: "Do you know that cats and dogs are begining to watch television?" and that sleazy dirctor Bryce Cummings who wants his job....soooooo funny and very timely even today. :wink:

"As my lacrosse coach used to say, there is no "I" in team!"

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 11th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Don't forget the casting of Buddy Hackett as Scrooge in the TV special. Funny stuff in that movie. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » May 12th, 2006, 4:19 am

love everything he does, from the greatness of Batman to the theme of Desperate Housewives. He can do no wrong in my opinion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 2:58 pm

I got part of the Beetlejuice theme for my cell phone! :D It rocks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Chaya » June 23rd, 2006, 6:44 pm

Hmmm... Personally I love Elfman's work for Black Beauty. It's an extremely rare soundtrack and if you can find it for under $100, if you can find it at all, then your one luck person. It's a beautiful score.

I also enjoy Batman Returns, Planet of the Apes, and Good Will Hunting
"May traditional animation live long and prosper!"