I have original 1934 Animated News -Fleischer Comics

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

I have original 1934 Animated News -Fleischer Comics

Post by ZoSo925 » July 18th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Im not sure if this forum is in association with Max Fleischer's Animated News, but back in 1975 my father purchased a bunch of comic books.

It's titled Fleischer's Animated News Vol. 1 Number 1 dated 1934

Ive got a whole bunch including Number 2- 10...etc

Im wondering how much these books are worth and considering putting them up on ebay. If worst comes to worst, I'll have to put a hidden reserve untill I find out more info.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ZoSo925 » July 19th, 2006, 2:51 am

I just listed this on Ebay. I'll answer any questions

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fleischer-Animated- ... dZViewItem

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2006, 9:00 am

Hi,

No, we're not associated since this site was developed from the original "Animated Movies" site. As fans and friends of that site, we continued to deliver news on animated matters when that site had to close down.

eBay doesn't seem to be the right way to sell these and I'm not sure you'll get that price you want per copy. You also don't list any details, such as page number count, the content of the magazine such as interesting articles, historical artwork, etc, or the size...

My advice to you would be to get these valued and maybe put the whole bunch up as a lot at Sotherby's or Christies auction. They are obviously worth something, but $500 per magazing is pushing things. If you've got a bunch of them in successive order (a good run with no gaps), you'd get more for them, maybe even more than you would per copy on eBay.

At the very least you should make clear the item description and the fact you have more issues - someone buying this for $500 to find out you have more may be mighty peeved.

Seriously, get these valued professionally by an authentic and respected auction house. You may be selling the buyer - or yourself - short.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ZoSo925 » July 19th, 2006, 1:34 pm

ok, I was considering putting them all up. Im going to revise and list them all with a link to my site showing all the pictures of each issue.

My dad actually paid $500 for that #1 issue back in 1975

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Well, now I think you're crazy! :)

You have revised the listing for ALL 12 magazines at $500??

You could easily get more than that for each magazine if you got these valued properly.

I know you have a reserve price, but there's still not enough documentation for a serious bidder to make a proper assumption on your lot.

However, good luck! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ZoSo925 » July 19th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Ive got a really high reserve price. Im going to take your suggestion and look into those auction houses and apprasial

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Cool, let me know how it goes.

In the meantime, I'll hope that your eBay reserve is high enough to stave off anyone out to pick up a bargain!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ZoSo925 » July 26th, 2006, 3:34 pm

The auction closed. I had set the reserve at $25,000 and my dad purchased these books for $9,000 back in 1975.

I hate to say anything really negative but some guy as named Leslie Cabarga from FlashFonts.com has contacted me several times. He has interest in purchasing my newsletters, but says they are worth nothing!! and my dad got ripped off. I think this guy is nuts, the price stickers, some issues marked $800, my dad didnt get ripped off. My dad was very smart and had tons of connections back then. He knew what he was doing...etc

Ive got some original pencil artwork by Gib Crockett that my dad paid $250- back in the 70's. I wonder if that is worthless as well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2006, 11:07 am

Well, I hope you realize that I was not saying your property was worthless!

Far to the contrary - I was encouraging you to get them assessed professionally, since $500 for the lot was a bonkers price.

I also don't think you'll get $25,000. Maybe $10-15-20,000.

But get them checked out properly, and don't use eBay for anything as valuable in the future!!

Good luck!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ZoSo925 » August 1st, 2006, 5:37 pm

Oh no, someone sent me an email saying that.

Ive decided to sell copies of these and keep the originals.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » August 1st, 2006, 7:28 pm

Interesting to see that there was something called Animated News long before us.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ZoSo925 » February 13th, 2007, 5:16 pm

It's been a while and decided to sell the whole lot.

Ive got them listed on eBay now, and just listed them

Fleischer Animated News

>

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Good luck! :)