This "Lasseter is the new Walt" thing

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

John Lassester REALLY needs to stop acting like Walt

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » May 20th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Whenever I am on the internet I see criticism from people on John Lassester, I am also one of those people who criticizes this guy. Anyways I like the fact that he is trying to bring back 2D animation to Disney...But now he's acting like he's "Mr.Walt Disney" :x .

To begin with it, I am looking forward to the princess and the frog but however John just total made a poor choice when he removes Alan Menken on the last second. Thus replacing Pixar composer Randy Newman for the songs, Now for granted I'm giving Newman a chance since he did the songs for "Cats Don't Dance" but in my opinion seeing how P&TFG is being directed by John Musker and Ron Clements are directing the movie. It wouldve "felt" like I was watching Aladdin...

Now fans of Chris sanders are ticked for this guy firing and changing "American dog" into a "Clone" of toy story.{Way to go mr. {censored} you screwed up what wouldve been a good movie and turned it into something we've already seen!

Do the words "give people how they want their movies done a chance" mean ANYTHING to John lassester? NO it does not. Im sick that he's trying to make "Disney perfect" by acting like he's walt disney himself...he should just grow up. If Walt Disney himself was alive he would say the same thing...

What do you guys think?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 20th, 2009, 7:48 pm

I think you're making an issue out of something just for the sake of criticism.

Walt Disney's method of running the studio was very effective. So Lasseter's going back to a similar method. Why? Because it WORKS. Seriously, He knows what he's doing. How else would Pixar have become such a critically acclaimed studio? Because the head people there (including Lasseter) know what's important to telling a good story.
If Walt Disney himself was alive he would say the same thing...
Yeah... But he's not alive. And people really need to get past that. You could put a positive spin on things by saying that Lasseter is simply carrying on his legacy.

It's easy for us to sit here and nitpick over the decisions that he makes, but the fact is that most of us don't work there, thus we don't know the true reasoning behind those actions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » May 20th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Whippet, your taking this topic the wrong way. My father said this to me while I was interesting into producing my own series of cartoons..."if you carry on a legacy, do your own thang."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 20th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Lasseter is the head on the animation studio. He's SUPPOSED to act like he's in charge.

One can debate his choices--- that's fair enough--- but the fact is that he was hired to make choices, not let the studio run itself.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Merged this into an older conversation on this.

OGB...for various reasons recently, you are verging awfully close to annoying us. This sudden rant from out of nowhere just seemed totally random and, as usual for you, unreasoned. Be warned, and if you think you've any chance of producing anything of note with an attitude like that...well, good luck.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: John Lassester REALLY needs to stop acting like Walt

Post by EricJ » May 21st, 2009, 10:46 am

OriginalGagBonkers wrote:Now fans of Chris sanders are ticked for this guy firing and changing "American dog" into a "Clone" of toy story.{Way to go mr. {censored} you screwed up what wouldve been a good movie and turned it into something we've already seen!
Yeah, why couldn't Sanders have been allowed to turn his own movie into a clone of "Cars"? ;)

(We've NEVER seen materialistic jerks standed in backwater desert-highway towns with quirky pals he learns to appreciate before!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » May 21st, 2009, 11:25 am

Okay, Okay Okay! Ben I'll cool down... I wont do anything with attitude on here again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 25th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Wow, that rant that OGB made was almost like A john K rant...XD